• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dual HDMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
So i heard a Full HD television could reduce your PC's performance when you connect it to your videocard.

So i was thinking could there be some dual HDMI option, for example when one TV has multiple HDMI inputs could i insert two HDMI cables into my videocard and both in the TV and configure it as a sort of SLI/Crossfire?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Why would you do that?
As far as I know, each HDMI-socket on the TV directs to each a channel, meaning the effect would simply be that you would have the same picture on both HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 for instance.

I don't know any details around it, and I haven't tried HDMI->TV (simply because nVidia GPUs generally don't come with HDMI-socket), but I'd assume it's just because of the resolution. A Full HD TV has a resolution of 1920x1080, it might even demand it. I don't think you will notice any difference if you move from a 24" screen, with 1920x1080/1200 resolution, to a Full HD TV.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
A HDTV is the same as every other monitor you attach to your graphic card, the only difference is it generally is larger than a lot of cheap screens.

Basically, the resolution of HD TVs and any monitor with higher res is so much, that it can cause slowdowns in various games like crysis due to the extra GRAM demands and such. It just means you will need a better graphic card to run them as well as they run on smaller resolutions.

If you provide an HDTV with a small resolution like 1024*7xx it will perform as well as if you were providing that resolution to a display of just that size. In the end performance decreases as the number of pixels to render increases (which is x*y pixels) however this improves vsual details, so it is a trade off you have to consider.

If you notice performance problems, just do not run the TV at its full resolution and take a slightly smaller one (the TV should scale it up).
Most PS3 and 360 games are only 7xxp and people do not complain about their resolution.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I mean that the performance might be decreased as videocards are not designed to work with TV's. They will have to handle a bigger screen and thus my FPS might drop or something like that.

As I said, it's the resolution, and not the real size, of the display that matters. If you are running 1920x1080 resolution on your computer, then there will be no difference when you connect to even a 101" screen as long as the resolution is Full HD (ie 1920x1080).

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, if he was talking about size, ie 24" compared to 32" etc, then he doesn't have a clue, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.