• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JASS tutorial/unprotected maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello, the way I learned GUI is by opening maps and examining the triggers then trying to mimic them myself.

I want to try the same thing with JASS. Reading tutorials and following their instructions when starting JASS is so boring and seemingly-pointless that I just end up procrastinating instead of learning JASS.

Does anyone know of any or have any maps where I can see its JASS code?

Level 13
Most posted maps here usually say whether they're open source or not. Also you can look at resources in the spell/JASS section as the standard for proper coding there is rather strict. That'd be a place to start.

However, maybe a better place would be converting your GUI triggers to Custom Text and removing BJ functions and optimizing them, that will help you by already knowing what the trigger does and now you just want to make it do it better.

I'd recommend this tutorial for this approach Converting GUI into Efficient JASS

Once you've got a pretty good grasp on converting triggers, you should just jump right into it. If you don't know the function name or arguments you just jump back to the GUI convert that line and look at it. You also are going to want to be using JNGP if you aren't already.

Last edited:
Level 12
I used this tutorial and started converting my triggers:
Converting GUI into Efficient JASS

I found it to be a good starting point for my JASS adventures with good explanations. It's a great starting point if you learned GUI thoroughly and then want to move into JASS.

Other useful tools:
JASS Manual: API Browser - Blizzard.j - The code for blizzard.j (all BJ functions). Sometimes they don't convert one-to-one, so you can use this to see what they are actually doing.
common.j - WarCraft3 - The common.j function list. This is all the base functions you have access to in JASS.

Level 12
I used this tutorial and started converting my triggers:
Converting GUI into Efficient JASS
I generally can't understand tutorials as they always use JASS jargon words and as soon as I see one of them my brain just turns off the entire sentence becomes meaningless.
First all functions need to be started with the function keyword. This declares the start of a function.
Were I have "Name" that is were you declare what the function is called.
Then you put the takes keyword this is to declare the start of the arguments that function will take.
Were I have "Arguments" you need to replace that with the arguments.
Arguments are What the function takes.
First all #@!£4% need to be started with the #@!£4% keyword. This *7^% the start of a #@!£4%.
Were I have "Name" that is were you *7^% what the #@!£4% is called.
Then you put the takes keyword this is to *7^% the start of the &*K<> that #@!£4% will я)Х[2@.
Were I have "Arguments" you need to replace that with the &*K<>.
&*K<> are What the #@!£4% я)Х[2@.

Level 3
Those are just standard programming terms. They are apparent in really all programming languages to an extent. They are simply words with a meaning just like any other word. Learning them isn't a matter of just learning JASS it's a combination of expanding your vocabulary and being willing to learn common, standard programming practices.

Level 12
Those are just standard programming terms. They are apparent in really all programming languages to an extent. They are simply words with a meaning just like any other word. Learning them isn't a matter of just learning JASS it's a combination of expanding your vocabulary and being willing to learn common, standard programming practices.
I don't know anything about programming.
I just want to make a better map and tutorials that are designed to be un-readable by the un-initiated don't really get me anywhere.

Level 8
You might want to try installing JassCraft. It's a small Jass editor program that has all the natives and functions from the Blizzard.j and common.j files, along with highlighting and a syntax checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.