• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Mel Gibson is a genius as much on the screen as behind the scenes. The Patriot was no exception.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

POTC4 is different. I think that sums it up. It's less serious, I guess? Superficial consequences and more fantasy related than the previous films. I mean, the three first didn't future magic beyond the cur- actually, never mind that bit about more fantasy related. The fourth film is cramped with supernatural, though. From Blackbeard's magic to the fountain of youth. There's more comedy than the other films, and less action. I also feel Jack Sparrow has lost some character, maybe Johnny Depp is tired of playing him. On the other hand, Barbossa has a far more developed character this time around, though a little bit far from, uh, let's call it the original character. I might be hating, but Penélope Cruz scarcely makes up for Keira Knightley's absence, and Stephen Graham even less of a worthy replacement (not as in same character depicted by new actor) for Orlando Bloom. I also felt Ian McShane did a weak performance and Blackbeard seemed much less intimidating than I would've expected - instead, he's a pirate magus with a sense of humour and a pretend-to-be-evil attitude. All in all, I feel POTC4 was even more aimed at the younger crowd than the former installations. It's still enjoyable, though, it's not like it's literally bad, it's just not the sequel I was looking for. Either way, you should watch the film if only to see the mermaid scene and lose yourself in the music. Hans Zimmer does not disappoint. Also, there's an exploding lighthouse.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Oh, that's right!

I watched Cowboys and Aliens with a few friends the other day, and I'm not sure what to say, the opening scene is marvellous (the whole 'huh, what's this? let's bash it with a rock' thing). There's a lot of good stuff (Olivia Wilde, anyone?) in it, but it lacks substance. Who is she? How did she get here? She doesn't say. Why do they need it? Why do they need to figure that out? Cliché. There's just so much you don't get to understand, but it floats anyway because it's been described so many times before. I suppose that's either half the point or the director has seen so many films of the same kind he neglected to realise there is no reasoning. Oh, and if you're completely baffled by my questionnaire - I tried to leave out anything that spoils. So now you're just incredibly curious about what clichés I'm talking about, right? Have fun, it's decent evening entertainment. Pretty good acting, too. Did I mention it has Olivia Wilde? It has Daniel Craig and David O'Hara as well, though I didn't actually take note of the latter one's presence.

13470015.png

Level 26
Holy Hel and her ginormous boobs. This was probably the cutest thing I've seen in years.
I ended up watching the whole thing just because of the cuteness of it all. XD

POTC4 is different. I think that sums it up. It's less serious, I guess? Superficial consequences and more fantasy related than the previous films. I mean, the three first didn't future magic beyond the cur- actually, never mind that bit about more fantasy related. The fourth film is cramped with supernatural, though. From Blackbeard's magic to the fountain of youth. There's more comedy than the other films, and less action. I also feel Jack Sparrow has lost some character, maybe Johnny Depp is tired of playing him. On the other hand, Barbossa has a far more developed character this time around, though a little bit far from, uh, let's call it the original character. I might be hating, but Penélope Cruz scarcely makes up for Keira Knightley's absence, and Stephen Graham even less of a worthy replacement (not as in same character depicted by new actor) for Orlando Bloom. I also felt Ian McShane did a weak performance and Blackbeard seemed much less intimidating than I would've expected - instead, he's a pirate magus with a sense of humour and a pretend-to-be-evil attitude. All in all, I feel POTC4 was even more aimed at the younger crowd than the former installations. It's still enjoyable, though, it's not like it's literally bad, it's just not the sequel I was looking for. Either way, you should watch the film if only to see the mermaid scene and lose yourself in the music. Hans Zimmer does not disappoint. Also, there's an exploding lighthouse.

I actually find the fourth movie to be the best of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The second and third are terrible.
I'd recommend you to watch The first, then jump to the fourth. It's entertaining as hell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I guess you just like the comedy part instead. The fourth film would be just as bad with Jim Carrey playing both Barbossa and Jack Sparrow. I don't like comedy at all. Characters can be fancy, like Jack Sparrow in the first film, but I don't like it when the whole films seems to evolve around being funny.

Anyway, let's not fight over opinions, I don't like it, you like it. Let's leave it there.

I saw A Perfect Getaway last night, or technically this morning, for the second time. I absolutely love it. The rest of the, uh, review might spoil a little for people who haven't seen it, so consider yourself warned.
Even when you know the plot from having seen it before, you still fall for the idea that it's not them - but it might. I was trying to notice actions that would contradict the plot, but I couldn't really fault it. Everything they do has a perfectly good alibi (suitable for framing), and when you only get subtle hints here and there (catching the axe - remarking the reflexes) you never really explore the idea that it's them before it becomes all too clear. I wish there was an alternate ending, though, where the story continues, if you know what I mean. I was actually rooting for the, uh, newlyweds to succeed, because they were doing so well and I couldn't stand that ass of a "jedi" ..

Level 25
"My Name is Khan" (2010)
MV5BMTUyMTA4NDYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk5MzcxMw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

One of the best movies out there that I watched and been waiting for it for a long while.
Respect.
I am now a Fan of the Indie Actor Shah Rukh Khan.

Edit: Watch it for yourself and your own opinion. fuck IMDb reviews, it's not very welcomed by US critics since it's about 9/11 aftershock.
It was a big hit in India.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Watch it for yourself and your own opinion. fuck IMDb reviews, it's not very welcomed by US critics since it's about 9/11 aftershock.

To be fair, it has a 7.2 rating, which is pretty high for a site full of trolls and haters.

Yesterday, I watched the latest Star Wars movie. Well I must say I didn't exactly like it, but the follow-up TV series is pretty damn good, with a large focus on the clone grunts of the army, and not these pansy Jedi.

