• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

looking for people programming civilization wars with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi,

i had the idea to make a stand alone version of civilization wars (the wc3 map) for a long time now and knowing that creating such a project alone is rather tough i came here to seek for others that would like to work together to do this. This will be a hobby project only.

For anyone not familiar with the map, here a sample match can be seen:

Edit_1:
Gameplace description:
The game consists of a single map with 3 seperated lanes, top mid and bottom lane. The game can be played with 2 up to 6 players, so 1 to 3 players on each side.
The players control ONLY a single unit that is able to build different kind of buildings. Some buildings automatically spawn units in certain intervalls which then automatically (i.e. can not be controlled by the players) run across the lane to attack the enemy buildings (or attack enemy units). Other buildings are used to upgrade your units or your technology. Many different "ages" exist like for example in age of empires or empire earth, so you start with archaic units using spears and end up with tanks battleing each other if you research long enough.

The goal of the game is of course to defeat the enemy team by destroying their main building (each player has only 1 and can not build another) by overwhelming them with your units.

For now i do not want to recreate this in 3D as i have no experience in 3D graphic programming and i think it would take much longer to program the game with 3D graphics. So i imagine this to be a 2D version of the map.

Some words about myself:
I'm 27, student, and have been programming since i was ~16 years old (on and off of course).
Have learned C in university and studied Python and C++ myself, the latter being my language of choice! Have as well experience using SFML (1.6/2.1) and QT.

I planned to program the game in C++ using SFML 2.1 in combination with THOR (Website), a utility library written especially to be used alongside SFML that ships with classes for animations and particle systems.
I chose SFML because it is:
a) Simple and straight forward
b) Written in clear C++
c) Complete, offers everything you need to create a 2D game
d) Has an active developerer, good support and a good documentation
e) THOR adds very important classes (e.g. animation classes) which allows for faster development

Besides trying some things out that (most likely) will be relevant for the development of the game, such as adapting a component based design in some code of mine, i have not started yet. So how things are done precisely must be determined yet.

What i am looking for:
1 to 3 people, 20 or older, that can program in C++.
If you think C++ is C with classes then i am not looking for you. No need to be a complete master (I'm a scrub when it comes to non trivial metaprogramming), but you should have heard of the STL for example.
Knowing SFML is not a must as it can be learned very easily.

Important Note:
This is supposed to be a hobby project, i do not expect anyone to invest immense amounts of time every month/week into the project. if you feel at any point that you do not want to continue, no problem just say "i do not want to do this anymore" and we are cool.

How i picture the development process:

- we discuss the way we work, how often/when we want to discuss our progress, who does what, how much time you want to invest and so on

- we create a set of milestones which make progress visible and by that motivate (and mark convenient exit points), ideally so that you can reach a "milestone" in like two weeks of work or something. Note that any "deadline" is usually way too optimistic when it comes to programming haha.

- we focus on creating a working (i.e. does something) first version asap.
This is important as i am no graphic designer (i have like zero talent in creating graphics) and nobody will be willing to create sprites for a non existing project/game. I would use some dummy graphics/generic tilesets as a substitute at first.

- then we go from there

I have ideas for most of these points, but i do not want to force these upon you now.

Im from europe/germany myself, similar time zones might be advantageously (for real time convos once in a while).

I hope my intention became clear, if not i will update/edit this post to change or add information.

Looking forward to any response :)

Last edited:
Level 29
You sound like someone that has experience, which is a good start.
Do you have any projects or anything that you've made that you can show? Any demos that show you have practical experience?

You should add an explanation about the actual thing you want to make, I for one have no idea what the map is about by skimming over the video a little.

Do you have any plan as to where to get assets from?

Level 3
You sound like someone that has experience, which is a good start.
Do you have any projects or anything that you've made that you can show? Any demos that show you have practical experience?

Most recent project (that actually finished) can be seen here:
http://www.tnt.uni-hannover.de/project/facialanimation_demo/

I programmed most of it. I was using C++11 + Qt 5, but had a coworker that only did some 3D graphic transformations using OpenGL.
The implementation of the core features, most prominent the viterbi algorithm used to select the most fitting sequences of mouth samples, was implemented by myself. (Based on previous works by other members of the university though, which had horrible code^^)
I have too see what part of the code i could post here as i am definatly allowed to post it all ;)

You should add an explanation about the actual thing you want to make, I for one have no idea what the map is about by skimming over the video a little.

Will do, thanks.

Do you have any plan as to where to get assets from?

Assets as in "graphics needed"? If so, then not yet, no. As i mentioned i would use dummy chipsets (there are tons and tons on the internet due to RPGMaker and such) to give others an impression of the ability and seriousness of the programming team in hope of being convincing enough for graphic designers to join the project.
First you need to lay the groundwork before you think about how to get the perfect look for the game. Else you end up in a never ending planning process.

Sorry :/ I have to draw the line somewhere, no offence.

Level 29
I am not entirely sure why you want to collaborate on this. The gameplay mechanics aren't complex, and you seem to have good experience with both C++ and graphics.
Is it just for the sake of working with a team?

I wouldn't mind trying (though I hate C++), mainly because I never worked with a team.

Also Magtheridon96 may still be at school, but I must admit he is probably more mature than me (and he adores C++ for reasons beyond me).

Level 3
I am not entirely sure why you want to collaborate on this. The gameplay mechanics aren't complex, and you seem to have good experience with both C++ and graphics.
Is it just for the sake of working with a team?

I wouldn't mind trying (though I hate C++), mainly because I never worked with a team.

Also Magtheridon96 may still be at school, but I must admit he is probably more mature than me (and he adores C++ for reasons beyond me).

I'd like a collaboration because i did so much alone i would really enjoy doing something together with others right now and it is more motivating as well.

If you hate C++ (C++ > all) i dont think you are suited though :p

Level 7
I am 20+ and I am noob, so I can't help you much. (I am slowly working on 2D RPG myself) But your project looks nice, so I couldn't bypass and not wish the best luck. Hope you get your team and make us happy with something interesting. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.