• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing the transparency of invisible units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
So the standard way of changing the transparency does not seem to work on unit's that have their transparency set with an invisibility ability (i.e. wind walk, ghost, perma invis, sorceress invisibility, probably others).

Technically, you can use wind walk to remain 0% transparent if you set the transition delay to be longer than the duration. However, I am looking to go the other way ( 100% transparent ).

I looked through game play constants and did not see any field that changes the transparency of all invisible units -- this would be an acceptable route for me.

My purpose in trying to make an invisible unit 100% transparent is that my dummy unit needs to be easily selectable so it needs a model file, it needs to be invisible as to not draw aggro/cannot be selected by enemy players, and the 100% transparent allows for an empty portrait.

Last edited:
Level 13
Appreciate the reply, and I suppose from what I listed invulnerability would work. Sadly, I need it so enemy players aren't able to select/target it, that kind of went together with not drawing aggro in my head, but I guess its not the same. Edited main post to reflect.

Last edited:
Level 39
What if you give it one of the pathing blocker models and then remove its collision instead of giving it a model you have to turn invisible? Granted I'm not sure if pathing blockers are clickable but it seems plausible.

The ideal solution to your problem is to get a clickable dummy unit with no visible model, and that doesn't seem too hard to do even if you have no modeling experience (the shape could literally be a 100% alpha texture sphere or cube).

You could also try only adding ghost to the dummy units locally for enemy players (and maybe also invulnerability locally for allied players) and see if that desyncs. If they genuinely can't interact with anything it probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.