• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero name linked to a unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I have a problem where a hero's name is linked to a building. This is not the hero's proper name/s. Whenever I name the hero name to something else, the building's name automatically changes with it as well. Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Level 7
Before reinstalling, you should probably check if you are indeed fully patched first...

Are these custom units? Or are you just changing the default values/stats/etc. of units?

Level 7
I'm not reinstalling over this one minor bug (which I know is just being unhelpful as well, but whatever), it's just a bug that I don't know how to fix. It is a custom hero that changes the IN-GAME name of another unit. The unit is still named as it should be in editor. I am fully patched, I play daily.

Level 7
That is weird... Other than redoing the hero from scratch I have no idea what you could do. I've never heard of this problem before.

Level 3
I don't know how to fix this, you can check your raw data values and see if somehow the values ended up with the same name.

Possible fix is just remaking the hero or building so its a new unit and won't experience that problem. Sorry, that's the simplest solution I have to offer :\

Level 3
He is based off of Dagren the Orcslayer and had his proper name removed and replaced. The proper name for that hero is the only one there.

Yeah, seeing as though it's a hero, I would go with what I said above and just remake the building that is taking the name.

Level 7
ah so that question answered as well... what building has the problem?
It is a custom barn in the map Azeroth Wars: Legacy Reborn.
Yeah, seeing as though it's a hero, I would go with what I said above and just remake the building that is taking the name.
I guess I will have to, I talked to my friend Narks about this and he said he's seen this problem before, but did not have the time to discuss this with him and what may be the problem with it. I just wanted to learn how to fix it if the problem came up again later.

Fixing a bug with a few clicks or some typing is preferable to having replace pre-placed buildings around the map as you can imagine.

Level 2
I've never seen or heard of this bug but it sounds like the game wants to use the same internal string for 2 different things. My solution would be to make a new building with the same stats as your old one (or a new hero, whichever you find easier) do NOT delete the old one first and do NOT copy the old custom one. Start from scratch. Then save and see if you have the same problem with this new one.

If all that works then to try and remove this error I would delete the old unit and immediatly make a new unit (doesn't matter what). Don't give it ANY custom data, save your map, and test to see if it retains the wrong name. If not the map should be ok, if it does just never use the unit and hopefully this problem doesn't pop up again.

On a side side note keep multiple save versions of your map in case stupid bugs arise you can't get rid of. I'd have beat tides of blood as the first AOS type map in TFT if I had followed that advice, and while popular it just never gained the popularity over the inferior map that came first. I'm not biased I swear. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.