• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Galaxy Scripting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I dont know if you know this or not, but you can use actually make your own custom galaxy scipts without an external or thirdparty editor.

There is a script editor inside the Starcraft 2 Galaxy Editor.

Where is it?

Window -> Script Text

It may not be directly linked to the Trigger editor, but it is a scripting tool.

You can save your script as a .galaxy and import it.

It has syntax highlighting and a compile function.

Level 10
I dont know if you know this or not, but you can use actually make your own custom galaxy scipts without an external or thirdparty editor.

There is a script editor inside the Starcraft 2 Galaxy Editor.

Where is it?

Window -> Script Text

It may not be directly linked to the Trigger editor, but it is a scripting tool.

You can save your script as a .galaxy and import it.

It has syntax highlighting and a compile function.

<sarcasm>

Don't you pay attention?

It was required for an entire language to be created with its own compiler and team to manage it for us to use galaxy.

It obviously can't be used through blizzard given tools.

</sarcasm>

Thanks for the tip, some people were complaining that they couldn't do it, when it is actually pretty easy...

Level 14
Well I didnt know why everyone was complaining that they couldn't script in the normal editor... I found this out when I was trying to fix a frames per second issue whenever I opened a menu like file, edit ect...
Btw.

Does any1 know why my frames per second just suddenly drop from 600fps to 4fps when I open a menu like file, edit, ect...?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Does any1 know why my frames per second just suddenly drop from 600fps to 4fps when I open a menu like file, edit, ect...?

I am guessing you are using XP? Even if not it still is present in vista and 7. It is basically caused by the render window loosing focuse and as such it does not get updated very often. Once the menu closes the render window regains piority and thus it restores to normal.

This is a common problem mixing standard window elements with a rendered buffer. The UI is horriably slow due to the non realtime nature of its use and as such it slows down how often the rendered buffer can update.

The exact nature is probably due to the menu interface being software rendered onto the window buffer which takes a huge ammount of time to complete. It only updates the frame when a buffer is fully rendered (double or tripple buffering) so as to prevent screen tear. When the menues are not being used, the interface is static so the graphic card can directly map the result buffer to the window buffer (EXTREEMLY FAST). However anything software related is increadably slow as it has to be copied to main memory and back for each update and as such the main window has to render, the result get sent to main memory and then the interfaces generated and then the result sent back to display which is a huge amount of memory bandwidth load and during that time the rendered buffer can not be updated (no support for multi access to the same buffer). XP makes this worse by having a rather bad way of updating windows which results in even slower display at times (7 with its full quality mode has a more responsive update mode at the cost of more resources).

You might think I am talking total shit as your processor is barly loaded at all during the time of low framerate. But actually that is to be expected as the processor is not the limiting factor. The frame rate is limited by interface and memory speeds which are notoriously slow so the processor is forced to idle (well run other threads) waiting for RAM to be read.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Although it is informative to know you need help, we can not really help you with such a broad area as galaxy scripting in the StarCraft II Editor. You need to ask something with a smaller scope if you want to get anywhere as currently you could be asking for anything from how the bank safety works to what is a programming language.

Status
Not open for further replies.