• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Item Abilities with Cooldowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi. I'm working on a very simple project, but items is the one area where I want to deviate and make things a bit more interesting (so far). I've attempted to create an item that has the Clarity Potion ability, but on a permanent item with a cooldown. I looked around and found a lot of "how to"s that just aren't working; first of all, I've experimented quite a bit, and found out that only Item Abilities with Cooldowns will have a cooldown--and even then, the cooldown is totally immutable. By changing the Cooldown Group field for an item with the Staff of Teleport ability, I've found that regardless of what I put in that field, the item will have the same cooldown for Staff of Teleport--whether it's an item ability or a hero ability, or if it's the same ability with an altered cooldown.

So, with my experiments, what I've found is that any item that is disposable--like a Clarity Potion--with no cooldown, will have no cooldown no matter what. I've followed as much advice as I can--I've moved the active ability to the top of the ability list. I changed the item to an activatable item. I changed the Cooldown Group field so an item ability with a cooldown. Nada.

Obviously I must be missing something, because this has worked for other people. I don't know what I'm missing though--comparing my custom item to Staff of Teleport, all of the fields seem to be correctly adjusted. None of the tips I've read have worked for me, though, and I'm wondering what gives?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You don't need to mess with the Cooldown Group field. The item's cooldown/mana cost will be based on the cooldown/mana cost of the ability that it uses.

Simply set Perishable = False and make sure the ability the item uses has a cooldown and you're all set.

Also, Cooldown Group is used for when you want items to share a cooldown. Meaning, all items in Cooldown Group X will go on cooldown when you use ANY item from that group.

Attachments

• Clarity Potion.w3m
    16 KB · Views: 23
  • item.png
    item.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 53
  • item ability.png
    item ability.png
    118 KB · Views: 58
Level 2
You don't need to mess with the Cooldown Group field. The item's cooldown/mana cost will be based on the cooldown/mana cost of the ability that it uses.

Simply set Perishable = False and make sure the ability the item uses has a cooldown and you're all set.

Also, Cooldown Group is used for when you want items to share a cooldown. Meaning, all items in Cooldown Group X will go on cooldown when you use ANY item from that group.

OMG, DEEEERRPPPP. Okay, thanks. I got it all working now.

Level 2
New question: Is there an easy way to get a computer to play the game WITHOUT building a Hero? I set the Food Cost on the Altars to 300, and the computer doesn't know what to do with itself any longer.

Edit: I turned all the Heroes into Dummy Units, to interesting results...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.