• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom tiles - work but not seamless

Level 6
Hi, I have tried to create custom tile, it is 1024x1024 dimension with 1080 reso and edited in Photoshop to appear seamless, then converted to BLP. Outside of Wc3 it does appear seamless, but not inside wc3. Is there anything I Am missing? Thanks.
Question 2) I was also thinking if I can somehow insert a "Normal Map" as well? Or mix both of them into 1 texture then use it in wc3. But first need to solve the seamless problem anyway.

Attachments

• Ground_Dirt_007_Seamless3.jpg
    Ground_Dirt_007_Seamless3.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 9
Level 3
Here my Opinion/Option/Checks:

1.Option: your tiles are not crossing seamless like this:
Opinion1.png

2.Option: You havent Import a Normal Map:

Option2.png

Create Normal Map with Gimp:
english.png

path.png

Option2.3.png

and Import it...
Option 3: You havent enough Variations:
Option3.png

Option 4: And this is a Important Point:
You have different Brightness in your Tiles/the colors do not match/ you have a bad transition
Option5.png

last.png

Better:
better.png

I Hope it helps :D :piru:

Attachments

• Barrens_rock_diffuse.tga
    8 MB · Views: 1
  • Barrens_rock_normal.tga
    8 MB · Views: 1
  • Barrens_rock_orm.blp
    889 KB · Views: 1
  • better.png
    better.png
    609 KB · Views: 3
  • better.w3x
    9.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Level 6
Thanks! You are awesome! But one thing I didn't understand, how did you fix the variations and brightness? I come from programming background and don't have much art knowledge.

Level 3
In Gimp i overwrite the brighter places with the darker places with copy and paste and the healing tool for a better transition. Important is that the tiles transition is smooth.
healing tool.png

better2.png

Thats how i do it :D ^^
Good luck :piru: