• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to use this site properly when I have a map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I have seen many maps that are uploaded already, but they also have a map development thread. Is the map development thread supposed to exist at the same time? Is it optional?

What am I allowed to put in the map development thread? Does it need to have a playable map, or can it be anything, as long as it is about a map that is being developed (potentially including brainstorming with nothing created)?

What are the rules for a map to be submitted? I think the only ones that are a problem for me, if they are considered problems, are:
1) Regular icons for passives (some passives are using a normal ability icon so they look clickable).
2) Reused icons (some hero icons match an item icon - though not in very many spots - there is also a trio of items that use the same icon which looks bad ATM).

Would the above cause my map to not be accepted in the maps section? Is such a map okay in the map development area? (Note: I do plan on looking into fixing it later, but just haven't got around to it yet).

Do uploaded maps have to be protected?

That's it for now, but I may come back with some more questions :p Thanks in advance.

Level 11
In the Map Development you post a map you're still unsure about, or post the idea, or post the demo map. Basically what you called unfinished work and heavily relying on feedback and suggestions.

In the map section you post your complete map with complete and explaining description, screenshots, features and author's notes. That's the link you will want to give out your friends and other players. A finished project.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
You don't have to have a map dev thread to submit maps. Its optional. But you might get feedback there for a map you develop before its kinda playable for the public.

For a map to be accepted in maps section, it must be good enough for players to play from start to end. It must be quite finished in a way so it doesn't give the feeling the map lacks something.

For a melee map a good and balanced terrain is most important.
For custom maps a lot more work than terraining in addition is required. You must have a plan and idea and build your map around it, not just making something random without a guideline.

As for Naval Battle map, i had a plan to make a cannonball projectile system which made it a snowball game in battleships style using battleship terrain environment to mention a example. That required 2-4 weeks of intense work and testing before i made beta of it. That map was playable and got approved eventually (You need a lot of patience sometimes). The map was playable and I then introduced new things eventually afterwards which I spent much more time into.

Uploaded maps don't have to be protected, but you must mention it if you do in description.

Level 12
Thanks guys! +rep

My map is basically complete (in the sense that it is playable from start to finish, and all the main parts of the map are in there), but I am always polishing it, fixing things, balancing things, and even adding to it. Is it a better idea to wait until I am done polishing before uploading or should I just get it out there for feedback?

Maybe it is better in map development at such a state? I don't really want to leave a bad first impression.

Is there any problem with the bad icon stuff (duplicates and passive "button" icons)? I assume I would at least get docked a few points in terms of rating.

Level 11
@SAUS

If you feel that the map is a bit incomplete or a bit too lacking for hive, you should polish it more and improve it until you feel that it's, in fact, hive material.

On the other hand, if you already feel proud of your map and you just want to constantly improve it whilst being in hive, then go ahead, post your map and wait for feedback. At least that's what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.