• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Diablo III art style

What do you think about D3 artstyle and graphic?

• It's great! Blizzard has done great job!

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • Diablo 3 graphic looks like WoW and comic o.O They rlly dissapointed me!

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
The original developers Blizzard North wanted to remove all the classes and make new ones for Diablo 3. Blizzard didn't like the idea and Blizzard North didn't want to accept most of their ideas so Blizzard pretty much closed the project and shut the team down. The project then got recontinued later.

Level 4
The original developers Blizzard North wanted to remove all the classes and make new ones for Diablo 3. Blizzard didn't like the idea and Blizzard North didn't want to accept most of their ideas so Blizzard pretty much closed the project and shut the team down. The project then got recontinued later.

Actually Blizz North have done a huge part of the game, which was made in glorious 2-D. But Blizzard clearly didn't like the thing they have done. So they had busted this subdivision and restarted the whole parade, now with WoW-art team. Somewhat circus, that only knows how to build up lego bricks.

Level 24
Screw the FEMALE barbarian.

...:D

FTW with the Witch Doctor!
Down with the Barbarian,it means that Blizzard takes it softly,I won the game at all difficulties to easy!

I wanted Pally and more difficult classes,the game is dark-gothic,so having a Barbarian that sudgest a war/battle theme,it changes!

Also,in my first days of playing,I thought that Diablo was heavily related to religion,it was so cool!(7 years ago)!

Level 19
Actually Blizz North have done a huge part of the game, which was made in glorious 2-D. But Blizzard clearly didn't like the thing they have done. So they had busted this subdivision and restarted the whole parade, now with WoW-art team. Somewhat circus, that only knows how to build up lego bricks.

Blizzard North were pretty much developing the proto types and mechanics for the game. It's true that they busted Blizzard North and laid it to rot. After some few years they recontinued the project.

I don't think the WarCraft artistic style is such a good idea for a game like Diablo 3. The majority of the fans want darker and more gothic graphics some more than others.

I want the graphic changed but if they don't I'd still buy the game.

Level 23
I agreed with frostwhisper. I mean, who care if there is a gargoyle statue instead of another one? Who care if the have enlightened the tristram cathedral with more blueish colors? I do know alot of you care... But for me that is just bshit.

>The game is under development. You cant possibly say how it looks like only looking at some small clips on a teaser. Let me inform you that this is just a small part of the Realm of Diablo (the world of sanctuary).
>The monsters appear to have much better AI than in wow. If you saw the teaser you see that he actually grabs the barbarian savagily tearing his head apart from the body with effects you never see in wow`? Also, about the blood? Ive never seen any gory blood effects in wow. The only one ive seen has been developed from custom user cinematics.
>The graphic, once again, has "Gamma feature" which allows the user to determine the colors himself. For those who want that gothic environment, use that, since that is the equalent examples you have given in the petitions by using photoshop and just reducing the colors.
>The rage was inplented simply because a barbarian is a warrior. It does not have Mana. As for using this type of "mana" instead is a better idea, thus it fits the character much better. Sure, it may be more wowish, I agreed, but how "real" is it that that leap attack or whirlwind would cost as much mana as it does for a sorceress to cast frozen orb. Reconsider that will you? It is a matter of physical and magical attacks too.
A sidenote on what I said about the rage. We dont know if it really is rage. It could simply be a "regeneration shrine effect" just as (for those who knows d2) stamina shrine. It changes color too.
>The game has not been developed under the circumstances that it should look like wow. If you read (there are some posts I have informed about what the Blizzard staff and such, has said already). They have instead taken a look at all kinds of rpg-s existing such as God of War.

Ewh, once again, ill bring up these quotes.
Keith Lee said:
We all know by now that some people went as far as to make a petition for Blizzard to change the graphics, even only after 3 days of seeing the very first screenshots of Diablo 3. Why did Blizard choose a different art style for Diablo 3 than the previous games in the series? When asked, lead Diablo 3 producer Keith Lee, stated that in Diablo 2, and 1, they featured darker landscapes and dungeons which fit great with the whole theme of the games. Since the very first screenshots were released, people have blamed them to look a lot like World of Warcraft, and complained that they were too bright and colorful for a Diablo game.

