• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Can a lot of ability levels cause lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
It causes hugely increased load times for your map. Whether it causes ingame lag or not i'm not sure, but last time I tested it it didn't. So just increased load times.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
When the ability is first obtained it may cause the game to freeze for a few seconds.

I would recommend avoiding abilities with "100 levels" and instead look for alternative means of scaling. For example having abilities with single levels that are triggered and scale based on hero level or stats. This is sort of how Heroes of the Storm does it, except they use SC2's in-built damage scaling mechanics which are lacking from WC3.

Level 11
If you don't mind loading times, you can put all your abilities on a single dummy unit, place it on the map somewhere, and kill it with a trigger 0.00 seconds in. This will force the game to load the abilities during the standard start of game loading screen, and not in the middle of gameplay (which can cause short freezes).

Status
Not open for further replies.