• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Doodad random variations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
If i add multiple variations to a doodad only the 3 tinting things are added to object editor for each variation.But i want the variation to have a different model, where do i do that?

Level 12
It doesn't work that way.

You don't magically create new variations that magically change the way a model looks. At best, multiple variations are used for tinting(changing color).

Level 12
You cant change the variation model of one model.

You'll have to fully edit the model as far as I know.

EDIT: Vegavak, a model can have different looks, that's what variation is for, as long as it's inside the model you can have multiple versions.

You can't add model variations to a model from the editor, you have to physically alter the model. If you have no alternate variations of the model already present in the model, then all model variations in the editor are good for is creating variations of the same model with a different tint.

I don't understand what you're trying to correct me with.

Level 4
Okay, how do i make variations in a model with gmax.I actually just wan to have a different texture.

Level 12
You only want a different texture using the same model? Why not just export the skin for the model, edit it however you like, and import it?

As for gmax modeling, there are probably tutorials to guide you through the process.

Level 4
AFAIK a model has (a) certain skin directory(s) in its code and it automatically uses that skin.OFc i can import other skins for it into WE but that alone wont do anything.
How do i tell WE that a skin i imported, is to be used for my models random variation #2 ?

Level 12
I don't think having 1 model with 2 skins is possible without some advanced JASS. I saw it done before with a unit model, but I don't remember the specifics. I saw it at WC3C.

Level 4
But apparently blizzard has done it, doodads like pile of treasure, skull pile and crates all have different models represented as random variations.

Level 21
jass has nothing to do with it.

I remember reading somewhere that it *is* possible to make 1 model use different skins, but don't ask me how...
The easiest way is probably simply importing 2 times the same model with a small mdl edit so they use 2 different skins. That will, however, require an additional modelfile to be imported in your map per skin.

And like people have already told you, serpent, it's all in the model. The SAME modelfile can have multiple variations, but it's only "faking". Blizzard too has 3 different models for the city building, and a 4th "model" which contains the 3 original models as variations. I don't know how to do it but it's pretty useless to do it yourself IMO... It'd be easier to simply copy/paste your doodad and use 2 different models.

Status
Not open for further replies.