• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Goblin Exploration 3.56

The project is now being continued, I have taken over the development, and will not stop working until I no longer can. I have many ideas for this map, and plan to use a large majority of them.

Thanks to you fans, we've now gotten over 16,000 hits and over 4,000 downloads. THANK YOU!

Status update. The map has been taken over by myself, Midnighters. I will continue to work on this map until I leave for basic training next year. I am currently planning on redoing the terrain, adding new heroes, and a few new systems in 3.6. Good luck in your Kalimdorian adventures, Goblins!

v3.6 PROGRESS:
Minimap Image
Building item return fix
New hero
New systems
New Commands
Unit balancing

This is Goblin Exploration Squad, version 3.56. It was originally created by rulerofiron99, then turned over to Hero_Lief, but he gave me permission to take it over.

The goal of the game can be many things; it usually involves killing enemy heroes or surviving the wilderness as you constantly explore. As of 3.35, there is even a new Conquest mode which lets you do quests. Unfortunately, though it's running, it isn't complete yet, so it's short. Expect updates to it sometime!

For once, F9 isn't useless. Even pros use it. It contains building recipes, credits, the COMPLETE change log, item recipes, and a starting guide, so check it out!

Version 3.56 is live!

New major changes:
Tinker Claws --> Electric Claws
Alchemists and Brutes can now use electric claws.
Two new units added - Factory and Sky Labs.

New commands:
None.

Hero updates:
Some balancing.

Other updates:
Loading screen.

Bug fixes:
Sleeping bag recipe fixed.

In order to submit bugs, please post them as a comment if they're simple things, but if there's a bug that's hard to repeat, be sure to get a replay of you doing it, and then send the replay to [email protected].

According to current rules and guidelines, I must inform you that due to mappers stealing, editing, and then uploading modifications of this map that THIS MAP IS PROTECTED.

Keywords:
Goblin, Exploration, Squad, Survival, Fun, Alpha_12, Hero_Lief, Dracolon, Treadhead, Midnighters, Doom, Team, rulerofiron99
Contents

Goblin Exploration 3.56 (Map)

Reviews
ap0calypse: Approved
Level 5
Since some of us have this thread subscribed and do not believe in needless fluff, I will skip any further comments regarding my displeasure over recieving so many e-mails on something I really have no care for (the new doom team member). (Further means any in addition to the one I just used.)

On to why I don't think this is spam, I have encountered an issue where trying to build huts next to cliffs (on top) has caused the wood to vanish, so it seems that the bug fix didn't work.

Level 12
3.6, and yes, it will be.

I hope to get 3.6 released before I go to Spain on February 2nd... So I'm gunna work hard.

Level 7
Well... That's the only problem I have with this map so far, so get it going! :D
Although... I do have another problem. The builders hero sucks at fighting... At exchange for 1 inventory slot? Maybe make some molotovs or something like that in general, so the builders can be used to fight as well?

Level 12
No, builders don't, and that's a problem we face and a problem we're trying to balance out. They have smallness so they dodge more, but it sucks and I need something to boost the Builders up a bit. I just don't know what.

Level 1
Which building bug? Having it not build when you're too close to a ledge?

If so, I JUST figured out a way when typing this for the game to detect if the building was built, and if it wasn't, then you get your items back. And it was blatantly obvious.
Events:
A unit finishes casting a spell
Conditions:
(spell being cast) equal to Build
Actions:
Run <buildingcount>
Do item removal and building spawn [haha I will not tell you how I build]
Run <buildingcount2>
If <buildingcount2> is greater than <buildingcount>
Then spawn [items] at udg_tempPoint3
Else do nothing

EDIT!
Hey guys, we've got a new member joining the team soon. First person to guess the username of said person gets to join our official testers for 3.6 and beyond!

Is it Rulerofiron99?

Level 12
It's the one thing that makes it balanced.
Oh, also, you can dissemble ANY building, even enemy buildings. That way, even if you can't kill an enemy you can certainly weaken them.

Level 5
If it hits the enemy, it needs to give 100% back.
Also, you need to consider the consequences of deconstructing an active deep mine or other producer. The difficulty in getting the thing back working might be quite a problem.

It might be nice to have a "garbage can" or some other building of that nature, that can eliminate excess material, especially if excess material can prevent the reintegration of the buildings.

And this would be devastating to towers, so perhaps a very close range and long casting time or an item that grants immunity when in a building?

Level 12
Structural reinforced buildings cannot be dissembled.
Moving a Deep Mine? That's your problem.
It always gives 100% back anyways.

