• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Creating simple squad mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello,

Last night I had a strange dream of me making a map in World Editor even though I haven't played the game itself or played around in the editor in years. In the dream, I created a little map where the main gimmick is that units are controlled in squads similar to Star Wars: Empire at War. So after waking up I decided to jump on my PC and try recreating that, but I ran into a few problems (biggest of all being forgotten experience/knowledge of how the editor works since so many years gone by since I last used it).

So far the concept I'm trying to achieve is pretty simple: have a 'squad unit' (ex "Swordsmen Squad") that controls a group of actual units (ex "Swordsman"). the Swordsmen themselves won't be intractable nor selectable, the squad unit has the model of Circle of Power and is the one you can order around, while the squad members basically follow that and copy its actions.

The trigger for when the squad unit is created/trained seems to be working fine assigning custom squad number using the "set custom value" function (each squad will have unique ID across the world to differentiate them). Problem is with the trigger that is supposed to make all squad members move-attack every time the main squad unit is ordered to move - it only makes one of the squad members move.

Imgur

This is the trigger ^. So far it only moves one of the Swordsmen around, but not the other 11. Sorry if this is something really simple, but I haven't used the editor in years and I forgot a lot about how it works.

This likely won't be the only problem with implementing the feature tho, so I'll just ask more questions on this thread if they come up.

Thank you!

Level 1
That is exactly what i am looking for (the video)!!!

Edit: so I played the map that you suggested I take a look at for a squad system and i gotta say it's quite nice! I think that would work. I'll update if I make anything of it.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.