• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help using music files for my maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Alright, I'd like to think of myself as a basic map maker. I typically make melee maps, and make my own heros, abilities, and other units to add to the Warcraft III pot of units.

I have everything I need for my maps except one thing; I do not know how to have custom music in with my maps. I know it's been done ,as I have a few maps downloaded that have it in there.

I'm trying to make it where the music I am trying to put in will replace the default music tracks when you start up the maps. (i.e. replace Human1 with whatever music I choose)

I've imported a few music files I want to use, and have tinkered around with the Sound Triggers, but I cannot figure out what will make it work.

I resorted to replacing the internal music with what I had in mind, and although it worked, the music never looped or restarted, and when I went to change it back, I couldn't figure out how to. Thankfully, I had a seperate copy of the map from which to reload it from before I replaced the internal music files.

So, if anyone can help me in figuring out how to get custom music as the background music theme, I would be much abliged.

Level 2
-reincarnates the topic-

I'm also interested in this, but the solution above has an issue. Doing that, you end up with the custom music playing like a sound effect, and if the user has music turned on in the game options, you end up with both music files playing at the same time over eachother.

You also lose all control over volume when in-game. I've been unable to play several maps that I think I would have enjoyed a lot for one reason. Someone thought it was cool to replace the music with the arthas rocksong through triggers, which mixed with the regular game music and made everything sound really funky. On top of that, the arthas rocksong was running at 100% of the song's default volume, and the song file itself has some really insane levels of volume.

What we want is the ability to replace the default music completely. I'd even love to know if there'd be a way to have a new music file run with the default race-specific music in a cycling playlist sort of thing. it has to run through the regular game music so the volume setting takes effect properly.

Now, The only idea I have for a temp solution is to import the mp3 using the same path used in the standard mpq files for the music items, and maybe the new mp3 would be automatically included in the lsit of songs for the specified race (if there are already multiple songs, which I'm not sure of due to the possibility of loopers and/or large mp3 files with multiple songs in them) however, if not then I'd possibly have to use the sound editor to simply replace the default music, or in a worst case I'd have to rename the file itself in the import manager to hopefully replace the default music in memory when the map components are loaded for the game.

If all that fails, then I'd need a trigger that's capable of activating a music file using the game's own music player, wait until that song is over, then read a variable that tells it what songfile ID just ended (a simple integer variable set when the song is started, with If/then/else conditionals for the different numbers to return the correct filenames) and play the file that matches.

Anything else just isn't worth anything to me because the last thing I'd want is custom music that plays exactly the same for everyone with no volume control and no way to disable it. Even if there was some sort of "move-villager-along-hallway = volume" and a "villager-on-circle = play" / "not-on-circle = noplay" system, it would still be too messy because then you'd be taking up valuable map space and you'd need either a separate spot for each player, or just separate units in those areas to activate the correct rects. But can you imagine trying to fine tune your volume, and how many rects that would take? and the reiggers, I can't even comprehend the number of triggers you'd need to cover all the possible situations and combinations. On top of that, in order to make it sensitive enough to replace the original volume, you'd have to either make the volume hallways really really long, or make the rects really really thin which creates more problems when the unit being used to control the volume is larger than the width of one rect, and ends up activating the on-enter for several rects at the same time, and maybe manages to not trip one of them completely.

If anyone is still with me... I see you, person sleeping in the back... and would like to take a crack at these issues, do post your findings. I have this thread set to notify me of replies.

Level 2
and that was one of my short ones.

I've seen an action for removing the list, but not for modifying or adding to it, or making new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.