Keith Lee stated the following about this: “One of the things that we considered when we were working on the visuals for ‘Diablo III’ is the fact that color is your friend. We feel that color actually helps to create a lot of highlights in the game so that there is contrast. A great analogy is like in ‘Lord of the Rings’ — not everything is dark. It allows you to see what a creepy dungeon can be like but if everything is dark it doesn’t allow you to have a lot of contrast. Diablo I and Diablo II are darker, and I think that the one of the main reasons why is the fact that in ‘Diablo I,’ you’re basically in a dungeon the whole time. And in contrast to ‘Diablo III,’ you’ll be exploring outdoors, you’ll be in dungeons, you’ll be experiencing so many different areas."

"We want to bring as much variety as we can when you’re playing the game so that you’re excited to check out new environments. We don’t want everything to look the same and that’s really what we’re trying to aim for. What we also tried to do is create very clean textures so that you can really focus on them. It’s a stylized feel and in that sense, it’s very sort of a Blizzard philosophy. It’s just really pushing the envelope in terms of the visuals so that everyone is excited about how everything looks. We think that ‘Diablo III’ is going to be better in so many different ways. We’re just building and improving upon the the first and second ‘Diablo’ games.”

Kieth also stated, "We’re very involved, because everyone’s very passionate about our games. Blizzard employees spend a lot of time actually iterating on [the game], and so in terms of the next phase, what we’ll try to do is a proof on concept on lot of different gameplay aspects. And we really want to get as much feedback as possible so that we can improve on the game and ensure that we meet Blizzard quality for our fans and for ourselves as players.”

So I want to apologize in advance for my "graphics" post. I was just outraged that people did not appreciate just the fact Diablo 3 was announced, and instead complained. It seems as Blizzard will be listening and making the graphics as the people want them to be. Which is good to hear, but at the same time, I would still love to see them done by a professional, and not only by what some people want them to do.

But really, this is great news, as it means that Diablo 3 will feature both great colors for some areas, that will include waterfalls, and other vibrant textures, but in other parts of the game, such as dungeons, caves, etc. the game will bring back the dark and shadowy Diablo 2 feel that the series is so used to.

1UP said:
1UP: Diablo II solidified the action-RPG genre further, but that was back in 2000. How do you keep Diablo III relevant to a modern audience?

RP: I think ultimately the gameplay is still very solid, and I think keeping it relevant is kind of building upon technology and really trying to learn not only from previous Diablo games, but also from all the other games in other genres. That's one of the things we really looked at a lot, the idea of, "this is an action-RPG, with (hopefully) a capital-A on the action." So we really wanted to make the game a lot more visceral. We kind took some cues from God of War and games like that. You know, really trying to ratchet up the visceral feel of the game to an 11 on a scale of 1-10.

[...]

1UP: On the subject of Diablo III being a more colorful game, there's already comments online about the color palette. Can you talk about how the team arrived at the decision for a wider color palette?

RP: Yeah, so we've probably been through, I don't know, maybe three major art direction changes on the game. And the previous two were probably a little more similar to the Diablo II look. But it just didn't feel right anymore. It didn't feel like an interesting enough environment to play in anymore. So when we finally came up with this look, what we're really trying to do is add more color to the game, and we were very careful to not want to go to WOW. We don't want the game to look like WOW. We want it to look like Diablo. But we felt that there was an opportunity to add more color to the game but still keep the game feeling dark. And I think that's something a little tougher to see in a demo. I think when you're playing the game, people will fall in love with it, and will realize, "you know what? You can have reds and blues and a more painted look and still have a very dark, gothic feel to it all."
Source: Diablo III Rob Pardo Interview

A sidenote. How many do you think would buy the game anyways? Even though there are ~50.000 who signed that petition now, I think it will mean rubbish. I have alredy assumed there are tons of people signed up more than once just to bring it up in top...

