• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Dragon Age Origins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
dragonageorigins.png

"Men and women from every race, warriors and mages, barbarians and kings... the Grey Wardens sacrificed everything to stem the tide of darkness... and prevailed."
—Duncan, head of the Grey Wardens in Ferelden

Background

With the return of the Blight and Ferelden plagued by civil war, the Grey Wardens are destined to unite the the shattered lands and slay the Archdemon once and for all. Play as the ancient elves, the mighty humans, the proud dwarves, the destructive darkspawn, the cunning demons, the vengeful werewolves and even the Archdemon, as you fight for the supremacy and ultimate freedom... or domination, of Ferelden.

Gameplay

With vast armies under your wing Dragon Age Origins (DA:O) will truly test your military and strategic abilities. Every piece of the land, provides some bonus, or a negative effect. In DA:O you must utilize your army to it's full strength, and attempt to hold key positions. Units are gained from spawns, that occur every 80 seconds. Spawns can be upgraded into stronger spawns, and you can even chose which units, you want to spawn! In DA:O there is many choices for configuration, to suit it to your needs. You can chose to play as a archer based army, or a melee based army, but the choice is yours.

Key Features

-Spawnable units that are customized to suit your needs.
-Cities, villages and towns may fall, but can be recaptured and rebuild.
-The environment around you changes, as villages fall, so do the buildings inside the village, the blighted taint will take it's toll on the land.
-The environment provides defensive bonus, those owning the city, will gain extra defence and a health regeneration, while inside the village.
-Income is gained from taxes, royal commission and caravans.
-Experience is awarded to each unit, the more units a unit kills, the stronger it becomes.

~Dragon Age Origins... the choice, is yours!~

Last edited:
Level 8
Due to the lack of models etc. if will be hard but I believe Illidan and I can pull this off. We have the terrain covered and its looking nice. I believe gameplay will be a factor in this. Also got Dragon Age music to make it suit the theme better :)

Level 3
Couldn't you run into copyright issues? May be you could use it to teach new people about the "editor" then you would probably get around that issue.

Good idea otherwise.

:thumbs_up:

Level 8
Hm I wonder if I ask if I'd get permission. Most likely not since they won't even read my message... if they're anything like blizzard.

Edit: Screenshots are up and running :) Enjoy, remember the terrain is made by Illidan_Hunter so all credit goes to him.

Level 3
I believe that if it serves some sort of "educational purpose" then it would be "legal". May be you could check up on the "copyright laws"?

Also may be you should make it so everyone has a "grey warden" and you can choose to develop more or the player's army more or have a equal standing.

Think of it this way a army needs a general(s) and a general needs an army.

Level 5
But wouldn't this be screwed up? Like for heroes, Dwarves could have Paragons, Humans could have "King" (although that dude got pwned at Ostagar and Alistair's a Grey Warden),
and Darkspawn have Broodmother, Archdemon or Ogre, the elves would have nothing. Nothing at all. And what about Apostates? And no mention of the Chantry (templars)

daothwpreview.jpg

Income for humans, elves, dwarves and magi is gained by taxes, royal commission (mages) and special caravans from the capital, Denerim. Darkspawn don’t use income as much as others but every time a unit is killed they get ‘loot’ (very similar to grunts in ladder). They can use income to gain armour and new weapons but this is done individually.

]

Aren't people racist to elves?(Special caravans?) Taxes? City elves PAY that and the Dalish elves don't need taxes.

Level 8
Well I don't want to give to much information away but each darkspawn player has a hero each.

The Archdemon's Horde obviously has an archdemon. If the archdemon dies then they get the architect as a hero and can ally/unally other player including the other darkspawn player. But if the archdemon dies the player looses half his standing army and a 1/4 goes to the other darkspawn player leaving the player with only a 1/4 of his actualy army.

The Darkspawn horde has the mother has a hero. If the mother dies then the player just gets minor broodmother heroes that are weaker but replacable.

I like your idea for city elves paying taxes. Perhaps they have the choice to rebel to avoid the taxes? Additionaly if Alister is made king he can abolish the tax. This could lead to the city elves supporting the grey wardens instead of denerim and loghain.

