• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Looks like it's a camera propped up along with invisible dummy units to click, and then when that dummy unit is clicked, it plays the animation for that position, and then updates the main display with pictures.

I can see how this could be done. It would take a bit of work.

Level 12
Ok, that guy made camera look straight from above. He used floating images (or some doodads) to create selection panel. Below each of pictures he put single dummy unit, so when you click on it, it runs Unit - is selected event with picking actions below.

Pretty much. You can see the units being selected underneath. Then he has the animation being played and displayed text changed.

What I'm wondering is how he got the character models to face the camera and animate. I'm guessing he just used the model as a doodad and tilted it on an elevated slope. I wish I had time to spare to attempt recreating the effect.

Also, if you look at the high definition screenshots from the forum link, you can see that the borders are not 100% solid together. They are multiple doodads. It looks like a variation of the human UI border.

It's a very nice selection system. It's a shame that it's for a Naruto map that will never get off the ground. I can't wait to create a similar system, as I just started diving into that area of editing recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.