• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ju-On: The Grudge 1 [HORROR PROJECT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thegrudges.jpg

Description!

The Grudge is a horror game involving 5 patients who are desperately trying to escape the Hospital where they are forced to encounter a terrifying angered spirit of a Japanese housewife and her deceased family members.

Features!

• New Stats
• Voice Acting
• Custom Music
• Custom highly modified items, visual effects

Gameplay!

• The Game depends on a stat/mechanism known as: ''Sanity''
• Each Patient has 100% sanity that is reduced by 1% every 5-8 seconds
• When you get Scared ( Either by encountering horrifying visages or hearing whispers you will lose greater sanity )
• At 90% Sanity you will gain ''Sanity LEVEL: Trauma'' which causes a small blurr/shake in your view
• At 75% Sanity you will gain ''Sanity LEVEL: Exhausted'' which causes you to walk slower
• At 50% Sanity you will gain ''Sanity LEVEL: Hysteria'' which causes you to lose Sanity more quicker.
• At 25% Sanity you will gain ''Sanity LEVEL: Madness'' which causes you to no longer benefit from ''Vomit''
• At 0% Sanity you will gain ''Sanity LEVEL: Insane'' which causes Kayako to move faster

• As you go through the hospital you will find some pills in operation rooms, if you take them they will restore your Sanity by 15%
• You can vomit every 1 minute at a Toilet to restore 25% Sanity

• You won't be able to detect Kayako unless she gets closer to you, when she does she'll let out a fearsome shriek that'll reduce your sanity, you'll also have 1-2 seconds to run if you don't want to be dead.
• The Winner is the last man standing/staying alive
• An alternate way to winning is by waiting until the 30 minutes timer passes while remaining alive and thus unlocking an achievement

Story!

Kayako Saeki, of the Japanese Saeki family was murdered by her husband when he realized that she was in love with his Son's American teacher, after being assured of that by reading her diary he broke her neck, murdered his child by drowning him in the bathtub and commited suicide, Kayako became a vengeful spirit ever since, more of a curse that affected anyone.

Progress!

Terrain: 100%
Triggers: 2%
Spells/Abilities: 54%
Heroes/Units: 100%

How can you help us?!

1-Need a reskinner (Important)
2-Need more ideas to advance gameplay/creativity
3-Need more spell ideas
4-Anything else you're willing to offer

NOTE: Assisting is much accepted, I will try give reputation and credits.

Screenshots!

thegrudge1m.jpg

thegrudge2.jpg

thegrudge4.jpg

thegrudge3c.jpg

scaled.php

Last edited:
Level 21
The sanity system sounds awesome, and it fits a multiplayer horror map perfectly. I'm looking forward to seeing it in action :wink:

I don't know about voice acting, though. It's great if you can find "professional" level voice actors for dialog, but anything less would ruin the horror atmosphere, unless it's just quick and nearly inaudible whispers or the shrieking you mentioned.

Level 9
How about adding a creepy I see you... Hahaha... ( pause, 1-2 seconds to run ) then * SCREAM ! * dialog when she is near you? That will add a HOLY MOTHER OF MOOSE SHE'S HERE AAAAH RUN! RUN! OH MY MOOSE! effect to the players.

And how about you choose what sickness you have ( well, that's depressing ) :

Mental Defection - Sanity drops slower.
Dengue - Vomits faster but lower sanity increase.
Overdosed Drugger - Gets more sanity in drugs
Migranes - A intense headache that prevents you from being too scared from Kayako.
Trauma - Adrenaline increases faster.
Coronary Disease - Runs slower, but able to regenerate Sanity if he stays put ( .1% per second )

Level 14
Sounds amazingly well. BUT the screenshots kill off some of the excitment. Nothing horrorish about them. I would strongly suggest detailing the enviroment much more and adding some dark touches. If you send me a sample of your map I think I can come up with what I envision as 'horrorish' atmosphere.(i do however have some maps to judge still in a contest so my result won't come swiftly) I do also STRONGLY suggest checking the Grudge Aura in the model section. It is one of the best utilized special effects at least for me.

Also on the voice acting. In very very rare occasions does voice acting make good to a map (mostly on voice acting competitions). Please do consider replacing that idea with some smart sounds you can find around the internet.

On the gameplay. Is Kayako player controlled or AI?

Vomiting every 1 minute.... restores 25% of Sanity. Simple calculation would say that you can just barricade the toilets and vomit for 30 minutes. (LOL) You should really rething about this puke business. Perhaps make it a one-way saver by restoring 70% Sanity but being able to vomit only once a game. (perhaps hidden items can give you an additional vomit [i can't believe how this sounds] )

Or loose the Vomit technique entirely. Surely there are better ways to restore a person's sanity rather than ''Vomiting every 1 minute in a toilet'' .

One little tweak more to offer you. Nothing removes more horrorish from a map than dozens of health bars overhead of the units. Set the selection circle to every unit including the ghost to -1 to make it a bit more entertaining.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.