I can agreed on one thing however. In the terrain outside the tristram cathedral there are 2 bunnies jumping around, even when the 4 characters are ighting versus tons of blood goats. It all ends in the way that the male barbarian is "charging" one of the bunnies away:p I can agreed of that, but it is nothing compared to what Ive mentioned above...

Level 19
Wow I ain't going to quote all that. Please stay on topic about the graphic lol...
You can't just make the game darker to make it look cooler. If you compare these two images you can see that the second one is a bit more compelling and cool with all the details on everywhere.
1214657022122wu5oq6.jpg

Also I've never said that the graphic will have an effect on selling the game just because there are some jackasses trying to say that Diablo 3 is replica of WoW. But by improving the graphic or change the art style it'll be more appealing.
I'm OK with adding good features from WoW such as adding rage to the Barbarian.
Adding the mechanic for the bosses to bite you apart is a nice addition to the game.

Btw there is also a rainbow at the surface as if it is a wonder world.

Level 4
I agreed with frostwhisper. I mean, who care if there is a gargoyle statue instead of another one? Who care if the have enlightened the tristram cathedral with more blueish colors? I do know alot of you care... But for me that is just bshit.
carefc0.jpg

-------------------------------EPIC PIC NEEDS ITS PLACE ON THESE FORUMS---------
redmarine said:
Blizzard North were pretty much developing the proto types and mechanics for the game. It's true that they busted Blizzard North and laid it to rot. After some few years they recontinued the project.
Gaming Steve: Rumor: Diablo III On the Way? You Better Believe It!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Furthermore I think this thread is sinking deeper into its own pile of shit. People have expressed their concerns/opinions/wishes. I see no need to actually drag what was already discussed.
What matters is that WE can help Blizzard to make yet another great game or improve current foundation. Isn't that cool? Isn't the open approach to fanbase such a good thing (counting that some 'believe' that Blizzard will have a far better result without interference of fans)? Helping your beloved developers to bring predecessor-worthy sequel (yes, that counts for graphical atmosphere also) into life should be respected. Not trolled or blacklisted as heresy. These things should be advocated before-hand.

PEW-PEW OFF TOPIC PWNS!

Level 9
Thank you Mr. Void.

I think it is obvious that these people will not stop. It's funny seeing their efforts go to waste, but they will not stop.

Ignorance is something you can cure with time and torture.

Level 12
Diablo is great the way it is.

Anyway, Blizzard is made out of intelligent and creative people, judging by what they have done so far. I doubt they will listen to these suckers.

People who work on the art section there do a great job. Don't be ungrateful, be happy that you are even getting the game and don't criticize their work.

It's like ordering a meal then bitching about it even before it's been done, even though everyone told you it tastes great. Let the chef cook you a meal, damnit.

If you still want dark and gloomy, there is a gamma option on your monitors by the way. There will probably be one in the game too.

Level 9
When the time comes, and D3 is released, I'm going to be laughing at all the whiners when they see that Blizzard didn't change a thing.

Level 12
Of course they will.

The main reason why Blizzard won't change it is:

a) They know what they are doing. If i was lets say, terraining a map, and people started signing a petition to change my terrains, i would leave it the way it is out of spite. Maybe i would even add some flowers and rainbows to it.

b) All the 50.000 people that signed the petition are buying D3 anyways.

And yeah, i wonder how it didn't occur to anyone that Diablo III needs a plausible storyline. Not all dungeons can be gothic and filled with statues of satan. Some of them represent fallen monasteries built by men, now inhabited by demons. So it's logical that a normal man wouldn't build something with gargoyles and abomination statues.

All i want to see is some eye-candy and beautiful landscapes. I don't see how making the game more gloomy and depressive would help. Kicking demon ass is good enough.

Again, turn the gamma down and don't sign this thing.

Level 4
Of course they will.

