• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DISCUSSION: Object Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
What would you change/add to the Object Editor?

Hey guys,

What tools would make it better? Do you have any ideas or thoughts that would make the object editor easier or would make tasks faster?

If you're interested as to why I'm asking and help some more, this post if for you.

Last edited:
Level 24
Thats what I am talking about.

... but hey, why only Object editor?

I assume that you also want stuff about the Trigger editor and Terrain editor at least.
The import manager, sound editor and AI editor can come later.
Campaign editor and Object manager dont really matter at this point.

Level 25
Some way of creating custom objects.

E.g. we have units and destructibles, but I would like the ability to create a new object type, like a missile or other helper.

Ability to add custom data to existing classes (like units), so that you could e.g. add a stat for Wisdom as a 4th hero attribute. These fields won't do anything by themselves, by you should have access to them in triggers/code. Support any data type - integer/real/string/etc

Make own categories/folders, instead of being forced to use the race/etc structure as it is in war3.

A way to import/export an object's raw data (text). So I could for example generate a whole bunch of waves for my TD using some external program (all in text) and import it to have the editor create all those objects.

Links to related objects (as in sc2) editor. E.g. if I'm making an ability and I want to edit the buff, I can click on an icon next to it in the buff list to take me there.

For simple fields (like just a number), the field should be editable without having to double click it. Click it once, it becomes an editable text field (like when you click a trigger second time you can rename it).

Ability to edit your "workspace". E.g. in 3D editing tools, you can add viewports for different angles and such. The war3 object editor has just the list and the fields on the right, but it would be cool to have a button to add e.g. another list.

Integration with the trigger editor. E.g. if you make a new ability, instead of an effect there could be a simple field saying "run trigger X".

Level 21
The most useful thing for me by far would be the possibility of using functions inside object editor.
Within WC3 it would work through some kind of preprocessing of values.
For instance, in a TD map I would likely define the health amounts of units with some kind of formula like:
(level*100)+50

The level in this context would be unit's level in object editor.
Going one step further, it should be possible to have constants that are usable for any object

Also, there should be some way of defining new fields and everything should be accessable through code.

Level 2
Thats what I am talking about.

... but hey, why only Object editor?

I assume that you also want stuff about the Trigger editor and Terrain editor at least.
The import manager, sound editor and AI editor can come later.
Campaign editor and Object manager dont really matter at this point.

@Wietlol - This is just the start of it, I'm planning a series of threads for every editor in WE if there will be enough discussion here. The next one will probably be the Terrain followed by Trigger. Didn't want people to be overwhelmed but to be specific and focused on one editor and then move on to the next. Figured I'll start with the object because I think he lacks the most, but that's a conversation for another thread :D

Ability to add custom data to existing classes (like units), so that you could e.g. add a stat for Wisdom as a 4th hero attribute. These fields won't do anything by themselves, by you should have access to them in triggers/code.
Make own categories/folders, instead of being forced to use the race/etc structure as it is in war3.
Integration with the trigger editor. E.g. if you make a new ability, instead of an effect there could be a simple field saying "run trigger X".
@rulerofiron99 - I like all your stuff but these three are golden.
The most useful thing for me by far would be the possibility of using functions inside object editor.
Within WC3 it would work through some kind of preprocessing of values.
For instance, in a TD map I would likely define the health amounts of units with some kind of formula like:
(level*100)+50

The level in this context would be unit's level in object editor.
Going one step further, it should be possible to have constants that are usable for any object

Also, there should be some way of defining new fields and everything should be accessable through code.
@Xonok - This is brilliant, I actually tried to do it once in the WE only with bounty, searched for hours for a way, so this problem is familiar to me.

Level 25
Specify unit's AI and/or pathfinding method. This should point to a script, which will allow you to make a custom one and select that. E.g. a zombie should rather just have a "face target direction and walk" AI, which also reduces CPU load allowing you to have more of them. You could maybe generalise this to a "unit/object script" field, which would be a script that runs for a unit (or object) every X seconds. This way you could make something like a gate that needs a key to open by specifying the trigger to be run (check units with item in range of gate) and how frequently to run it.

Not necessarily object editor: each module (object/trigger/map editors) should have the option to be independent. E.g. launch just the object editor, open your map and work on units.

Level 2
@rulerofiron99 - I agree. AI should be able to be specific to certain units. That's a great idea.

@kamyflex - I think you are mistaken me for a daydreamer. Anyway, this is not a place to talk about my project, this is a place to talk about the Object editor.

Level 11
What about Being able to create and assign variables (with or without array's) from within object editor?

Essentially having a "Variable" field and being able to assign it there rather than hopping back and forth between object editor and trigger editor.

Also, I second the raw text data import. If you could create a unit in Excel or notepad and import the values in and it create the unit with the fields populated, that'd be ridiculousness.

Level 12
I did not read all those posts, if you have some good suggestions which are very useful and not too hard to implement and can't be done by JNGP, please post them to the 1.27 wish list thread (see my signature).

Status
Not open for further replies.