Level 7
Hmm, as if I couldn't have thought of that answer myself -_-

Anyways, I've got some suggestions!
- The exploring isn't rewarding enough, maybe make some unique bosses also drop unique items? (flesh golem could drop some kewl permanent flesh minion item?)
- 12 players is usually way too messy... Maybe make a mode where you're scattered over all the continents?
- The start can be tedious and slow, maybe put in a mode that everyone gets a wooden hut-spawn item, war mill-spawn item and a forge-spawn item?
- The screws, bolts, springs and gears and what other things there are feel really messy. I think you should just exchange them for 2 item types instead of 4...
- Another item could be the resource-killer, an item that gives you huge bonus dmg against resources (wood and stones), it's annoying when you're exploring that all those trees and rocks get in the way, and that you have to hit them a couple of times to get them gone. I know this can be solved by weapons, but not all classes have them...
- The warrior class doesn't have any active ability, making him boring to play... I think you should add more abilities in general to every class.
- The pyromaniac's fire stun is imba, it deals huge dmg and stuns... I think a damage over time spell would be better, as fire isn't supposed to deal massive dmg when you touch it for a tiny while, right?

Level 15
A. Decent
B. Already doing, hell, my 3.55 replacement already has it
C. No
D. We would have to have 2 factorys then, too much building conflicts
E. Certain classes are better for this than others, it is for balance
F. Warrior is meant to be the middle class, decent inventory, hp, and damage. And do you have a suggestion of what that ability should be?
G. We already know

Level 7
Mmkay... Some other suggestions:
- Make the build/salvage/pave unit abilities instead of hero ones, they are very important abilities, so making them choosable, especially the build one, just seems odd...
- Maybe make it so that a campfire can be used to create hot coal as well? It seems to me that if you put wood in fire you get hot coal as well... Would also reduce the time to build a decent base (which is the most repetitive overall...).
- Suggestion for ability warrior: Encumbering Slash: Active: Reduces the move and attack speed of the target.
- Improve the descriptions of the abilities. I want to know how much damage everything does, how much chance for critical strike, etc.
- Make sure ALL heroes have at least 1 active combat ability. For the grenadier it could be bombard (aka rocket barrage of tinker), builders could have some temporary tower, etc.
- Make mythril, gold and silver more rare. After a short while you've found enough of everything to do what you want, and after that you don't need them. I would like to see these minerals get more rare, so exploring is much more important in competitive battles.
- Make it so that if you type -neutral to ally (not share vision) everyone, everyone doesn't neutral you as well... Can make for some really cheep get-in-base tactics, because you just say -neutral, so their towers don't attack you anymore, you walk inside their base, type -war, and go kill everything...
- Don't make new heroes (I see you're planning on doing that in your progress-log), but improve the current ones. Give them more abilities (use spellbook if you run out of UI slots). The current heroes are meh and their gameplay doesn't differ a lot from each other. It's better to have less, but more original, than more of the same.

Level 2
It's realy nice map ;)

But it have some bugs:
-- sometimes corpse picking not working, two times while playing i can't pick any corpse for ten minutes, but later it start working
-- items spawn to close to bulding and player cant pick them
-- one time when i put wrong materials for building they all diseapear

Thing that will be great if you add them:
-- armor and weapons, when player click on it in equipment it will be equiped and don't use free space in equipment, to take off some command meayby (-armor off)
-- armor and weapons for all classes (for example club )

Overall: 5-/5:thumbs_up:

Level 5
- Make the build/salvage/pave unit abilities instead of hero ones, they are very important abilities, so making them choosable, especially the build one, just seems odd...
If I may take this...
Some units, like the Alchemist, have the ability to make materials. The choice to concentrate more on being able to do that instead of being able to pave and harvest is a tactical decision. Am I working with a teammate? If so, is he taking it or am I?

This becomes critical when you are planning to leave the starting island early, in which case leveling up isn't as easy. If these were free, there would be no bitter choices about that. This would only benefit solo play, and not teamwork using everyone to their best skills.

- Make sure ALL heroes have at least 1 active combat ability. For the grenadier it could be bombard (aka rocket barrage of tinker), builders could have some temporary tower, etc.
Balance. See above. A player playing Tinker can be one heck of a powerful warrior, due to his army of Shredders. An active combat ability isn't needed. Likewise, a Alchemist can already create any material out of common stone (except ironwood). Adding a combat ability will just make this unit level up quicker. The teamwork aspects and weak combat ability make up for strength in other areas, as you would know if you've ever run into me once I have a full base up and going. Fighting armies of war zeppelins loaded with Goblin Shredders isn't fun, but a deep mine becomes a perfect producer for a Alchemist, and such things become easy when I play one and reach level 9ish.

