• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Cannot find a tutorial on using default textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm thinking of making a model(s) from scratch and want to use warcraft III textures for them. I've never done anything from scratch before: its all been conversions. My problem is I cannot find a tutorial on how to use warcraft III's existing textures in the stickies I've searched. The ultimate destination however is starcraft 2, using the .dds texture files contained within the warcraft III art mod blizzard has for it. Nonetheless, a default textures tutorial would come in handy.

Level 21
Open the model in Magos' Model Editor
Go to: Windows --> MPQ Browser
You can open any default Warcraft 3 archive from there. You'll see there are 4 archives:
War3.mpq - Standard Warcraft 3 (RoC)
War3x.mpq - Frozen Throne Files
War3xLocal.mpq - Frozen Throne Local Files
War3Patch.mpq - Patches​
The vast majority of textures are in War3.mpq and War3x.mpq
Most textures are in the folder named "Textures". Expand the folder, right-click the texture/s you want to use and select "Use as Texture".
You can view your chosen texture/s if you go to Windows --> Texture Manager
If you want a geoset (part of the model) to use a specific texture, you need to create a new material with that texture (Windows --> Material Manager)
You can change which geoset uses which mateial in Geoset Manager (Windows --> Geoset Manager)

Status
Not open for further replies.