• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help Library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Well, I didn't know where to post this one, so I decided to do so here. I want to make a help application for Warcraft III that will contain:
-Basic Help
-Tutorials
-Trigger Help
-Problem Fixes
-Map Samples
-Website links including almost all warcraft III related websites like THW or Wc3c
-Extras:
--Color codes
--Modeling tools, like the ones here in THW
--Skinning Help
--FAQ including everything

Suggestions and feedback appreciated. If complete, could it be considered a hosted project or so?
Help Needed
I need some help with Visual Basic Express 2008 as well as some links to threads that I can't find. All the people that help will be credited (quite many but it's ok) as well as the people that have made the original tutorials.
Jass help could be added as well, if someone could help me learn the basics of Jass as well as adding this help to the application.

Pros:
I believe this manual-like program will be really useful for new users, that will be able to learn very fast everything, without internet connections to ask in THW or Wc3c! Usful for advanced users to check out some things if they don't remember something or to find out things they havenever noticed (e.g. reading a thread for something very easy to answer and see the reply of another guy before you, answering the question and saying something you didn't know)!!!

Cons:
The only problem will be that many people will not use the forums, causing many sites to rot and the rep of our forums to be a lot less, as people will not get +rep if they help others, because everything will be in the manual.

I will start soon and I want to have completed my project till May-June (it's really hard to get all the info in one place and categorize it)!!! Hope you find it useful!

Level 10
Well, I need help in Visual Basic not in HTML (I know some things in HTML as well), but I could use HTML for some things!

P.S. If any moderator reads this thread, please move it to the right section of the forum and tell me if it could become a hosted project!

Level 9
Sounds good..
The only con i see, Hawk07, is that everything you want to do is already done here except for the best part about it, that which i have recommended before be done here. It's where i got most of my rep points from but it's beyond my comprehension why they, or any WC3 modding site, hasn't done it yet or doesn't do it.

All that needs to be done here is for Ralle to appoint a mod, most likely a newly appointed mod for this specific task, to oversee and organize a section in the forum where people post a link and a description to all tutorials and how-to's that have already ever been covered anywhere and everywhere.

So one thread will act as the base for a new thread which relates to the tutorial/how-to/info. Someone posts a link and description (or no description) in this base thread, the mod verifies it, creates a new topic and puts the link as the original post, and can either move the finder's post to the new one or simply give credit to the finder by name on top of the rep he or she will receive for finding and contributing the link.
People can post more links and the mod will be responsible for verifying them and adding them to the first post for easier navigation.

Everything else you mentioned is already here.. Don't divide, unite.

Level 27
Making a site costs money, which I can't afford giving. The only thing I can do is making a sort of application to help newbies and add extra things to the editor's basic help!

dude this is a dutch thingy which can provide you of a free domain name which i can sign up within a few seconds. You will then have www.(Domainname).nl.ae and its totally free. Oh yeah, combined with freewebs this rocks.

Level 10
Ok, I shall cpnsider this option. I want to make it like an encyclopedia with links to every key-word and all the help and tutorials I can gather from other sites. I will then make a file that will include everything for people that have no good internet connections and are unable to stay online all day long to download and will include most of the info the site will have. But I will need help finding every tutorial! I need one for everything and many more things like sample maps and so. I would appreciate help. The website will be created soon. I will need a server or something to upload some files for free, if there's any. Any ideas? I don't need much space only 300MB and even less. The_Wand_Mirror do you know if this site you told me gives space for uploads?
If we don't find a server to upload, I'll have to upload the sample maps and all needed items here in THW, which I don't know if the moderators will allow me do!

Status
Not open for further replies.