- Make mythril, gold and silver more rare. After a short while you've found enough of everything to do what you want, and after that you don't need them. I would like to see these minerals get more rare, so exploring is much more important in competitive battles.
These materials are already very rare. If you ever play a map with 3 or so tribes on the starting island, you'll find it almost impossible to get gold or silver when you need it, and forget about mythril, I believe there is only 8 pieces of mythril on the starting island, and most of that in the east side guarded by level 8 Gnolls.

- Don't make new heroes (I see you're planning on doing that in your progress-log), but improve the current ones. Give them more abilities (use spellbook if you run out of UI slots). The current heroes are meh and their gameplay doesn't differ a lot from each other. It's better to have less, but more original, than more of the same.
/Signed.
And more abilities for each hero allows sub-classing. Technically you could do just three heros, Intellectual, Physical, and Constructor, and have the individual skills put into those three. A tinker would just be a constructor who took several levels of tinker ability.
I'm not saying you SHOULD do that, but I do think that a little focus on the current heros would be better than the addition of more.

As an Independent thought here, I think that this game is in desperate need of a building that works as a "Trash Bin". I suspect the 400 lumber sitting around a regenerating tree isn't a positive thing, let alone the hundreds of ashenvale grass that gather around a flower garden in the hunt for barren stuff.

Level 12
Oh hell I've gotta read alot. Blarg, your "3.55 replacement" is based off of 3.35 and has no affiliation to 3.55, 3.56 or the Doom Team, and therefor should not be advertised on a thread about the real game.

Hmm, as if I couldn't have thought of that answer myself -_-

Anyways, I've got some suggestions!
- The exploring isn't rewarding enough, maybe make some unique bosses also drop unique items? (flesh golem could drop some kewl permanent flesh minion item?)
- 12 players is usually way too messy... Maybe make a mode where you're scattered over all the continents?
- The start can be tedious and slow, maybe put in a mode that everyone gets a wooden hut-spawn item, war mill-spawn item and a forge-spawn item?
- The screws, bolts, springs and gears and what other things there are feel really messy. I think you should just exchange them for 2 item types instead of 4...
- Another item could be the resource-killer, an item that gives you huge bonus dmg against resources (wood and stones), it's annoying when you're exploring that all those trees and rocks get in the way, and that you have to hit them a couple of times to get them gone. I know this can be solved by weapons, but not all classes have them...
- The warrior class doesn't have any active ability, making him boring to play... I think you should add more abilities in general to every class.
- The pyromaniac's fire stun is imba, it deals huge dmg and stuns... I think a damage over time spell would be better, as fire isn't supposed to deal massive dmg when you touch it for a tiny while, right?

-Exploring isn't supposed to be too rewarding...
-It's being considered.
-If people have trouble, hit F9. If that doesn't work, altf4.
-Item conflicts.
-Considered.
-The Warrior class is rigged enough as-is... Their stun and knockback are too powerful, why make them even more powerful?
-EVERYONE knows about the Pyromaniac problem, trust me, it's being worked on.

Ultimate_MapCreator said:
- Maybe make it so that a campfire can be used to create hot coal as well? It seems to me that if you put wood in fire you get hot coal as well... Would also reduce the time to build a decent base (which is the most repetitive overall...).
- Suggestion for ability warrior: Encumbering Slash: Active: Reduces the move and attack speed of the target.
- Improve the descriptions of the abilities. I want to know how much damage everything does, how much chance for critical strike, etc.
- Make it so that if you type -neutral to ally (not share vision) everyone, everyone doesn't neutral you as well... Can make for some really cheep get-in-base tactics, because you just say -neutral, so their towers don't attack you anymore, you walk inside their base, type -war, and go kill everything...

-Considered.
-Which allows for unbalancing in the long run... It's complicated. And doesn't lumber feed a fire?
-Warriors are overpowered already.
-Specifics would take forever to roll out.
-Simply, no. Balancing.
-Mith is certainly rare. Silver and gold aren't supposed to be EXTREMELY rare.
-Considered.
-I'm making more. And balancing as well. Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

radsun said:
It's realy nice map ;)

But it have some bugs:
-- sometimes corpse picking not working, two times while playing i can't pick any corpse for ten minutes, but later it start working
-- items spawn to close to bulding and player cant pick them
-- one time when i put wrong materials for building they all diseapear

Thing that will be great if you add them:
-- armor and weapons, when player click on it in equipment it will be equiped and don't use free space in equipment, to take off some command meayby (-armor off)
-- armor and weapons for all classes (for example club )

Overall: 5-/5

-It's a Warcraft III engine error, it's nothing I can fix and I'm getting tired of people telling me about this bug.
-Have the building pick them up; also something I can't really fix.
-It's being considered.
-No, it's more strategic using inventory.
-Considered.

