• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating Green Slime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Alright, so I'm working on a new game and doing a bit of terraining for it and I decided I wanted to have one room (also full of destructible egg sacks) to be covered in green slime. I knew I'd seen this effect somewhere before in WC3 and then realized that the 'blood' left by dead egg sacks was in fact exactly what I was looking for. Spider blood from dead spiders would also look just about right.

Anyway, I'm unaware of any way to just place the blood without the actual corpse directly, so what I've been doing is pre-placing some extra egg sacks and then killing them offscreen before the player's forces arrive. This sort of works.

The trouble is that I want the slime effect to be permanent- rather than slowly fading over time. I tried setting the animation speed for those destructibles to 0 but that only slowed down the fade time and it also created some new problems:

1) obviously the animation speed can't be set to 0 immediately after killing them or the eggs would freeze looking like they were still alive, so I need to freeze them after a wait. Waits of course are inconsistent. This one has been bizarrely so. The eggs actually freeze up as if they were still alive and completely unchanged regardless of wait length about 25% of the time. Other times they burst and then are frozen as pools of blood as normal.

2) killed destructibles have this habit of not playing their animations until they go into your vision range. This makes it so sometimes the eggs stay unharmed until you walk nearby and then suddenly explode. That's obviously not what I'm going for.

I'm open to other solutions to this problem besides the killed egg destructibles of course.

Level 26
Those are a range of blood splats. I think you cannot spawn them directly and anyway, the base texture file is a sprite sheet. Blood splats have extra functionality to cut it up into single sprites. You can however extract the resources and use them in ubersplats, which are available via trigger.

Open the model file via Magos, respectively the egg sack has two variations:

Doodads\Dungeon\Terrain\EggSack\EggSack0.mdx
Doodads\Dungeon\Terrain\EggSack\EggSack1.mdx

in War3.mpq

In the Node Manager you can see which splats they spawn (SPLxABCD). The four letters after the x are the id. Head to Splats\SplatData.slk and view it with War3SlkEditor, search for the id in there, so you can see the properties and the texture path it bases on. Proceed to this path, extract it, edit it (maybe convert it with BLP Lab), then you have two options:

Either overwrite one of the existing ubersplat textures (take a peek into Splats\UberSplatData.slk) or create a new ubersplat id but for this you need a custom Splats\UberSplatData.slk. Import the files and to spawn an ubersplat ingame, use the API for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.