• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Music & Sound question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello. In my map custom music sometimes appears when heroes are using ultimates. I found that you can use custom sounds just like music in "Sound - Play Music Theme" trigger. Well, it's useful for me that I'm able to change volume for custom sounds, but there's no such option for custom music. The question is: will there be any hidden downsides if I'll use sounds as Music Themes overall or not?

Thank you.

Level 16
  • Example Functions
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- An individual sound can be played at a certain volume --------
      • Sound - Play Bark <gen> at 100.00% volume, skipping the first 0.00 seconds
      • -------- Individual Music tracks cannot be played at a certain volume --------
      • Sound - Play NightElf2 <gen>, skipping the first 0.00 seconds and fading in over 0.00 seconds
      • -------- All music track's volume can be changed by modifying the music volume channel --------
      • Sound - Set Music to 50.00%

The question is: will there be any hidden downsides if I'll use sounds as Music Themes overall or not?
Some players prefer to play games without music playing. The Warcraft 3 in-game settings menu has an option to turn off music.

If you play music over regular sound channels, this will go against the user's preference which may be undesired. This is the only downside I can think of.

Remember, as reflected above, you can modify the Music volume channel to achieve different volumes of music. This is a very simple demonstration of temporarily changing the music's volume. This would assume no other music is plying at the same time else that other music will have it's volume changed too. You probably shouldn't have 2 songs running together anyway.

• Temporarily Change Music's Volume
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Play a music track --------
      • Sound - Play NightElf2 <gen>, skipping the first 0.00 seconds and fading in over 0.00 seconds
      • -------- Make the song play at half volume (50%) --------
      • -------- Wait until this song has finished playing --------
      • Wait 20.00 seconds
      • -------- Return the music to it's normal volume --------
      • Sound - Set Music to 100.00%

Level 3
  • Example Functions
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- An individual sound can be played at a certain volume --------
      • Sound - Play Bark <gen> at 100.00% volume, skipping the first 0.00 seconds
      • -------- Individual Music tracks cannot be played at a certain volume --------
      • -------- All music track's volume can be changed by modifying the music volume channel --------

Some players prefer to play games without music playing. The Warcraft 3 in-game settings menu has an option to turn off music.

If you play music over regular sound channels, this will go against the user's preference which may be undesired. This is the only downside I can think of.

Remember, as reflected above, you can modify the Music volume channel to achieve different volumes of music. This is a very simple demonstration of temporarily changing the music's volume. This would assume no other music is plying at the same time else that other music will have it's volume changed too. You probably shouldn't have 2 songs running together anyway.

• Temporarily Change Music's Volume
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Play a music track --------
      • -------- Make the song play at half volume (50%) --------
      • -------- Wait until this song has finished playing --------
      • Wait 20.00 seconds
      • -------- Return the music to it's normal volume --------
      • Sound - Set Music to 100.00%
Thanks for answering. Btw, I found that modifying music volume doesn't work for some reason, I just forgot to mention it above. And if you're using some sound as Music Theme, it doesn't matter which sound channel it is, you still can turn it off through ctrl + m or fixing music value in-game, if I understood your downside correctly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.