• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Landscape Britian, 42 AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Landscape Britain changed from 42 AD to 12th century

Hi there.

I'm here to ask some questions so i can improve my terrain skill. I am not going for a cinematic screenshot i just want a nice good old sweet terrain. I really suck at making forests, rivers maybe even mountains and especially to make the surrounding feel natural. I've checked several of threads, tutorials, videos and more but i cant figure it out.

What would YOU do as an expert terrain maker on this map and what tiles would fit for this map? Mountains, how would you make them?
How should i start the layout?

Suggestions and all the help i can get will be much appreciated.

Update 1 : New picture.
Update 2 : New Picture, small castle

Attachments

• .....jpg
    .....jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Castle.jpg
    Castle.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 409
  • Small castle.jpg
    Small castle.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Level 18
It looks exactly like England O.O nice job.

eh, but if you want to go for a feel natural look, just continue as you are doing with hills (not cliffs) and instead of using just terrain tiles, try and get some nice grass models, and just litter the ground with them.

Placing of trees is also important, since it looks like your doing a overhead POV, your gonna wanna keep your trees sparse, and large, but not so large that you cant see what your playing.

also, fog is gonna be the most important part here. make a dense grey fog, it'll add some gloominess if that's the way u want England to look

Level 7
Placing of trees is also important, since it looks like your doing a overhead POV, your gonna wanna keep your trees sparse, and large, but not so large that you cant see what your playing.

also, fog is gonna be the most important part here. make a dense grey fog, it'll add some gloominess if that's the way u want England to look

Thanks, i am going for an "old" England with large forests and fog. Any idea about the tiles? I am going for ashenvale and lordaeron summer tiles atm but i have no idea if it works with England.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Level 14
Seems high enough to me, but I can be wrong here. Either ways I assume you have it anyways since it adds usefull extra features.
Why not extend limitations?

Level 14
I don't have it :(
I am quite new to some things, i have never used anything else except the editor.

You might want to take a look here then:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ials-278/advanced-terraining-tutorial-203428/

Create a UI folder inside your warcraft 3 installation folder and put the Miscdata.txt file from that tutorial in there. This enables you to create incredibly high slopes with the raise/lower tool.

If you look inside the Miscdata.txt with notepad or something alike, you'll see that there are many other limitations ready to be exceeded at your command. Simply change the values.

The Ultimate Terraining Map and JassNewGenPack are also a must have.
The Mighty Alpha Tile is simply awesome, but you don't nessecarely need it every time...
That all depends on your terrain.

i'd suggest making the mountains proper MANLY MOUNTAINS with giant sizes, though still kind of corresponding to the geography of Britain. And then snow tiles up top perhaps. it's a bit hard to see from this distance, but I assume that they're actually not all that tall in the map. Really big monsters would be good to see in this kind of scenario.
As for tiles, it's hard to say when you can't see that much. Firstly, use village rock instead of ashenvale rock, but apart from that, it's quite hard to see how BIG the map is - in large scale maps, a single tile can represent up to a tenth of a country/province but if this were a 480x480 then you'd have a lot more freedom to use small detail tiling. i'd try using ashen grass for grasslands, leaves + lumpy grass + dirty grass for forests and dirty grass + leaves for in betweens, rough dirt for any potential roads etc. just try to make it look natural really

Level 7
I am using 256x256, but if i was using 480x480 i could do lots of other stuff, but now i don't have the space to make Extreme mountains, cool rivers or other things.

I also changed the age from 42 AD to 12th Century and uploaded a new picture on the first post. (The Castle)

i'm liking the look of it a lot but please change the base tileset to ashenvale since firstly, ashenvale grass kicks ass, secondly, ashenvale dirt fits in a lot better than any other type with the grass tiles. then, as i said, change the rock to Village Rocks rather than ashenvale, it also looks better.
And finally, i'll refer you to my tutorial on tile overgoing here - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ergoes-small-guide-terrain-overgo-example.png
what i'd like you to at is the general tile distribution near the rock that is acting as a road in this case. check out the rest of the tutorial as well, link in my signature, for just a general guide on that stuff. in your case, the road would be the rock here and the rock that is acting as mountains in your map can just come straight off forests.
also - consider not using mushrooms but rather just flowers and maybe finding a decent shrubby/grass doodad. and while i'm not too big a fan of the high res doodads in this case, it should look better if you have exclusively ashenvale tileset + village rocks :- )

Level 7
Yeah i am looking for a decent grass doodad, haven't found it yet tho. The mushrooms are just the to fill up the forest but ill remove them. I am not using the ashenvale rocks im using a custom made for them moment but maybe the standard village rock works..
And is it possible to remove the standard grass tile from lordaeron summer to ashenvale? And should i really make my mountains to forests? I've got some pretty high mountains in the north.

Level 7
I decided to make two maps just to see if other models would make it as awesome as the first one and this is what i got..
I have no trees, or any doodads placed on vers 2. What do you say? And yes i will try to change the tiles.
If i stick with the first picture the map will be over 17 mb because of the models... If i stick to the second one i will have a lot more space, I've got like 1.2 mb atm.

Attachments

• Vers 1.jpg
    Vers 1.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Vers 2.jpg
    Vers 2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 278
Level 36
This is looking fairly interesting.

For the last two WIP's I'd say it is a matter of taste and/or efficiency.
If this is supposed to be an online map played over the battlenet, I'd consider sticking to the second attempt, whereas if this is supposed to be single player action I'd say the first one is great, though that does indeed require a change of tilework. And if I may come with some suggestions as to both tiles and grass, I'd want to suggest the tiles in "Demons Heaven" by Nan0, http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/demon-heaven-187763/

Those grass and dirt tiles are simply exceptionally great. As for grass, I would point you to the UTM's non-animated grass doodads, I think they go under "shrub" or "bush," or I would suggest the "ufergrass" from the B2M high ress map.

Keep on working, I'll stick an eye to this thread to watch the progress :)

Level 36
How can i get the tiles from Demon Heaven? I searched but i couldn't find it. And thanks for suggesting the UTM grass doodads.

(New pic on first post)

You go to the "Import Manager" and find all the doodads named something along the lines of "Terrain/tile/Lordaeron Grass." Then when importing you must rename them by the proper name of various tile paths, it doesn't really matter which ones you use, for you can mix around with any tiles you want.

You can compress the b²m textures by ALOT without a noticable loss in quality. It's just a little bit of extra work to do, but it's totally worth it.
As you seem to scale all your doodads very small anyway (which is reasonable in a risk like map), you can get all your doodads to look good with less than 3 mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.