• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you transition from normal terrain to snow or sand???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'm thinking about making a small playable terrain island with the north being all cold and snow, the middle being nice and temperate climate, and the south being hot and sandy. Not sure how to transition the terrain and environment to make it look nice though.

That's the thing... I don't know what terrain to use to make it look good in all 3 climates.
If you don't intent to use blizzard cliffs (which you shouldn't anyway), then I recommend taking a tileset with two cliff tiles that look good on their own (when not being used as cliffs), as you can not replace cliff tiles later.

If you want to have all climates in your map, I recommend going with the northrend or lordaeron winter tileset. Both have acceptable cliff tiles that look good when used standalone.

Then fill it up with the tiles you need for the other climates. You can check different tutorials to find out the most popular tiles.

I recommend taking at least 3 different earth tiles:
One for the winter terrain (lordaeron winter or frozen throne), one for the 'green' area (I recommend cityscape, all others are too colorful), and one for the desert (barrens).

Then add more utility tiles: grass tiles (ashenvale grassy dirt is very popular), possibly one or more tiles from barrens, if you need, some from cityscape/village (you need cobblestones for villages), also, you need some stone tiles - as you want both desert and winter in your map, its gonna be difficult here. You should almost have all tile slots used now.

If you really need so many different tiles in your map, I really recommend you to learn how to use Multitiles. Check for example the multitile in the skins section and edit it the way you like it.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

To be honest it all depends on what exactly you are making. Before actually starting an area, you need to know what it's purpose will be, what you want it too look like and then go through the tiles. And in case you haven't already got it, use JassNewGen. :)

Level 13
To be honest it all depends on what exactly you are making. Before actually starting an area, you need to know what it's purpose will be, what you want it too look like and then go through the tiles. And in case you haven't already got it, use JassNewGen. :)

This
Also, Zwiecibelchen are the number 1 rank of terrainer ;) ;)
He made unique, and different one ;) ;)
So neat....

Status
Not open for further replies.