• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to Customise Lightning Effects

Level 19
If you use GUI, you will have to modify the TriggerData.txt. In jass you can just input the id you have added to the slk into the AddLightning/AddLightningEx function.

Yes, but I searched the whole TriggerData like 3 times now and can't seem to find the place for this...
Custom script could do the same effect, right?, using the same create lightning, but in JASS. The problem is I suck at JASS.

Level 26

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This was a very simple & helpful tutorial that succinctly described the editing method with lots of great pictures & a good example (and at just the right time; I was just looking for this!).

However, despite all this I have failed to get it to work. I have included the .slk I was working off of (created a bunch of different custom ones to test several textures out; none of the ones I tested (SEWR, STR0, STR4) worked. (I would attach the map but it's my Contest map so that's kinda un-kosher : P).

Basically, upon attacking the game would freeze & give some kind of error like "the code at 00x0000CC could not be 'read'." I did not have 0 duration nor (AFAIK) were any of my chosen textures not dimensioned in multiples of 2.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• LightningData.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 64

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You are a wizard. How did that work? How did I mess it up in the first place? And how did you find out? Criminy, thanks.

Now that it works, I begin the wonderful process of "change-test-repeat" to find a set of values & a texture that actually look good. : )

Level 26
It depends on the editor you use obviously. The slk format is not a Blizzard-invention and features a couple of options like cell formating but for the data representation Wc3 reads, few is needed. I am not too versed with the general format myself but thought it could at least stand a max column/row declaration like all the other wc3 slks have.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
It depends on the editor you use obviously. The slk format is not a Blizzard-invention and features a couple of options like cell formating but for the data representation Wc3 reads, few is needed. I am not too versed with the general format myself but thought it could at least stand a max column/row declaration like all the other wc3 slks have.
Hm. Well you guessed right, either way; it works.

... Sorta. Attached is a set of screenshots I made in-game showing how they all appear stark white; I can't imagine it has to do with the color settings (RGB

One final round of testing determined the tiniest of errors can set these babies off... I had included the "\" next to "Textures" in the "Dir" line of my Lightning.slk, and lo & behold, it couldn't read that. Apparently that's assumed. Having fixed that, everything works great! Thanks again for your help.

By the way, to actually contribute to this thread, I leave with you a comment that, if possible describes the fields in better detail than Softmints did (or at least, mostly, and with bullets): Importing Custom Lightning