• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Fourth Age Middle Earth - War of Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Yes!~~~ I'm the 300th post! Anyway btw, I think my map is too small, it's 256x256. Currently there is tiny space between Osiligath and Minas Tirith, I can push back the Mountain a little bit, but that would take down a land owned by Southern Fief. I wanna make it bigger, but that means 2nd reterraining..... and I don't want to do that again... currently the map is too small for epic fights you will see in Ringwars or BFME...

Level 3
Artnis you got a point about the map beeing too small, but some places i think it's too big and it would take ages to move your troops compared to the ones with little space.
I haven't done done too much changes, mostly practical changes. So I you want I could redo some things, but you have to do the crap work (copy doodads and units). You should allso then balance the distances between each team etc. I'll give you the map later today.
Last: you have any numbers on unit collision size? Is 16 standard?

Level 8
Dr. itsekk said:
Though I belive you see all the problems better than me I'll make a list of distance balanses.

The pirates is ok but could be closer. Will three be any other city in the desert?

Mordor is fine :thumbs_up:

Minas Thirith is way to close if you want Osgiliath in the game.

Dol Amroth is ok, but they could get an outpost closer to the rest of gondor to get them more involved.

Rohan is to small. Will there be any Edoras? In that case they need much more space uppwards. Helms Deep (and Minas Tirith) will need space compared to the unit collision size.

Dunland is good.

Fanghorn is maybe a bit close to Isengard. If you just melt it together with Lorien there should be lotas of space.

Mirkwood is huge and takes a long time to travel through. Therefore Rhun will use to much time moving his forces.

Will it be any rhovanion? And will you fill wastelands with neutral enemies?

Should be it. It is possible to fix the current map, or make a new one. Anyway it would be lots of work.
Actually I totally agree. The distance between Minas Tirith and Osiligath is tiny, there will be almost no distance between Lorien and Fangoran, and Mirkwood will be barely bigger than Helm's Deep. Making the whole new map would be the easiest solution, but that means starting from ground zero again! (For god's sake this is my second redo terraining) I say we vote. It's much as my map as any of you here. There is several solution to these problems.

1. We could make everything tiny, making the map looks larger than it already is.

2. We could quickly finish this version to get people interested, and than we can redo the terrain later, making it FAME2 (Fourth Age Middle Earth) like they did it with BFME.

3. We could redo the terrain and with me more experienced and now with many supports from great Hivers, hope for a better map.

4. We could drop the project. (Not optional, we worked too hard)

Vote please...

Level 3
Arrins I read a couple of tutorials, like walkable walls and stuff. It increased my understanding alot. If you haven't read any or just a few, I recommend you to read some. It would help greatly for a better helms deep or minas thirith. And god knows what else practical things you may learn.

Any new updates?

Level 3
Actually I totally agree. The distance between Minas Tirith and Osiligath is tiny, there will be almost no distance between Lorien and Fangoran, and Mirkwood will be barely bigger than Helm's Deep. Making the whole new map would be the easiest solution, but that means starting from ground zero again! (For god's sake this is my second redo terraining) I say we vote. It's much as my map as any of you here. There is several solution to these problems.

1. We could make everything tiny, making the map looks larger than it already is.

2. We could quickly finish this version to get people interested, and than we can redo the terrain later, making it FAME2 (Fourth Age Middle Earth) like they did it with BFME.

3. We could redo the terrain and with me more experienced and now with many supports from great Hivers, hope for a better map.

4. We could drop the project. (Not optional, we worked too hard)

Vote please...
when it was reverted to bfme 2, the only big terrain changes was isengard and lorien. else it was exactly the same

try to see if there is any walkaround in your map.. (as in so you can easily remake the terrain in some places to even it out)...

Level 8
Will someone please take charge of this project until I get active and rediscover my interest in FAME? Don't know when I will get active again, since my grades are kinda plummin and I'm slowly losin interest in FAME. If you are interested please PM me and I will send u the latest map. I don't want to keep you guys waiting so long by being inactive.

P.S. hope this doesn't count as necropost.

Level 9
its alright if you're putting a hold on teh map if your grades are 'plummin'. u could give the map to someone trustworthy but not madcd please. give it to dr itsekss

Level 34
Artins, why did you gave it to him anyway, the map is not going to run away or something.

If you need to pause your production, just let it like that, it's not like that map is super duper important.

Level 3
I see the problem and I fully understad. I wouldn't continue the though, got a bit of the same problem as Artins :p Too freeze it would be fine, but if anybody else wanna continue I'll be able to help.

Level 9
well then leave it alone for some time and when youre ready, continue on it. its not like we're all DYING to play teh map right now lol xD (no offense)

and your academic performance is much more important.

Level 3
we should talk on when the map is ready for beta testing... i migth get some of the bfme players to join up on northrend (if your from europe) or maybe some asian bfme players if ur from those regions.. but i dont know that many americans sorry, mostly rw players there

Level 8
Sorry to Say, but the project is dead. Me and Dr. itsekk was planning a huge comeback, but suddenly he left and I was left alone..... Heres the latest map we been working on. We redid Isengard and Helms. They look kick ass. The old version had to be redone thanks to buggy WEU. Long story told short. Sorry it had to end like this. If anyone is interested in working on this project, you can pm me.

Attachments

• Fourth Age Middle Earth.w3x
    228.5 KB · Views: 106
Level 9
ok im sure it will continue =) good luck to who ever is interested in working on the project. but i have a quiestion. has only terrain been done yet..?

Status
Not open for further replies.