The main reason why Blizzard won't change it is:

a) They know what they are doing. If i was lets say, terraining a map, and people started signing a petition to change my terrains, i would leave it the way it is out of spite. Maybe i would even add some flowers and rainbows to it.
Somehow people demanding for changes in StarCraft II's graphics to look less cartoony were heard-out. Now, if Blizzard had known what they were doing, as by your argument, such things wouldn't have happened, right?
For Diablo III we have pretty much totally re-rolled team of developers, none of old Blizzard North are found to be producing this game. I think that Blizzard North knew what it was doing with Diablo II. This time, Blizzard's Diablo III developer section is pretty much filled with WoW-team, of whom most of people don't even realise that Diablo series carry it's own graphical atmosphere (as we have seen from Gameplay movies).

b) All the 50.000 people that signed the petition are buying D3 anyways.
Well of course they're going to buy it. Mostly because of the storyline.
Other point: They wouldn't be diehard fans if they wouldn't cater for the future of the series. That's why they try to save this game from Warcraft influence, asking Blizzard to keep true to the past games, to respect the graphical atmosphere that was forged back in Diablo and Diablo II. Not mutilate it and mix with Warcraft-esqueness.

And yeah, i wonder how it didn't occur to anyone that Diablo III needs a plausible storyline. Not all dungeons can be gothic and filled with statues of satan. Some of them represent fallen monasteries built by men, now inhabited by demons. So it's logical that a normal man wouldn't build something with gargoyles and abomination statues.
Someone mentioned statues of Beelzebub??? You're deluded.
Anyways. I think that dungeons, that are infested with demonspawn and creatures derived from the depths of Hell, shouldn't look as they have been cleaned by 9000-maidens every single day for the past 20 years (and then brutally sacrificed keke:grin:). Not only it looks miserable and lacks logical placement, it also spits in the face of old Diablo (you could see dead bodies and pools of blood in the Labyrinth).
A normal man wouldn't build such atrocities...But a man possessed by Dark Forces could... There were many who had befallen the madness of Evil and started practicing the unspoken. Building such cult-shrines also wasn't dismissed. Obviously, not even priests could escape...

Again, turn the gamma down and don't sign this thing.
The purpose of all petitions is to only attract mass attention, for people to look more deeply into situation. With this one - we have achieved it. Saying, that people shouldn't sign it, won't help anymore.
Oh, and wanking off gamma setting scroll won't help to remove irregular assets, disproportions, Warcraft-like animations, overlarged weapons/armor/shoulderpads, crayon drawn textures, you dumbnut.

Yet again, saying that we only saw 20 minutes won't gonna work this time. I already responded about this thing.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Top notch, lads. You achieved world fame as a bunch of fanboy whiners.

Now be a dear and get one of those thingies... you know, lives, and wait patiently for the game to come out without trying to interfere ineffectively with Blizzard's plans and pissing us off.

Level 12
Bah. This is the part where I get pulled in the argument, and quote all of the sentences in your too long reply, then you quote all of my responses and thats a pure waste of time, because nor you nor I will change our opinions.

So ill keep what i think about your post to myself except for this part, it's freaking brilliant and sums up pretty much of what your petition is about:

Oh, and wanking off gamma setting scroll won't help to remove irregular assets, disproportions, Warcraft-like animations, overlarged weapons/armor/shoulderpads, crayon drawn textures, you dumbnut.

So basically the only thing you are satisfied with is gameplay/storyline while everything else is crap and an insult.

Design, art, modeling, animations... all of it is bad? Then what should blizzard do to please you, fire their whole art staff so 50 or 60 thousand of you, some of which have signed the petition without even giving it half a thought, would be happy?

Anyway, I've played Diablo I and II, and both games have been great. If there is anyone who can make Diablo III look good, its Blizzard, not a bunch of kids that can't even define gothic and/or gloomy. No, i am not necessarily referring to you.

Don't think that i don't want Diablo to keep its recognizable style. I'm telling you that a single bird does not make a flock. You will get a bunch of bloody dungeons. Not all dungeons in D2 were covered in mutilated people and rivers of blood anyway.

Level 19
Japut3h, I agree with you to the core and I am very satisfied with what I've seen so far seeing the bosses being able to bite and tore the heroes apart. But a little better graphic won't hurt?
What I think could to be fixed is probably the contrast but not too much or it'll ruin everything.

So kids under the petition,when the game is out,play it under low contrast!

Hm... I signed it but I'm still going to play the game at the standard graphic.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The days of darkness of over. I mean dark screens only force people to turn up their screen brightness which removes the whole point and just runes the colours.

Having a well light environment gives a more epic feel as well as can show off the detail of the environment.

Tyranid, the image link is broken.

Evil Tyrael would make more sense than Bloodelves and undead. I mean he was right near an appopoliptic crystal explosion which changed the world forever. Not just that, the crystal was curropted with baal's pure evil so anyone near the explosion would atleast be influenced in some way by baals evilness. But I dought they will feature this idea as who else would be your character's helping angel.

Level 24
The days of darkness of over. I mean dark screens only force people to turn up their screen brightness which removes the whole point and just runes the colours.

Having a well light environment gives a more epic feel as well as can show off the detail of the environment.

Tyranid, the image link is broken.

Evil Tyrael would make more sense than Bloodelves and undead. I mean he was right near an appopoliptic crystal explosion which changed the world forever. Not just that, the crystal was curropted with baal's pure evil so anyone near the explosion would atleast be influenced in some way by baals evilness. But I dought they will feature this idea as who else would be your character's helping angel.

Sorry for going off-topic DSG my dear friend,but where you half drunk when you wrote this?

Well,the Evil Tyrael idea?
Tyrael was the intrucipation of perfection and goodness,I cant see how he can be corrupted by Baal?

In game,it was clear that he could beat the crap out the 3 brothers,but he was ordered not to intervain.

Actually,the pictures we have been seeying,could of been Hadriel or a returned form of Izual!

Level 4
To answer your previous question "Who would be our player-helping angel?"
ME
I rule, I like to laugh at people who are misinformed and fuck up, i'd be drunk on potions of some sort.

Well...As we see, D3 is stepping away from other Diablo games, and I would even predict that WoW-team is even going make potions to have cooldown effect (obvious other RPG or MMORPG influence *cough*WoW*cough*). So, for your dismay, you won't be able to chuggle up 10 bottles of Super Booze Potion in 1 second now on. That's why you won't be able to get instadrunk in measly 1 second. Now you'll have to wait 20 minutes!
/phail

Level 19
Well...As we see, D3 is stepping away from other Diablo games, and I would even predict that WoW-team is even going make potions to have cooldown effect (obvious other RPG or MMORPG influence *cough*WoW*cough*). So, for your dismay, you won't be able to chuggle up 10 bottles of Super Booze Potion in 1 second now on. That's why you won't be able to get instadrunk in measly 1 second. Now you'll have to wait 20 minutes!
/phail

Stop making false conclusions. Blizzard hasn't announced if the potions will have cooldown and how long it'll take if there is a cooldown.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Potions won't even be this useful in D3.
They said they'll be adding health orbs dropping randomly like power-ups which automatically heal you once you touch them (to avoid the clickage fest required for good potion using and concentrate more on the battle itself).

Level 23
There are no evidences yet, what they have said, that orbs will replace potions completely. They did say however potions have been added so that the player can focus more on the game and fight and team together. The orbs will automatically heal all nearby in the party, just not one character.

I have not been playing diablo 1 yet, so I dont know what the stack is :s I do know that it will be a custom loot system designed for every player, but if the gold is involved there in the same way I guess we'll have to find out.

Level 13
There are no evidences yet, what they have said, that orbs will replace potions completely. They did say however potions have been added so that the player can focus more on the game and fight and team together. The orbs will automatically heal all nearby in the party, just not one character.

I have not been playing diablo 1 yet, so I dont know what the stack is :s I do know that it will be a custom loot system designed for every player, but if the gold is involved there in the same way I guess we'll have to find out.
In Diablo I rather than gold having it's own invetory spot gold took inventory space just like anyother item. I believe you could have 1000 gold in one stack althought I could be wrong. A gold stack was 1 inventory space each.

Status
Not open for further replies.