Level 25
To be fair, it has a 7.2 rating, which is pretty high for a site full of trolls and haters.

Yesterday, I watched the latest Star Wars movie. Well I must say I didn't exactly like it, but the follow-up TV series is pretty damn good, with a large focus on the clone grunts of the army, and not these pansy Jedi.

No, I mean the 50/100 metacritic, with 30/100 reviews and 1.5 stars shit
while other critics rated it 70-80/100
pretty wide difference between scores I must say.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

"My Name is Khan" (2010)
MV5BMTUyMTA4NDYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk5MzcxMw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

One of the best movies out there that I watched and been waiting for it for a long while.
Respect.
I am now a Fan of the Indie Actor Shah Rukh Khan.

Edit: Watch it for yourself and your own opinion. fuck IMDb reviews, it's not very welcomed by US critics since it's about 9/11 aftershock.
It was a big hit in India.

It's funny 'cause your rep is 911. Hahas.

Pan's Labyrinth, absolute definite must watch. It's a Spanish film with subtitles, and I just seriously can't find a single thing wrong with it. The characters are excellent, the acting is very well executed, and it's set in Spain in 1944 and yet the fantastic creatures, which look amazing with make-up and what not, that invoke the movie's 'dark fantasy' theme don't give you a strange feeling of not belonging in there. Overall, it's just an extremely memorable film because of all its elements coming together - plot, character, visuals, it ticks every single box in my book.

Level 11
Recently watched the animated clone wars that was made in the early 2000's and i must say, its a lot better than the newer clone wars... its shorter, but dam is it good!

The Best Movie I've Seen : LOTR: The Return of the King

The Worst Movie I've Seen : The Last Airbender

HFR

HFR

Level 22
I watched Doomsday yesterday.

It starts like the usual post-apocalyptic film: Scotland was quarantined due to a deadly virus and lots of people die and stuff. Some years later they discover survivors, and a rag-tag group of soldiers led by Kate Becki- I mean, Rhona Mitra must venture north of the barrier and try to find a cure for the virus.

After that, it's crazy. There's cannibalistic punks, gladiator-like arena duels, a group of survivors living like medieval people in a castle including knights, car chases involving a brand new sports car vs. a bus and lots of people dying.

I loved it.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I watched Doomsday yesterday.

It starts like the usual post-apocalyptic film: Scotland was quarantined due to a deadly virus and lots of people die and stuff. Some years later they discover survivors, and a rag-tag group of soldiers led by Kate Becki- I mean, Rhona Mitra must venture north of the barrier and try to find a cure for the virus.

After that, it's crazy. There's cannibalistic punks, gladiator-like arena duels, a group of survivors living like medieval people in a castle including knights, car chases involving a brand new sports car vs. a bus and lots of people dying.

I loved it.
One of my top ten favourites. Sublime entertainment.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Anyway, a scary movie that doesn't suck like Scream and the like, anyone?
I Saw the Devil leaves quite the impact. Barbed mallet to the effin' spleen.

Actually, this thread merits one more honorable mention; Rosemary's Baby. If you don't wring at the very notion of black and white shootings and some stains of obsolescence, give that one a go. It's all atmosphere with me, gore and guts by itself doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned.

Level 13
Human Centipede can't even be classified as horror. More like a cheesy attempt to shock.

>not horror
>cheesy attempt to shock

I'm pretty sure you just described that every horror movie ever can be described through an oxymoron, even though that, too, is effectively an oxymoron.

Congratulations, HFR. You just raped Logic, and beat her limp body to death afterwards. All in a day's work.

Level 19
I'm just gonna paste some of my Facebook list, because I'm too lazy to type shit out.

Fight Club
Being John Malkovich
American Beauty
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
The Big Lebowski
Scarface
Snatch
Training Day
Blades of Glory
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
28 Days Later
A Clockwork Orange
There Will Be Blood
The Thing
Se7en
How I Ended This Summer
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Kill Bill 1 + 2
The Big Lebowski
Sunshine
Pulp Fiction
The Shining
Trainspotting
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Full Metal Jacket
Reservoir Dogs
127 Hours
Taxi Driver
Survive Style 5+
The Usual Suspects
Spirited Away
Shaun of the Dead
Oldboy
Grave of the Fireflies
Dr. Strangelove
Moon
District 9
Black Dynamite
2001: A Space Odyssey

Mr. Bean
Arrested Development
Futurama
Breaking Bad
Mission Hill
Adventure Time
Archer
The Inbetweeners
Venture Brothers
Spaced
Azumanga Daioh
Metalocalypse
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
SpongeBob SquarePants
Animaniacs
Tom And Jerry
The IT Crowd
Danger! 50,000 Volts!

Last edited:
Level 15
Been watching cartoon movies lately:
Kung Fu Panda 2 - not as great as its predecessor, but the humor is catchy enough to give you few chuckles along the way, it falls predictably fast like most cartoons do but this isn't really something to hate.
Megamind - while bit predictable like Kung Fu Panda 2, but with charismatic set of characters, solid humour, voice acting, and usage of most rock music. Megamind is one of the greatest Dreamworks movie in my opinion.
Toy Story 3 - its a great conclusion for the entire grand movie Pixar pioneer movie back at 1995, having its ever favorable and funny characters along the movie and a very inspiring plot, Toy Story 3 is a must-watch to anyone who like/love this movie back on their childhood days.

Level 5
IronMan 1 and 2 - both are great movie, Sequels in most movies are bad
but in IronMan it's cool

Transformers: Dark of the moon - great for fans of the movie even I like it
Action movies are just my taste.

Tropic Thunder - FUNNY :cgrin: