• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Christmas Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
christmasmap.jpg
Christmas is closing in on us and I know that many of you are like me; weak-hearted, Christmas loving simpletons that swells with happiness, warmth and joy as soon as you hear the word "Christmas". Not? Please read on anyway...

I've found quite a few threads about someone requesting a snowman or someone thinking about adding some christmas decorations to his map. Yet, I found that making a map emitting that christmas spirit that you half-heartedly start to emulate two days before christmas by maybe thinking of adding a tingeling bell or a sleigh mini-game to one of your previous maps is harder than you first expected, eventually because you doesn't find just the right resource. This is where the modellers and artists here on The Hive comes in.

Now, I've downloaded every single model from The Ultimate Terrain map that I think could be useful when I create a Christmas Map (I've attached the package in this post if anybody's interessted). I've found out that what I'd need the most is good-looking, simple models that can be easily associated with christmas. Here's some example ideas of models that I can think of off-hand:

• Bells. Just simple silver bells, hanging or lying around.
• Glitter, tinsel or anything sparkling with silver light.
• Those neat, red christmas globes (colour could vary of course).
• A nice star or angel decoration.
• A proper, good-looking sleigh.
• A good-looking, high quality Father Christmas (or "Santa Claus" for you who doesn't understand proper english).
• Some kind of christmas gnome/pixie that looks more like a christmas gnome than a World of WarCraft-gnome.
• Christmas food. Maybe a roasted whole pig with an apple in it's mouth or similar.
• Presents (Blizzard's one is good, but it would be nice to have losts of christmas gifts lying around; doodads or item models doesn't matter).
• Toys as single pieces, toys in clumbs and sacks with toys in them (especially a teddy bear would be nice).
• Nice snowballs. Maybe with an extra missile effect or a doodad/destructible snowball lantern.
• Maybe another snowy tree. We already got one good winter tree model here at the hive (in addition to the snowy christmas tree), and I think that this in addition to the standard snowy Blizzard tree could make a decent winter forest, but what the hell, environment models are always needed. Everything with snow is greatly appreciated this time of year. What the heck, make a pile of snow if you want, I'd use it. :)
• A Chrismtmas wreath
• Christmas holly
• Some kind of snowglobe

Of course there are useful models apart from the obvious Raindeer and Christmas Tree already in existance. For example, check out some of these and think of them as part in a map with my proposed christmas decorations, a white fog, Northrend Snow (Light)-weather effect and a base tile of pure snow. Add the previous proposed trees, Icecrown snowy rocks and BAM! How fabulous would that be?

Green Gel
Decoration Goblin
Branch Lamp
Ice Cube

If this is appreciated by the community I could gather all the models and post some sort of pack in the end. Please help if you feel like it; it's essential for the survival of the Christmas spirit. If you cannot model yourself but know some neat christmas resource that can't be easily found or isn't obviously related to Christmas but could add to the Christmas spirit of a map, please write to me and I'll add that to the list.

EDIT:
Some people have showed interesst and actually made some of my proposed models. I'll update this thread with links to new Christmas resources.

Thanks to Debode, we have some fantastic Christmas decorations to work with:
Christmas holly
Christmas wreath
Christmas bells
Christmas snowglobe

Merry Christmas everybody, and happy new year! <:)

Attachments

• Christmas Models from The Ultimate Terrain Map.rar
    173.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Level 10
Thank you. Please tell me if you get anything finished. I'll keep an eye out myself as well. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.