• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Improving Graphics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hia everyone. I'm just curious to know if there is something I can do to improve performance on my computer, and possibly get to medium graphic settings on SC2, maybe some shaders if I'm lucky?

Here are my specs.

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7600
CPU TYPE:
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor
CPU SPEED (GHZ):
SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce 9200
VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
nvd3dum.dll
DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
1920x1080
HARD DISK SIZE (GB):
HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):

I bought the bloody thing not even a year ago from Costco. I havn't had any problems with it, but as soon as I try to run anything over Low (with 3D portraits) on SC2, I get mega-hardcore-from-hell-lag. Yet my friend with a similar computer can run the game on Ultra.

I can run World of Warcraft like a piece of cake.
I even downloaded the new Cataclysm Alpha and managed to run all of it's settings on almost Ultra (even the new detailed reflecting water). But not sc2 =[

Any suggestions? Is it my driver? Is there someplace I can update it? Or is it a graphics card issue?

Edit: +Rep to all who help. <3

Level 2
I strongly suggest you upgrade your graphics, even if it can run it. Other than that...... Do you have to keep this disc in the computer while you play SC2? If so maybe your DVD-Drive is not fast nuff.

I strongly suggest you upgrade your graphics, even if it can run it. Other than that...... Do you have to keep this disc in the computer while you play SC2? If so maybe your DVD-Drive is not fast nuff.

No I do not.

As for the graphics card .. eh .. how much do they cost for one that could run this kinda stuff?

Edit: NVIDIA GeForce 9200

It says the recommended is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800.. :\

Level 20
GeForce cards are labeled so that the first digit to the left is the series, and the rest sort of scale it among the cards in its current series. And they release a new series each year or so.

So a GeForce 9200 is one of the worst cards in the GeForce 9 series. A GeForce 8800 is one of the best cards in the GeForce 8 series.

That said, you can probably pick up a GeForce 9800gt for like nothing today. Or a 9800gtx+. It's a pretty old card, but it can definitely run SC2 on medium. If you want a newer card, you can probably fish out a GTX 460 for around 200$, but it's a really powerful card and you might not need so much power, or you may not even have enough power to support it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A 8800 GT can run the game on high if additional cooling is installed (my brothers overheats). A 9800 card can probably ultra everything if your CPU is good enough.

Firstly make sure your drivers are up to date, that would be a good start. Secondly reducing the resolution could probably allow you to up 1 level (1080p is prety tough to render on higher detail settings).

Level 8
Well I run everything on high without lag with these specs :

Intel Duo-core 3.00GHz / 2.99 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 9800 GT
1400 x 900 - 60 Hz Resolution

Usually Hard drive disk space doesn't matter unless you don't have a lot of RAM, in which case your CPU will start using the Hard Drive as your Memory.

Your Resolution does seem a little high. (You probably have a massive / Very good monitor) If you lower that a bit you might be able to run everything on high just like me :p.

Otherwise I do suggest you get yourself a new video card. 9800 GT works jsut fine, but I'm pretty sure you can find a better one for just about the same price.

Level 3
In my case is it the ATI mobility radeon HD 3870 512MB (recommended requirements) or the 2.26 GHz the reason to start lagging during battles on high grahpics and textures?

Most likely your cpu (I'm assuming it isn't dual core sense you didn't mention it) as starcraft 2 (and blizzard games in general) rely much more heavily on the cpu than on the gpu.

Level 10
Intel Dual Core: 3.06 GHz
4gb RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650

Runs on ultra just fine, only issue is heating cuz it is a lappy, but a cooling pad fixed that.

If you wanna game, you need a solid machine dude.

Nothing else really can be done.

Tis like asking to enter into high end car racing, and your car is shitty.
Just doesn't make sense, :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Mobility Radeon is weaker. I have Mobility Radeon 5870 on my laptop. Its as powerful as the 5770. As to Rispetto I suggest you get a 5770 actually, because it runs DX 11. Its future proof, doesnt cost that much, and is all around good. I know for a fact the 5770 will run SC2 on ultra even on 2560x1600........ Are you in the US?

Level 4
Man! I got an Nvidia Gforce 8500 and I can run the game on medium settings with reflections on. Awesome graphics man!

Status
Not open for further replies.