• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Dummy ability for a projectile that doesn't require the character to turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all,

Quick question(s), which are: when making a targeted projectile ability (a skillshot), which dummy ability would you recommend for:

A) Having the character turn?

B) Not having the character turn?

For A, I've previously used Carrion Swarm, but I'm wondering if there's anything I've missed.

For B, I haven't the slightest clue as to what dummy ability would work. Ideally, I'd like for the spellcasting animation to play, but I suppose that's not critically important.

Thanks!

Level 13
For A at times I use Storm Bolt or Acid Bomb and put the projectile in the object data, at times it's Cripple or Chain Lightning with a projectile done with code, depends on the situation.

B is basically only possible without code when the ability has no target at all as far as I remember, in which case I tend to use Starfall for channeled spells and stuff like Roar in case it's an instant, all skills with a target will make the user turn towards it iirc.

If you need to do B with a target I don't exactly remember if there's a spell event that fires before the unit turns towards the target but in case it exists you'd have to store the original facing there and then give the unit the old facing value when the spell fires, changing facing of a unit instantly is only possible in Reforged with a new native as far as I can tell, all other versions only have the old native for changing facing but that takes a time limit for the action so all the turning around might be actually visible with that.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
You can use the Channel ability if you plan on triggering the effects yourself.

If that doesn't work exactly how you want then keep using Carrion Swarm, there shouldn't be any issue with it.

For B you would need to use triggers. I would catch when the Skillshot ability Order has been issued then interrupt that order and put the ability on cooldown/fire the skillshot towards the (Target point of issued order).

Level 13
You can use the Channel ability if you plan on triggering the effects yourself.
Channel is a very nice base for custom abilities as it is the most customizable one but if one ever wants the ability to be used effectively by AI players it should be avoided, iirc the AI has no idea how to use it.

Factoring in AI behavior in general changes the answer to this question a lot as you basically have to go for a base ability that has a similar usecase to the one you're creating, in other words base heals on other heals, buffs on other buffs, projectiles on other projectiles etc.

Last edited:
Level 12
Factoring in AI behavior in general changes the answer to this question a lot as you basically have to go for a base ability that has a similar usecase to the one you're creating, in other words base heals on other heals, buffs on other buffs, projectiles on other projectiles etc.

You can order the AI to use the channel ability by the chosen ordersting you set for channel in OE. And it's not a big deal since you probably want to customize ai anyway for advanced purposes.

Level 13
You can order the AI to use the channel ability by the chosen ordersting you set for channel in OE.
It is a possibility but I don't think that's a good idea personally, it would mean you need to code the AI behavior for that yourself, like making periodic checks based on if valid targets are in range and stuff like that (which ofc can affect performance to some degree), while using the proper standard abilities as bases requires 0 code for the correct AI usage most of the time.
And it's not a big deal since you probably want to customize ai anyway for advanced purposes.
Depends on the map you're making, I mostly do altered melee so that is not a strict necessity for me (other than making .ai files ofc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.