• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how to attack multiple targets in one attack, like Arthas Knight holding a sword (e.g. in X Hero Siege)?

Level 2
I would like to change the Combat Attack properties to do this. Not sure what to change.

In World Editor, Knight wielding Frostmourne as 0 area of effect, weapon type Normal, Maximum number of targeted 1, nothing looks like it can attack multiple targets at once.

However, in the game, Arthas attacks multiple targets with one swing of the blade. Is this something special to Arthas?

Level 6
X Hero Siege is a custom map, they might have coded that attack. I don't remember that boss but, you are options should be,
1) Use cleave(Won't work for enemies behind him though)
2) Code it and you can hit all enemies in X range around the unit when the unit attacks. ( I think that's probably what u want, you'll have to code it though)

Level 20
Look at siege units like mortar team to see how splash works

1711370984395.png

AoE (Full damage) = the radius around the target where 100% of the attack damage is applied, then in this case, 40% of the damage is dealt for units in a 100 radius (but not in the full 25 radius), and 10% to units even further

You also need to make the attack type as Missile (splash) or Artillery (but this will add Attack ground in the unit's command card), otherwise splash doesn't work for units with an attack type Instant (i.e. melee units)

Level 2
1) Use cleave(Won't work for enemies behind him though)
Cleave is an ability, right? It will occupy one slot. Is there a way to cheat around this?

By the way, Arthas is a hero in X Hero Siege that you can choose.

Level 2
Look at siege units like mortar team to see how splash works

View attachment 467407

AoE (Full damage) = the radius around the target where 100% of the attack damage is applied, then in this case, 40% of the damage is dealt for units in a 100 radius (but not in the full 25 radius), and 10% to units even further

You also need to make the attack type as Missile (splash) or Artillery (but this will add Attack ground in the unit's command card), otherwise splash doesn't work for units with an attack type Instant (i.e. melee units)
Thanks. Yeah I am aware of this. But I also learned from another post that changing the attack types can have other unexpected effects such as from aura or item and missing chances might change.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Cleave is an ability, right? It will occupy one slot. Is there a way to cheat around this?

By the way, Arthas is a hero in X Hero Siege that you can choose.
There is no Ability limit. A unit can have an "infinite" number of abilities. You just need to hold Shift when opening a field in the Object Editor and you can bypass any of the annoying limits. This even allows you to use negative values when defining stats, a useful trick for making custom abilities. Note that you may need to enable this in File/Preferences if it's not on by default.

Also, what Chaosium said about the Art - Button Positions. But you should intentionally crash Mac users as a way of punishing the weak ;) (jokes aside I don't think that bug exists anymore).

Last edited:
Level 2
Setting the icon's position to 0, -11 hides it from the command card IIRC, although I have vague memories of it causing crashes for Mac users I believe.

Otherwise there's the hidden spellbook trick that is safe for all
Thank you! Could you please give me a pointer to "hidden spellbook trick"? I did a quick search and found several that are maybe related but not sure which is the one.

Level 20
The idea is to place the spell(s) you want to hide inside a spellbook, give it to a unit, and use a trigger to disable the spellbook ability for the owning player. This effectively hides the spellbook, but all of its contents are still applied to the unit and no icon is visible

Level 11
Setting the icon's position to 0, -11 hides it from the command card IIRC, although I have vague memories of it causing crashes for Mac users I believe.

Otherwise there's the hidden spellbook trick that is safe for all

Wait. Is this doable? I think I have tried the negative X+Y values before but failed to succed. Also, I've heard about the spellbook thing some time ago, but never actually took my time to read about it.

This trick was for old versions of Warcraft 3, you really shouldn't need it anymore. See my last post.

Mmm... so would you say that learning about the hidding spell in spellbook is now not worth it / obsolete?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Wait. Is this doable? I think I have tried the negative X+Y values before but failed to succed. Also, I've heard about the spellbook thing some time ago, but never actually took my time to read about it.

Mmm... so would you say that learning about the hidding spell in spellbook is now not worth it / obsolete?
I suppose it could still be useful but it seems like a janky solution. Why use a weird "trick" when there's straightforward and intended solutions.