• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How can I make Critical Strike invisible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
It is a passive ability and just sits there, occupying the space for other abilities. How can I make it so that Critical Strike will give the bonus, but be invisible?

Level 7
You can make a new spellbook and put the passive abilities you want in it.
Then make your unit have the spellbook ability.
Then at the beginning of the map, you run a trigger that disables the spellbook ability for all players with "player - disable ability for player".
Your unit now has all the passive abilities in the spellbook, but no ability icon.

Level 4
You can make a new spellbook and put the passive abilities you want in it.
Then make your unit have the spellbook ability.
Then at the beginning of the map, you run a trigger that disables the spellbook ability for all players with "player - disable ability for player".
Your unit now has all the passive abilities in the spellbook, but no ability icon.

This is for if the unit already has the ability, right? What if the unit has to learn Critical Strike (which has 5 levels in my map). Will this prevent it in anyway?

Level 7
You want a learnable ability without an icon?

...no idea sorry, never tried out something like that. ^^

Level 4
If you add a dummy ability using channel as a base, and trigger the critical strike, it should work.

Just make the channel ability not visible (it's under the options in the object editor), and then make it so when your unit attacks, it has a chance to do double damage, and create the floating text.

The chance would be a multiplier based upon the level of your channel ability, for example:

IF THEN ELSE:
IF:
(random number between 0.0 and 1.0) is less than or equal to (real(level of critical strike) for unit) x .1

THEN:
Have (attacking unit) damage (attacked unit) for *damage done*
Create floating combat text, etc...

ELSE:

*Note that the damage done has to be attained in a tricky way, like by using the damage detection system found here:http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-and-scripts-269/gui-damage-taken-141020/

That's what comes to me off the top of my head.

Level 4
I don't think you even want the spell book ability taking up space, correct? I wasn't sure if the channel ability would still be able to be learned, i haven't experimented with the not visible option enough.

Another option to not need a spell book would be to do what i said above, but simply keep track of the ability level via an integer variable, and "purchase" the ability at a shop (like by attaining a rune or something to be the event that would increase the integer value). You could then use that integer in place of the ability level integer.

There are a lot of options :p

Level 15
I don't think you even want the spell book ability taking up space, correct? I wasn't sure if the channel ability would still be able to be learned, i haven't experimented with the not visible option enough.

Another option to not need a spell book would be to do what i said above, but simply keep track of the ability level via an integer variable, and "purchase" the ability at a shop (like by attaining a rune or something to be the event that would increase the integer value). You could then use that integer in place of the ability level integer.

True.Could you tell us more jedchrizt?

Level 4

Exactly, I want critical strike to be able to be leveled up but I want it to be completely invisible. (This allows me to let the unit have more abilities).

Anyone got a test mapped trigger for this?

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
Disable the spellbook from triggers, but trust me it won't work lol.

You have to know how much the damage is taken by the attacked unit, then you have to put a random number between 100 is less than or equal to 30 ( let's say ) ...

Then .. damage target = taken damage... that's called double damage..

But it would be a big Complex ! if you want to do it :D

Level 4
Disable the spellbook from triggers, but trust me it won't work lol.

You have to know how much the damage is taken by the attacked unit, then you have to put a random number between 100 is less than or equal to 30 ( let's say ) ...

Then .. damage target = taken damage... that's called double damage..

But it would be a big Complex ! if you want to do it :D

So the whole idea is not possible?

Level 4
Lies! :p

I have some triggers you can look at in my map (linked below) that will enable this to happen. Again, just sell a rune from a shop to change an integer for the player (probably in an array).

They are in the category "damage detection." It is a bit large, but if you have some understanding of triggers, you should be able to figure out to apply it for your own needs.

If you need extra help with it let me know.

Level 11
You can trigger it! Every time a unit with crit attacks, check if it procs, and deal damage with triggers.

Level 13
tell me what kind of unit do you want to have critical

if it is not a hero and cannot have his damage increased it would be easy

you can use action unit - damage target when unit is attacked,the problem is that you must know the damage value of attacking unit

but WE is to stupid to know that -.-
also there is no generic unit event-unit takes damage

Level 37
Maybe this will help you.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=xl3g4m

The only thing "wrong" with it is that the original Critical Strike still shows up when you click the button to level up abilities, and the level of the original Crit Strike is always one, meaning that you won't know the level of your real Critical Strike. When you level up Critical Strike in the ability list, you also level up the real Critical Strike.

I gave the ability 5 levels, level 5 has 100 % crit chance for 10x damage so it's easy to test that it works. Press esc to level up the hero.

If I can come up with a solution to the issue, I'll let you know.

Level 5
Put a Critical Strike in Spell Book then disable spell book. (hiding spell book icon)
For leveling it up (for hero) add a dummy skill (eg. Attribute Bonus) to Hero Ability List then use trigger to add a Spell Book at level 1 and increases level of Critical Strike (not spell book) once learned a dummy skill at level 2+.

Level 5
Read the topic, thought easy, read the posts, thought wtf. :D

It's really easy, i got the same solution SamnNainocard has. I made a little test map for you, have fun.
Remember that you might need to remove the ability during the game. Added an example for this in the map.

Attachments

• Hidden passive ability.w3x
    20.1 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.