• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7400 (3M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Ok, I'm about to get this processor, but I read that it doesn't have any integrated graphics. And I plan on overclocking it to 3.0 just because I like round numbers. What do you think of it? It's LGA775.

I'm asking because the PC lacks dedicated graphics card and I don't wanna purchase something that I can't use without graphics card.

So the question is: Will I be able to use the OnBoard chip for graphics (the one in motherboard) with this processor?
And the second question is, is there a difference between Integrated Graphics delivered by processor and that OnBoard graphics chip? Or they are the same freaking thing.

I want that clarified by someone who knows as detailed as possible please. :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
And the second question is, is there a difference between Integrated Graphics delivered by processor and that OnBoard graphics chip? Or they are the same freaking thing.
Motherboard integrated graphics usually are weak. Some times they can literally be video output hardware with all graphic calculations being done on the CPU with software. Things like OpenGL and Direct3D will often not work well with a lot of bugs or not even work at all (no accelerator present).

If the motherboard has an integrated GPU (eg from AMD) I recommend reading up about its capabilities and driver compatibility. It might perform pretty well even. It might also be a buggy pile of trash which cannot even run WC3.

CPU integrated graphics are a major step up. They are in fact to generalized to consider different from discrete GPUs anymore. For example the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 both operate using CPU integrated GPUs (CPU and GPU use AMD technology) and they deliver pretty fantastic performance like one expects from a discrete GPU.

However you then get Intel integrated graphics. Although Intel has been improving immensely over the years they are still no NVidia or AMD. Modern Intel integrated GPUs will run WC3 easily and even SC2 (on lowish). They do however perform quite bad compared with discrete GPUs and also Intel has a tendency to produce very buggy drivers (which fail to properly implement OpenGL and DirectX standards).

It is worth noting that integrated graphics on the CPU are physically separate from the CPU. The only thing they share in common is the I/O bus (including its access to the RAM memory) and various levels of cache. This means that running with an integrated GPU will not affect your CPU performance outside of memory bandwidth. This is possible thanks to modern technology nodes allowing transistors to be so small that it is becoming hard to fill the available area without running into other limitations (heat, power etc).

Level 37
I have E7200 and my friend found an E8500 from a trashbin this week. They are not worth much nowadays since the technology is about 6 years old. Don't expect too much, they are okay but far from the best.

You should be easily able to overclock it to 3.0, mine sits at 3.4 GHz with a bit more voltage given to it than the default.

There indeed is no integrated graphics chip in that processor. You can use the one on the motherboard with no problems.

Last edited:
Level 18
I have E7200 and my friend found an E8500 from a trashbin this week. They are not worth much nowadays since the technology is about 6 years old. Don't expect too much, they are okay but far from the best.

You should be easily able to overclock it to 3.0, mine sits at 3.4 GHz with a bit more voltage given to it than the default.

There indeed is no integrated graphics chip in that processor. You can use the one on the motherboard with no problems.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks all. :)
BTW, could I OC it to something like that with stock cooler?

Level 21
overclocking does generate more heat but it should be possible with the cooler that came with the pc. i had a pentium 3 300 megahertz that was overclocked to 450 megahertz. you should know that overclocking causes increased wear so you should wait until you need the extra power.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
BTW, could I OC it to something like that with stock cooler?
Generally not recommended. They do not over engineer things so although there are great tolerances it is possible that with dust or even just warm climate you start to run into overheating problems.

you should know that overclocking causes increased wear so you should wait until you need the extra power.
There is nothing to wear in integrated circuits. Most failures are usually the result of dope diffusion from the semi-conductors so transistors fail. Basically the doping materials (placed inside the glass) are not permanently locked in place and over time they can move.

Overclocking with increased voltage level can cause them to diffuse more rapidly as it applies more force on the charges. If you were to over voltage an integrated circuit transistor sufficiently it will permanently break down almost instantly as the doping material will have diffused. This is how SSD memory (flash RAM) works in that it over voltages to cause permanent doping diffusion. It can undo the diffusion of the doping to some extent (when it clears) but this is imperfect which is why flash RAM only allows a limited number of write cycles.

Overclocking without raising the voltage will just produce more heat but it is raising the voltage that will shorten the component life. How much it shortens varies from component to component since minor imperfections might break faster.

It is worth noting that the power consumption increases linearly with clock. As sich raising from 3.0 GHz to 3.3 will be an increase in power consumption by 10%. It is important to know that power consumption is based on the square of the voltage. As such a small increase in operating voltage can significantly increase the power consumption. Practically all power consumed by the CPU is dissipated as heat inside the processor.

Do those extra 600MHz increase performacne significantly or it's barely detectable?
Single and multi threaded (up to core number) computationally intensive applications will see probably a 15-20% performance increase. Memory bandwidth intensive applications will see probably a 0-5% performance increase (as memory bandwidth is not increased at all). For games I would say anywhere from 5 to 15% improvement in CPU performance would be expectable since they can be memory bandwidth intensive. For CAD, modelling or video processing 15-20% would almost be a certainty.

Do not listen to people who say memory bandwidth does not matter. That was the case back in 1995 and even early 2000 but now it matters a load as memory bandwidth has not scaled as well as processing power.

Level 37
Upping the voltage and overclocking will not reduce component life by any significant amount. If you are not doing any extreme, hardcore overclocking that is. I've had this one overclocked and overvolted for six years. I've owned several different CPUs during the last almost 20 years and I've always immediately overclocked them. All of them worked fine until I replaced them with better components.

The E7xxx line was known for the very good overclocking capability at low cost. Those have unlocked multipliers and freely adjustable FSB.

The default frequency of E7400 is 2,8 GHz and you can do 3,0-3,2 GHz with stock voltage or with a very small voltage increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.