Level 7
What my problem mainly is, is that the battles rely too much on who has the most food items and the strongest hero, instead of skill. Also, you could make the battles more FUN to do, if you add more active abilities. I'm talking about giving ALL the heroes an active combat ability, that way you can KEEP them balanced. Otherwise just reduce their normal damage or something like that, because battles would just be more fun with more active abilities. Also, replacing passive (like warrior's bash) with an active is not a problem at all.
I see your problem with the build/salvage/pave things. I think you should at least have 'build' as a unit ability instead of hero, because otherwise some noob might not choose it.
With the 'quick start' mode, I didn't mean that it should help noobs out, but more that people that already have played the game several times wouldn't have to do the same thing over and over (the real choice of what to build and make starts when you have a war mill and forge, in my opinion).
Also, you said exploration wasn't supposed to be too rewarding.
1. Something that is rewarding is fun.
2. I'm not aiming at imba flesh golem reward, just something fun and useful, like 100 HP, 7 dmg/s, 1 or 2 inventory slots. It's just fun to find these things and brag about finding them...

And a weapon for all classes would be very sweet :)

Level 5
Ummmm, try playing against Hero and his robot army....

Skill has to do with it too.

I fought a level 20 Pyromaniac with him having full gear with a level 6 Alchemist carrying nothing. I won. He was no match for my fleet of war zeppelins loaded with Shredders. Alas, he couldn't get past my walls and towers to even see what level I was. He should have made an army, but he didn't have time. He was busy fighting merlocs and not making anything except huts.

One more thing, When I play Alchemist with a partner, I sometimes do not take the build ability. It, like harvest and salvage, is a tactical choice.

Level 12
Shreddar rush kekeke
Not all heroes will get active abilties. It's just part of balancing.
Strategy is most certainly used. Do I make a good base at this base they know of, or do I fake it, make a shipyard, make a ship, kill the shipyard, run and make a better base somewhere else where they don't know of? Do I enlist the aid of a warrior to knock back large foes so they don't get in my way, or do I enlist the aid of a brute to keep a bunch of small foes occupied so they don't get in my way?

I can tell you what's happening, within reason. Not many new features will be revealled here.
-There is only going to be one additional hero in 3.6 than 3.56.
-The Worker and Builders are being fixed (improved).
-The Warrior and Pyromaniac are being nerfed.
-As many bugs as possible are being fixed.
-The Caravan is being nerfed.
-Survival is going to become more food-based.

Level 12
Silver ore is a rare find among destructible rocks. Here's a location though.
Start. Up north, by the wolves, there's a cave entrance. Go through it.
Continue on the path until you get to a ramp. Go up said ramp. Should be to your east.
Kill the two wolves there, and chop down the northern path.
By the start of the northern path and around a corner, there are a bunch of ores. All of them are silver.

Get Skins by bringing a loaded corpse to the Tanner, unloading it as close to the tanner as possible, and then using the Tanner's "Skin Corpses" ability.

Did you fix the building glitch yet? i wasn't aware there was new versions being made, so i made a new version based off of 3.35, and i mamaged to fix the building bug by making the built building in a rect array for each player, then using the "SetUnitX, SetUnitY()" natives to move it to the center of the build ability, so it is moved from the side of a cliff to a bit to the side of it, and it never takes your resources without building.

Did i add my version's meat fix into your version?

Just add this trigger, if i didn't

• Events
    • Unit - A Unit aquires an item
  • Conditions
    • Or - Any conditions are true
      • (Item being manipulated) Equal to (Cooked meat)
      • (Item being manipulated) Equal to (Lekka meat)
      • (Item being manipulated) Equal to (Spiced Leeka meat)
  • Actions
    • If (Charges in (Item being manipulated)) Equal to 0 then do
      • Item - Set Charges in (Item being manipulated) to 1

Level 12
Epic map IS epic.

Today I've got no work to do WHATSOEVER and so I dedicate today to working on GES... And helping my friend get set up with Wc3.