• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to use sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you really play sounds in warcraft?
It always seem to bug for me, if i do it it GUI with "play sound" then "destroy sound", the sound only plays the first time the trigger is fired, if even then.

I then tried to make a jass function to handle it, it looked like this:
JASS:
function PlaySoundLocal takes player p, string path returns nothing
local sound snd = CreateSound(path, false, false, false, 10, 10, null)
call StartSoundForPlayerBJ(p, snd)
call KillSoundWhenDone(snd)
set snd = null
endfunction

And fired with:
JASS:
call PlaySoundLocal(GetOwningPlayer(GetBuyingUnit()), "Sound\\Interface\\ClanInvitation.wav")

But again, it doesn't play.
So how do you play sounds correctly?

EDIT: The error was in the rest of my trigger, the sound now plays well in the jass function.
Though i would like to know, does it leak?
Since i create the sound for all players, plays it for one, then deletes it once it's done playing for that player?

Last edited:
Level 13
Well, I used to destroy sounds in GUI too, but then when I started learning JASS I noticed that there's only one global sound which can be started and stopped...weird. I don't know what is that destroy action in GUI for. Don't take my word :p

Apparently Destroy Sound fixes the leak of the sound. To be honest, i recently found out sounds do leak (in the thread "Things that leak"). Why this action could be useful? Instead of doing this: "Custom script: call StopSound(bj_nightAmbientSound, true, true)" (which disables the night sound, the "wolf" one, when time gets 18.00), you could instead go to the Sound Editor, select the sound and use "Sound - Destroy DuskWolf <gen>", for full GUI language ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.