• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragon's Abode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I should be studying for my exams now but I found an opportunity to make a terrain after a long time....so here it is. Maybe tomorrow or some other day I will take more screenshots from different angles.
Criticism and ideas welcomed as always :)

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_032212_112056_18.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_032212_112056_18.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 462
Level 36
I don't like those models.. at all.
They're either razor or pixelated. I don't like that :/

I'd say that is more due to the editor itself, than the models.

That said, I am quite willing to look past the irritation of the jagged edges of the "mountains" and say that I really like this terrain and it's style.

The underbrush looks amazing to my eyes, and even though I'm not at all a fan of unit models in terrains, I can say that the dragons does suit the terrain pretty well.

If anything I'd like to point out the background. Mostly because there is none, and what little seems to be imitating one seems to be the eruption of glow models come to consume the world of terrainers, I'd do something with the intensity of that glow and quite possibly add a deeper and more cover-some background. On that not I would also prefer to see a camera angle that is slightly lower and more upwards pointing, so as to be capable of seeing more of the presumed-to-come background.

I could probably nitpick more, but I think you have a general basis to go by if you want to improve the terrain, as far as my opinion goes. Nice terrain, mate.
- Keep them coming :)

Last edited:
Level 11
I don't like those models.. at all.
They're either razor or pixelated. I don't like that :/
They are razors. :ogre_kawaii:

I'd say that is more due to the editor itself, than the models.

Also because of my prehistoric computer. :goblin_cry:

That said, I am quite willing to look past the irritation of the jagged edges of the "mountains" and say that I really like this terrain and it's style.

The underbrush looks amazing to my eyes, and even though I not at all a fan of unit models in terrains, I can say that the dragons does suit the terrain pretty well.

If anything I'd like to point out the background. Mostly because there is none, and what little seems to be imitating one seems to be the eruption of glow models come to consume the world of terrainers, I'd do something with the intensity of that glow and quite possibly add a deeper and more cover-some background. On that not I would also prefer to see a camera angle that is slightly lower and more upwards pointing, so as to be capable of seeing more of the presumed-to-come background.

I could probably nitpick more, but I think you have a general basis to go by if you want to improve the terrain, as far as my opinion goes. Nice terrain, mate.
- Keep them coming :)

Aye Aye Captain! :)
But changes can take some time, I've got my exams on my head. I will update this soon. Thanks for the critic, I patiently awaited your words.:thumbs_up:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Turn on anti-aliasing to remove the visible jagged edges. Also do not resize the image larger than it was orignally captured. Rather capture it at a higher resolution.

Also because of my prehistoric computer.
Even an old computer should be able to create a high resolution screenshot with some anti-aliasing. Remember that you do not need real-time like performance to capture a static image.

Level 3
It's hard to say.
Use some "bad" models to build your scene can surely improve your skills.
But of course , on the other head............

lol are you serious?!?!!?:vw_wtf::vw_wtf::vw_wtf:
the models are WHAT makes the terrain even someone who just opened the world editor can make a terrain look good with nice models
im not saying it looks bad it just is not original

yeah personally i'm all for the terrains with no models at all, right?

obviously models make a terrain look good. but not because someone gets a bunch of cool models and just throws them in there, its just a bit more technical than that. while there are some terrainers that claim the hocus pocus magical arts of terraining to be super complicated, they actually aren't that bad, it really is quite a lot in the models - but not really the what of the models, where, how, why matter a lot more for their making a terrain look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.