• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

If you could remove a negative emotion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Actually, there is one emotion that has no use and I reckon it would have no impact if removed. It's an emotion we feel almost every day, especially if you're a student, called "boredom". Without it, we would perform better at school, we'd be more keen to learn and we'd surely support much much better those dull, dreary situations you're oftenly thrown into e.g a visit to a relative, waiting in a queue for your turn etc...

@Keiji, well, if you consider that there are no enemies, your logic would make sense. And no, I don't hate anyone that makes me angry at first sight, but you cannot deny that you usually unwittingly get a small sense of hatred towards those who make you angry, be it people you know or not.
Hatred and anger are linked to each other. In order to maintain stability between them, you need to have both.

@Chaosy, I'm still baffled by your fallacious logic...
Opposite genders are attracted by love (btw no love = no lust because you're not physically attracted) so if you remove this feeling, they would never procreate.

Level 35
Going through a few, making considerations - with the note that I consider just about any in moderation and control to be more positive than negative:

Anxiety: The true purpose of this has kinda outlived itself in a moderns society, but it is also what can make you careful and do a better job.

Anger:
Given the amazing things someone is capable of when angered, well I feel we need it to control the society we have built, while yes it is also a huge negative.

Hatred: Its an outlet for emotions, just like sadness.

Sadness: We need it, desperately.

Fear: Not having it would be bad - given what it prevents us from doing or makes us do in order to avoid it. It is hugely negative when it takes control, but we would see a very chaotic society without it.

Pride: Again, it makes us strive to be better

Lust: It has very specific purpose.. humanity kinda needs this and I wouldn't really call it negative.

Boredom: It is not really an emotion, and more of a state. It is the result of the rest and as such can make us take action. It is also fairly easy to prevent/change :smile:

Well, as fear kinda overlaps with anxiety and the latter in many cases work opposite of its intention, by preventing work/action, I would remove anxiety.

Level 8
Keiji, damn, I completely agree with you. You literally read my mind dude. And Shadow, I honestly I am not convinced that boredom is useless.

Personally, I think removing an emotion is useless. Maybe only for a limited time, but other than that its more risk than you should take. But if I had to, then it would be hate. In the right spot it could be a very good thing, although most of the time hate tends to make us screw up.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
@Chaosy, I'm still baffled by your fallacious logic...
Opposite genders are attracted by love (btw no love = no lust because you're not physically attracted) so if you remove this feeling, they would never procreate.
You're saying it's impossible to have sex without being in love?
Let me introduce you to rape and forced marriage, not common anymore but it proves that it's highly possible. Or hell, even just being mega-super drunk. Unwanted babies are born left and right.
That aside, people would get children for the survival of our species and not for love. Righteousness, justice, loyalty and similar things remain even when love is gone, thus we would not go extinct without love.
As I told Directive, removing love would not replace it with hate, it would make us more robot-ish and act more logically. And surviving is highly logical.

I don't know why you're surprised about us being in disagreement, I can't remember an exception to this.
It might as well be one of the laws of physics.

Level 21
The only thing that surprises me is your way of thinking. That's the first time I see such kind of logic being used.
So apparently you won't get convinced about the part of opposite genders, and I am seriously worried about where it might wind up, so let's face it this way:

When you're born, you're a great responsiblity for your parents, and also a nuisance.
You cry at night and wake them up. They need to take care of your hygiene. They need to nourish you. They need to support all your snivellings. That can be a real torture, so if your parents didn't love you, hell, they wouldn't do all that for sure! They would throw you out of the house (yes, no love, that's the result). Apply that to the entire humanity and... ta dah, humanity ceases.

As I told Directive, removing love would not replace it with hate, it would make us more robot-ish and act more logically. And surviving is highly logical.

And what would motivate you to do so? The best actions have probably been done for the sake of beloved ones, but without such a sentiment for them, why should you? You would be clouded by even tiny sparks of hatred because there would be nothing to compensate it. In addition, humans don't always follow logic. Let's take the school for example. The logic says that if I study hard and pass my exams, I'll get a good job with high salary and lead a happy life. Do all students follow this? No, of course. Another example? Ok, here we go. We all know that eating too many fats and sugars might damage us in the end. Logic says not to eat them in excessive amounts. However, many of us do that regardless and end up getting fat and getting health diseases.
Btw, love is a positive emotion as we concluded, so I don't know why we're bothering talking about this as it doesn't have to do with the original thread's purpose.

Boredom: It is not really an emotion, and more of a state. It is the result of the rest and as such can make us take action. It is also fairly easy to prevent/change

It is an emotion, just the right opposite of excitement. It is something you feel within you when you are not amused. Sometimes you can't avoid that (e.g you are bored of doing your HW but you have to because they are due the next day)

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Then there'd be orphanages, where people take care of them because they are paid to do so.
It might have a negative impact but we would not go extinct.

Though I don't think it'd go that far as the parents could be repayed by the kid doing quite a lot of chores to earn their keep, without love that's quite likely I'd imagine. In a way, it's an investment.
Kinda like how it is in most African countries, they get 8 kids because they need them to take care of them when they get old.

That's the first time I see such kind of logic being used.
Makes me think of Jack Sparrow.
"You're without a doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of"
"But you have heard of me!"

Obviously on the humorous side, don't take the comparison seriously.

Level 35
It is an emotion, just the right opposite of excitement. It is something you feel within you when you are not amused.

I still find it a state, resulting from the other emotions. While I agree yes, one would say they feel bored. But the feeling of boredom is not really anything, its the absence of feelings, while excitement is a culmination of feelings.

Level 19
lust is also a very distracting emotion, and its not connected to love which means it's basically just an evil extra emotion. it kinda makes me want to say, 'that's it I'm cutting off my balls!' but then you risk a shorter life span and hormone deficient cancers and problems

luckily you don't have to slice your balls off because there is a plant that suppresses lust

it's called, the chasty berry, but the leaves are actually used. nuns and priests used to use it before the church shunned it because sin is supposed to be a choice and they were effectively going against God by removing it.

anyway... I'm just putting it out there

I'm a herbalist master :)

Level 19
I suppose so

if your lusting over someone who loves you and wants to do what you lustfully desire... well that's ok

but if you lust for that hot cheerleader chick who will never accept you until one day you kidnap her and rape her to death

well then that's bad... and most probably more likely to happen with an emotion like lust.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Imagine that you could live the rest of your life without a negative emotion (fear, hatred, anger, jealousy etc...). Which one would you remove and why?
Depends very much on the meaning of a "negative emotion". Davros and the Cybermen seemed to have an entirely different idea. They decided to remove all emotions that most people would call "positive" as they believed them detrimental.

Level 22
Bros, don't confuse lust with sexual desire, lust is excessive sexual desire. I love sexual desire. Lusty Argonian Maid.

Level 19
why don't all these people just masturbate Honestly

there is zero different between masturbation and the feeling of having sex. the only real difference is in hiring a sex worker you don't meets to oscillate your hand

meaning wasting money on sex workers is just laziness

see lust and sloth working together to make evil

Status
Not open for further replies.