• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Concept Art Contest #9: Theme Poll

Which of these themes deserve a shot? Choose carefully.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome guys,
Once again we're off to the theme selection poll.

Robotic scenesCanvas depicting a machine society(kind of like Matrix etc) at its normal daily pace.
AquaticBeings adequate to live underwater, various species made from your own imagination.
GolemsConstructs made for various tasks to settle for their masters(example).
Plantsconcept art of trees, bushes, etc.
You may think this is boring but I assure you it can be made interesting, I've seen quite a few interesting concepts of such (trap plants, consumer plants, treefolks might count in as well I suppose, etc).
Eldritch horrorsBeings outside space and time, impossible in our reality, yet, somehow they still exist.
They are grotesque mockeries of reality beyond comprehension whose disturbing otherness cannot be encompassed in any mortal tongue.
Sci-fi vehicle designCreate some really cool vehicles like in Star Wars (AT-TE, Hailfire Droid, etc.), not just ones resembling real world vehicles (like the ones we see daily in Art Station or in movies like Avatar).
Alternate history warriorsBase your piece on a historical existing type of unit but make it different in a way (ex.: the game "For Honor", Kekai Kotaki's knights, etc). Making this from Ancient to Medieval times (without the gun ages).
Artificial IntelligenceAn AI controlled entity, could be anything from an awesome machine of mass destruction to a humanoid-like construct.
RaceCreate the concept of an original race of your own, that would fit in a high-fantasy universe like Warcraft, LotR, Warhammer, Warhammer: 40k, etc. Medieval-themed universe isn't mandatory.
Monster killerCan be anything, templar, paladin, demon hunter, etc.
CaptainIt has a wide range. Space captain, medieval captain, military captain, etc.
EmotionsAnger and hate, despair and oblivion, etc. All the various intertwined ones that express in a being's emotional state.
Intertwined thematic erasImagine something like dark-fantasy meets sci-fi. It could be a combination of both aspects or a confrontation between them(for example).
CryptidsCreatures that are said to exist in this world, or maybe not, who knows(Loch Ness, Big Foot, etc).
HunterJust like monster killer, but in a different fashion. It can be a character or scene depicting hunting. Be it hunting for sport or some reservation population control for the well being of the fauna, etc.
Rare SightingsDepict a phenomena that you almost cannot see, or an animal so rare and different from others, or a rare habit no one commonly sees. Either fantasy or reality, it's up to you. Red sprites(lightning), colorful millipedes, strange cloud formations, tigers caring for his prey's offspring, etc.
Archon/ElementalWhatever you think fits the word (Tyrael's, Starcraft elementals, apparently there isn't much of a definition here, just make it recognizable).
SquadsCreate an art that represents two or more characters in a team, travelling together, experiencing events first-hand, etc.
Antithesis/Dualism"Two sides of the same coin", the "two halves" of the same individual(human or non-human), a bad side and a good side sharing a common "ground", some like shape-shifting between good and bad, holy-unholy, living-dead, beautiful-hideous, etc.
UndeadCreatures/beings that have been dead for some time but they were eventually reanimated by magical means.
VampiresA vampire is a being from folklore who subsists by feeding on the life essence (generally in the form of blood) of the living.
CyberpunkIt is set in a future that tends to focus on the society of the proverbial "high tech low life"(examples include Sprawl trilogy, Dune,Blade Runner, etc).
Overwhelming oddsA group of people faced with insurmountable odds or overwhelming numbers of enemies. For example, a knight vs a demon, a squad of marines vs a swarm. Despite their oncoming death, "these heroes" faced it with valor and courage, despising fear as it stares at their eyes.

Be advised, this is a multiple choice selection poll. You can vote on all but that would basically defeat its purpose so vote accordingly.

You know the drill, read the explanations to each theme and vote whichever appeals to you.

Theme Discussion

The poll will last 10 days, after which we'll proceed to the contest
See you all on the 20th ~

Last edited:
Level 19
Many good choices here, I went with Monster Killer, Squads, Cyberpunk and Overwhelming Odds. I wouldn't go with 4 votes normally but I could vote more actually, many of these are intriguing. I'll try to participate but this time I might go with just pencil and paper style(Traditional)

Level 32
I'll pick the best theme eva; "StopCampaignNoob was here"
Trust me guys, you'll definitely (not) regret it. XD

Anyway, voting for Aquatic, Eldritch, Squads and Overwhelming Odds.
^^
That option was deleted long before your post.

Anyhow, only voted for Overwhelming Odds. I feel that it's good contrast from the previous contest and well, it just seems awesome to picture.

Level 16
Oh yes! I picked overwhelming odds!

Been thinking of so many ideas and how to make them seem epic

-Best friends smile at each other, relieved they'll die together. One says "bet I'll kill more than you" the other replies, "not a chance" as they walk towards the massive demon horde

-a fortified zombie fort is held by one man against millions of zed as he plays his favorite metal music one last time

-a brave footman stands firm between the princess and an unspeakable horror

-a squad of space Marines hold the last stand against enemies as they let the civilians board the last evacuation ship

This is gonna be my first contest! Wish me luck!

Level 19
Oh yes! I picked overwhelming odds!

Been thinking of so many ideas and how to make them seem epic

-Best friends smile at each other, relieved they'll die together. One says "bet I'll kill more than you" the other replies, "not a chance" as they walk towards the massive demon horde

-a fortified zombie fort is held by one man against millions of zed as he plays his favorite metal music one last time

-a brave footman stands firm between the princess and an unspeakable horror

-a squad of space Marines hold the last stand against enemies as they let the civilians board the last evacuation ship

This is gonna be my first contest! Wish me luck!

These are great ideas man, i might steal them if this theme wins XD The first one reminded me of a battle in LOTR series, it was the final battle if i remember correct. Legolas and Gimli counts their kills throughout the battle :D

Level 28
It was a tie between Squads, Eldritch Horrors and Overwhelming Odds and I decided for Squads. I did that because I feared we would get fewer entries with Overwhelming Odds - people would tend to draw big, epic scenes with a lot of detais, and it tends to be much more work than simply drawing characters. Therefore much higher chance of people giving up along the way, which equals less participation.

And Eldritch Horrors felt much less appealing than Squads for some reason.

I don't think there are much more people left wthat didn't vote, so sorry if I disappointed someone =P (however we still got 2 days before the poll is closed, so who knows)

Status
Not open for further replies.