• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Crimson Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
A grey fortress, walled by strong stones, shielded by river and wood and knife-sharp ridge. A seemingly immovable mass.

A raging orcish horde on the warpath, hundreds of thousands strong. A seemingly unstoppable force.

Welcome to Crimson Valley.

Crimson Valley is an altered melee/fortress defense map for up to 12 people. Players on two opposing teams - the invading Orcish Horde, and the defending humans - and struggle for control of the battlefield through land-based and naval conflicts. The human defenders hold a large fortress, and outposts on the rivers, which they must protect from the savage orcs. The Horse must overcome these defenses to destroy to citadel withing the castle.

This is a game of strategy, and teamwork is essential. Blindly flinging hordes of orcs at the enemy fortress, and you will see them slaughtered by archers. Build masses of towers on your walls, and you will see them reduced to rubble by Orcish catapults.

Only one thing is certain. In the Valley, there are no pacts of peace, no white flags, no prisoners taken. There are only those who live when the fighting ends, and those who do not.

Though I've been testing and re-balancing this map for a few months now, I still feel as if it is in beta. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Crimson Valley.w3x
    270.9 KB · Views: 104
  • HumanFortress.JPG
    HumanFortress.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 256
  • HumanOutpost.JPG
    HumanOutpost.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 167
  • HumanRiver2.JPG
    HumanRiver2.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 147
  • HumanRiver.JPG
    HumanRiver.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Orc Horde.JPG
    Orc Horde.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Level 8
just one thing to say :
do u really think that anyone will try this map ? u have to get their taste on a map with making a nice thread of your project including screens ,facts,credits etc. but with the information given u can already put the map into the graveyard of my granny

This was said to help you

Level 6
Hello,

First of all do I totally agree with Saia_Djinn and krisserz. Your post seems a little "empty".

So I choose to try the map.
The idea is very good, and it looks pretty nice. But most of the units are standard unit with stardard spells. Most of them with changed g/l cost, hp and damage. Pretty much the same with heroes and their abilities.
I also think, that you should remove the premade boats for both teams, because I was able to kill the orc shipyards before they ever had a chance to make a boat.

The orc main commander (Pink) got a really big hero. Really big. There is no reason to increase him to that size. It's ok if we was taller than the other commanders, but now is it far too much. I guess the his damage is because of the size, but why does he have lower hit point than all the others? He seems a lot more immortal then them.

I also think that the Capital (Red, Human main base) shouldn't be able to summon units. At least not the same units as the Garrisons.

I like the gate system. I have to hit a lever to open and hit another to close. But after first time I opened and closed it, it stopped working. I couldn't hit either the open or close lever. :( (Fix that, and put both levers on the inside of the base. It's a nice system :) ).

You also very few doodads which also is a shame. (btw, the few you got in front of the orc tent are demon runes.)

No offense, but all in all could you have used more time on this. Try to make your own spells and fill the castle with more doodads and such stuff.

-Sinizi :)

Level 8
@ Sinzi:

First, thanks for the feedback. I fixed the faulty gates and redecorated the fortress.

However, I think it is unnecessary to add custom spells, as they would add nothing to the strategy. I have spent several months on this map - not making custom spells, but trying to balance each unit so that the strategic gameplay comes out. (Actually, the entire fortress has been designed four times over, which is why it was so barren. This is the last iteration, I hope.)

Level 6
However, I think it is unnecessary to add custom spells, as they would add nothing to the strategy.

BZZZZZ! Wrong! custom spells can add loads to the strategy. For example, imagine a spell that made the orcs ethereal, thus capable of entering straight into the fortress. But the humans can construct magic etherealness-proof walls to prevent this. now, the humans have to choose which areas to protect, but the orcs have to be careful they aren't lured into a trap.

Level 15
i liked the description, gonna test the map now =))

but for now i have noticed 1 MAJOR mistake - in description you have an Immovable Mass against Unstoppable Force... i mean, c'mon... it should be Immovable Object =DDD
ok, sorry for off-topic =)))

EDIT:
ok, a short single-player testing, just to have a look.

there is a model for human shipyard in WC3 alrdy... it is better than a barn model...

all the same heroes... i mean c'mon - make different heroes. you want strategy? but if you make different heroes, players will be able to make thir own strategy

terrain could use some more love

rain and mist make it hard to see something. i didnt like playing with those weather conditions

destructible walls/fortifications would be welcome, but that is not a main concern

more unit variation wouldn't hurt. different units are made for different tactical and strategical aims, not for aesthetical resons

some tooltips need fixing

some hero ability buttons are out of place

hotkeys - yeah, they need some love too

some abilities dont really fit the heroes. you could at least changed names/icons...

all in all, not a single custom ability in the whole map... custom, i mean at least changed name/hotkey/icon/etc.

needs some more work

and why are there archers defending the citadel? catapults would just annihilate them, since archares cannot leave the platform...

orc commanders have no ultimate

catapult missiles are too slow

some orc tents spawn units blocked with tres. fix location of tents

Level 8
BZZZZZ! Wrong! custom spells can add loads to the strategy. For example, imagine a spell that made the orcs ethereal, thus capable of entering straight into the fortress. But the humans can construct magic etherealness-proof walls to prevent this. now, the humans have to choose which areas to protect, but the orcs have to be careful they aren't lured into a trap.

Well, I didn't have that idea, but it's a good one. I'll try and add it in the next update. I will also work on the terrain.\

Also, @ Void:

You know, I think you're right. Next update will have the whole map painted red.

Level 2
Hello there,

Even though I havent even tested the map yet, it looks awesome in the map editor. However, it seems as if though the orcs only have one ground way to enter the other island. This could've been done with a reason but maybe you should consider making more ground entrances into the human-controlled islands. I think this would force the human player to effectively place their units and such.

Best regards,
Lolaroids

PS: Although I really like the map, I'd really love to see this map in a warcraft lore wise correct setting.

PPS: Void, I think he called it 'The Crimson Valley' because the valley has been fought over for a long time, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.