• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys, I want to learn how to program and haven't found any decent tutorials for foundation knowledge , I would be grateful if anyone could suggest anything,

Also what's a reasonably easy programming code that's suitable for people starting from scratch, like me? I probably sound like a retard but I want to
Learn things which don't seem easy to find if possible to find at all.

Level 3
There's more than 7 billion people on the planet you can't just expect everyone to instantaneously know 70% of what the answer is to a question they ask , it defeats
The purpose of asking and why would I ask a question if I knew e answer unless it's rhetorical like this one? Thanks anyway

Level 15
Noone said you have to know if it was answered - you have two options.
1) Think logically. Even a huge amount of illogical questions are answered out there, but in case of a topic involving this huge amount of people (there are quite an amount of programmers right now) it is usually already answered. In your case, by the nature of your question you could have expected hundreds of pages of community talks, guides and such.
Or
2) Google your question before posting it. Always. Makes life of people easier if they don't have to reinvent the wheel. You can do this even if your question isn't even something trivial - you may very well find a solution to it. This is one of the first things you should learn when you learn programming. Also, most specific programming questions, including the weirdest ones can be found (and usually already answered) on stackoverflow.com - if you are looking a general all-around tutorial this is not your page, but if you already started out and met an obstacle, stackoverflow usually has your answer. If not, you can just ask your questions.

peq

peq

Level 6
Before you search for a tutorial you should think of what you want to do. Then you can choose a programming language. And then you can find tutorials for that language ;)

Her are some examples:
Want to build WC3-Maps? -> learn Wurst! ;)
Want to build small webpages? -> learn PHP or Python or Ruby.
... statistics? -> learn R.
... Games -> C# with unity.
... Android Apps -> Java
... iOs Apps -> Objective-C

So, do you have anything you want to build?

Level 23
difficulty is relative term

When I see your Haskell code in the Haskell thread Im happy C++ is easier than that IN MY OPINION.

I learned Jass as my first language, and then went for C in school, and then C++ in my free time while in school we were learning bare minimum and Im happy I know this language.

But I will rather not make recommandations to not start war or anything like that

People are very prone when someone says their language of choice is shit, including me :D

edit: the link is not very objective as well, saying:
Code written in this language is very readable
is plain shit, I can write beautiful code, I can also write shit code, it all depends on the person not language

peq

peq

Level 6
is plain shit, I can write beautiful code, I can also write shit code, it all depends on the person not language

It depends on the language and the programmer (and some other factors). If all languages were equally good at readability, you would not see such a huge difference in the votes on the page I linked.

Level 23
its because different people have different opinions

You can write code in C++ that will look like brainfuck, you can also write code in Python that will look like brainfuck, its all dependant on who writes it and in what style

I will agree however, that some languages may increase or decrease the readability slightly because of the syntax of the language

Level 15
I don't really like Python, it's usability can't compare to C# if I want to use a high level language. Don't compare Python to C++ though, while Python is a high-level programming language, C++ is a hybrid one, but most of the hard-to-read code comes from the low-level components imho.

Level 23
well I just made that as example, dont take that serious, but I never worked with netither of those(C# nor Python)

Im just trying to point out that unless you write in something like Whitespace or Brainfuck, 85% of reason the code looks shit is because of the person that writes it

Its the same with Jass, even vJass can look nice, but if people just dont use the Tab it will look like utter shit

Back to topic: While I dont suggest anything, you should find a language and research around how the syntax looks like, and if you like it, learn it, most tutorials should teach you the basics no matter what language it is.
I think there are quite good tutorials even here on Hive regarding Jass but with general things like variables as well

Languages you can have a look at:

- Jass obviously, potentionally vJass as well, or Zinc or WurstScript, but I prefer a bit of Jass before going into those
Some more useful languages:
- C
- C++
- Java
- Python
- C#
- objective C
For webs:
- JavaScript
- PHP
- some SQL like MySql
- CSS
- HTML

Level 14
If you enjoy mapping and playing wc3 maps you should just learn a wc3 scripting language.
- They are all quite easy
- Mapping is fun and you will be able to write cool stuff really soon -> keeps you motivated
- The people from THW here can help you with that

The basics of wurst/vJass are very similar to the basics of the most imperative programming languages, so if you have some experience in wurst/vJass it will be much easier to learn Java, C++, C#, Python, ...

Do what you enjoy, not what you think "is the most useful". Programming is about experience and doing it over and over requires a lot of motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.