• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hammer Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Okay boys and girls... I am pretty new to the Dota (2) world and I am not experienced neither with the editor nor the game itself really. However as many people told me I should use my talent and skills with the Hammer Editor instead of the poor Warcraft III editor I decided to give it a try.

And what's my opinion of it?

Oh boy so many things to learn.

I tried to watch some tutorials on YouTube and Valve's sites but there's not really much information available, the best place so far has been some YouTube videos and Reddit but it's not really much. And this is why I am here on Hive once again.

I'd like to know if you guys know any sites or sources where I can find good tutorials and learn things in the Editor. Currently I am focusing on learning the terraining basics (I don't use the Tile editor, opinions of this?) so far I haven't advanced so much but I've only used it for a day.

So my major question now is:
I saw in some video (hi Invalidnick & Curse of River's End) that this guy used some "planes" (made by is it "box tool" or "cube tool" and then painted on them with terrain editor. How do I do this?

Currently I manage to make somewhat similar things if I first create a terrain using the tile editor and then clip a part of it out (collapse) and then I merge them into one object but there's problem. There is like a million faces and vertices in one tile, how do I merge things correctly. Thanks in advance, opinions and feedback and help is very welcome.

-Remixer

Level 1
So my major question now is:
I saw in some video (hi Invalidnick & Curse of River's End) that this guy used some "planes" (made by is it "box tool" or "cube tool" and then painted on them with terrain editor. How do I do this?

Currently I manage to make somewhat similar things if I first create a terrain using the tile editor and then clip a part of it out (collapse) and then I merge them into one object but there's problem. There is like a million faces and vertices in one tile, how do I merge things correctly. Thanks in advance, opinions and feedback and help is very welcome.

1. When you create new geometry you can choose your type of primitive. For the ground i suggest using a plane as its easier.

Next is to pick a material. If you want to paint different types of textures you need to pick a blend material which has 4 different textures in it (grass, gravel, stone etc.)

Now comes subdividing the plane. Pick face selection and click the face, scroll down a little bit and click Increase Subdivision. The more subdivisions, the more detailed you can paint the different textures

2. The second question kinda ties in to the last part about subdivisions. Since painting different textures is vertex painting, you need them else you could only paint each corner of the face

Im not sure what you mean about merging though

Status
Not open for further replies.