• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Floating damage numbers (for spells other than critical strike)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I know that some abilities like critical strike and shadow strike create floating numbers showing the damage done. I was wondering if there was a way to make other abilities do that as well, and maybe change the color of the floating text. I would like to have this for an ability on a hero where a chance on hit ability deals instant damage and then additional damage over 5 seconds. The only way I know how to do this it to make a dummy bash ability that triggers and editted shadow strike, but that would have green numbers, and not red ones that fit with the burning theme of the ability :(

Edit: problem with floating text solved, still yet to find an easier way to have bash trigger the dot

Last edited:
Level 5
actually, I found the answer to my problem about 5 minutes after posting: I had looked in the wrong actions category in the trigger editor. now my problem is finding a shortcut to a chance on hit triggering a DoT..

On the note about searching the forums, I didn't see those in the tutorial section, but I'll double check.

Level 8
Attached is a map I started, it's just an AOS I'm messing with basing heroes on Warhammer Online right now. Only one hero is totally completed, the Pyromancer. But all his spells are coded leakless in GUI and have floating damage numbers.

The damage numbers will always show in the color of the player that caused them. DoT spells show their DPS at the start rather than many small numbers over the duration. Damage moves up-left and heals move up-right.

Toggle the mode via chat commands:

-dn 0 turns off all numbers
-dn 1 turns on for only ultimates
-dn 2 turns on for all spells

Default is set at 2.

You can check the triggers to see how it works. I'm positive making a JASS function would be better but since I used GUI, I have to paste almost the same set of actions in every spell.

The pyromancer hero has a total of 10 abilities, but only 5 are loaded at a time. The map will have a "pick your abilities" thing but for now, you have to set them in the editor. The pyromancer ones are easy to find: they all start with PYR.P, PYR.A1, PYR.A2, and PYR.U for "primary (Q hotkey)" "active 1 (W hotkey) "active 2 (E hotkey)" and "ultimate (R hotkey)" i recommend only testing with one from each slot at a time since their button coords overlap and maybe their base abilities (all three PYR.A1 spells hotkey W and are position 1,2 in the command card).

So I hope this damage numbers system might help you design one for yourself.

Hope this helps you come up with a system.

PS: you will see a lot of globals are dedicated to this system, especially making the colors for each player. If you don't want it based on player color, it will be a lot simpler than mine. The map automatically spawns enemies so you can just play it in test mode and check out the numbers in action.

Attachments

• TEST.w3x
    266.6 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.