Level 3
I never bought the game becasue it seemed "too perv savy" so I'm interted in how this will turn out. I guess I will help in any way I can.

Last edited:
Level 8
I like the idea and all but it will never work or compare in my opinion. I would rather just play the main game, XP, Add-on's, and the sequel when it comes out.

You just really can not get the full feel of the game without voice acting, being able to pause (Set up a tactic).

Somewhat good job on the terrain for Ost, but where is the camp ground and the entrance for the tower & tower, they both played a big enough part to be some what included.

Anyways, good luck.

Level 8
@Noob-Shale from the DLC will be avalible for use after killing a demi-hero demon. Only the grey wardens may unlock shale however.

@Pelsen-When the archdemon dies the architect becomes a hero. Since the disciples are made by the architect they won't be available until the archdemon dies, but even they they'll be demi's.

Level 4
I have Dragon Ages: Origins, but I don't play it much because I simply don't like its interface. Oh well. Good luck anyway, I might play it when you've released this.

By the way, nice terrain you've done in the screenshot. Great job.

Level 3
The truth is there are no "internet police" searching around "warcraft 3" or anywhere looking for this type of thing. The worst that could happen is someone "stumbles and complains" about it and I guess you could get sued. So I would try asking them to use their "stuff".

Level 8
Things are going rather slowly as I'm still searching for a terrainer and have two other projects to attend to. Additional school is starting soon and of course as we all know school is very helpful when it comes to Warcraft :/

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Wc3 isn't gonna die, ppl will still be making and playing Wc3 maps after Sc2.

Level 9
I do, it's just warcraft III is dying and in a few months will be dead, I see no point in creating a map if no one is going to play it. Rather, I wait for starcraft and recreate my maps there.

I will NOT stop playing WarCraft III even if StarCraft II will be released. WarCraft III was my first RTS game I've ever played and I won't stop it now because a "cooler" RTS apears. Maybe I'll play SCII, but I'll play mostly Wc3.

B2T, So I've did the little ruined city for...nothing? :( Sad, I really liked it.

SC2 is not only 'cooler', bet it's better. Think about it:
Terran Bunker and Orc Burrows, coincidence
Terran Buildings that can move and Night Elf Uproot, oh so what!
Zergs can only build on blight and Undead can only build on blight, getting creepy...
Xel'Naga and NAGA?!
As you can see, Warcraft 3 borrowed alot of concepts from Starcraft 1 anyways, so, in a way, you're not really changing games, you're upgrading.

Level 18
I dont agree i prefer Wc3 more than SCII yes the SCII editor is way better but i like games with orcs elves and stuff more than stuff with guns and all in a strategie style. I think Blizzard needs to make Wc IV cause if they dont WcIII is going down for sure. There is a huge difference already between this year and the year before when it comes to activity of players in WcIII (Atleast in Northerend)

Level 3
SC2 is not only 'cooler', bet it's better. Think about it:
Terran Bunker and Orc Burrows, coincidence
Terran Buildings that can move and Night Elf Uproot, oh so what!
Zergs can only build on blight and Undead can only build on blight, getting creepy...
Xel'Naga and NAGA?!
As you can see, Warcraft 3 borrowed alot of concepts from Starcraft 1 anyways, so, in a way, you're not really changing games, you're upgrading.

Wow umm they were made by the same coumpany!!!!!

Similiar styles play whatever you want I know Warcraft 3 will never die because we can mod it and modding is a way of bestowing a sense of "imortaity" into the game!

Yes, I know they were made by the same company!
So what? What does Diablo have to do with WoW, even if they're both RPGs?
Plus, when I say upgrading, I mean upgrading. Not just the graphics. I mean the editor as well. It has loads of features the World Editor doesn't, and people like Vexorian and Oinkerwinkle will probably make tools to mod SC2 as well. So, if Warcraft 3 got this popular because of its modding, imagine how popular Starcraft 2 will get!

Level 8
EDIT: I've contempleted this and desipte what others think... I've been given inspiration by the people who still believe in warcraft, so I think I will continue working on this map... expect to hear from me tomorrow to officially confirm this...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.