• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is JASS (Just Another Scripting Syntax) Really necessary if making a campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I know it's a silly question.
I'm just a beginner, that I don't know alot about these things.

Can somebody set up an answer for my question?

I was just wondering, like.... I'm using Warcraft 3 : World Editor for almost a few days from now
(You might want to know that this Hive Account is my friend"s", not mine. He intended to give it to me though, so I have no other choice but to accept it). In the past recent weeks of my gaming experience with Warcraft 3 (I liked the storyline. I finished all the campaigns in RoC and FT.) For weeks (I have a lot of failures and DEFEAT though. Just don't mind it).

After finishing the campaigns, that's how I ended up here. I asked my friend what the usage of this site is and he said that this site's pretty useful if you want to search for amazing custom campaigns. Also, an existing forum can be located here too. All about Warcraft 3 and Starcraft (Wait.... Is it true?)

He ended up saying "You can take my account instead of making a new one. It'll just be a waste of time."
I nodded.

And, that's how this thread is made.
Anyways, back to the topic ;

Is JASS (Just Another Scripting Syntax) Necessary for making a custom campaign? I mean. I would love to make a short campaign about my own storyline XDDDDD Also, I'll be studying about the Lore of Warcraft (And such...) Starting from now.

Thanks in advance those who plans to answer ; I gladly appreciate your response.

Edit : i do know that VJASS (or whatever it is) is a scripting language used by War3 and Star3.
But I don't know what is the function or usage of it.

Last edited:

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
For basic triggering GUI is fine. The standard campaigns were done mostly in GUI.

It's different for the AI though. You can use the AI editor, but JASS AI is much better for creating campaign AIs.

JASS AI allows you to make the AI react to what happens on your map, whereas the AI from the AI editor will always follow a certain build order and certain attack priorities. These cannot be changed during the game.
In the Frozen Throne Undead campaign in the last mission, you have to control 4 obelisks. Using JASS AI, the creators were able to tell the AI where to attack and to which obelisk Illidan's army will go. I don't think something similar will be possible with the AI editor.

If you are fine with a basic and static AI, you do not need JASS. If all the AI needs to do is building units and attack you, the AI editor is good enough.
If you want the AI to react to certain things that happen on your map (the player completing an optional quest for exmaple) or the AI has its own quests (like capturing obelisks) you will need JASS AI.

Level 12
Just want to make a few clarifications (on which I may as well be wrong on about half of)

• JASS does not stand for Just Another Scripting Syntax - somebody, long time ago, said that as how to read the abbreviation and everyone went with it (or almost)
  • Warcraft III uses JASS
  • Starcraft II used to use JASS(not anymore), now uses Galaxy Script
  • vJASS is a customized JASS, it is kind of made by users (other people like you), it just extends on what you can do with JASS. I am not 100% (not even 10) sure but it stands for "very JASS" ?

As, Jampion said, you would be fine with GUI (Graphic User Interface) as in practice it can do everything you can do with JASS (with a few custom scripts now and then, more often than not), in the end the, it is only a colorful way of showing the script without bothering too much with what it is doing.

What you would use any sort of script (being GUI, JASS, vJASS, Wurst or whatever) would be to make your map (campaign) do things that cannot be done in a melee map.
Examples:
  • Have a cinematic sequence
  • Make that custom spell with 457 badjillion lightning effects that does damage based on how many trees are in the map currently
  • Customized systems for Inventory, Items, Equipment, Character Stats, Mount-able Animals, Dynamic Weather, Arrow keys movement system, Jump, Dash, Knockback, the sky is the limit! (no it is not)
  • Knowing the basic attack of a unit (Not since 1.29, kinda...)
Basically, make your map yours. The sky is not the limit, your imagination is (although there are some things that you cannot change at all...)

Hope this was helpful, you've learned something and if not had a little giggle at some point.

Regards
-Ned

Level 3
For basic triggering GUI is fine. The standard campaigns were done mostly in GUI.

It's different for the AI though. You can use the AI editor, but JASS AI is much better for creating campaign AIs.

JASS AI allows you to make the AI react to what happens on your map, whereas the AI from the AI editor will always follow a certain build order and certain attack priorities. These cannot be changed during the game.
In the Frozen Throne Undead campaign in the last mission, you have to control 4 obelisks. Using JASS AI, the creators were able to tell the AI where to attack and to which obelisk Illidan's army will go. I don't think something similar will be possible with the AI editor.

If you are fine with a basic and static AI, you do not need JASS. If all the AI needs to do is building units and attack you, the AI editor is good enough.
If you want the AI to react to certain things that happen on your map (the player completing an optional quest for exmaple) or the AI has its own quests (like capturing obelisks) you will need JASS AI.

Just want to make a few clarifications (on which I may as well be wrong on about half of)

• JASS does not stand for Just Another Scripting Syntax - somebody, long time ago, said that as how to read the abbreviation and everyone went with it (or almost)
  • Warcraft III uses JASS
  • Starcraft II used to use JASS(not anymore), now uses Galaxy Script
  • vJASS is a customized JASS, it is kind of made by users (other people like you), it just extends on what you can do with JASS. I am not 100% (not even 10) sure but it stands for "very JASS" ?

As, Jampion said, you would be fine with GUI (Graphic User Interface) as in practice it can do everything you can do with JASS (with a few custom scripts now and then, more often than not), in the end the, it is only a colorful way of showing the script without bothering too much with what it is doing.

What you would use any sort of script (being GUI, JASS, vJASS, Wurst or whatever) would be to make your map (campaign) do things that cannot be done in a melee map.
Examples:
  • Have a cinematic sequence
  • Make that custom spell with 457 badjillion lightning effects that does damage based on how many trees are in the map currently
  • Customized systems for Inventory, Items, Equipment, Character Stats, Mount-able Animals, Dynamic Weather, Arrow keys movement system, Jump, Dash, Knockback, the sky is the limit! (no it is not)
  • Knowing the basic attack of a unit (Not since 1.29, kinda...)
Basically, make your map yours. The sky is not the limit, your imagination is (although there are some things that you cannot change at all...)

Hope this was helpful, you've learned something and if not had a little giggle at some point.

Regards
-Ned

Thank you. Your answers energized me for making a campaign or stuffs :p
Well, by the way. I think I get it now. ;) Arigatou

Status
Not open for further replies.