• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bridge Underpass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello there,
There is something i ever wanted to know. Finally i just ask:

Is it possible to let units pass under a bridge, wich can also be crossed from above? I wonder how this could be possible in Gui/Jass.

The priority for me is what events and comparisons such a trigger should have. I thaoght about unit enters region and than checking flying hight but how about air-units? :-(

However my Jass knowledge is pretty bad. I need to rise it. Maybe with something like this?Im glad to know english a bit. ^^

Level 10
Concept wise, i would like to point that you will run into some serious problems with the wc3 engine:

1. The game completely operates on a 2d plane. So units on top of a bride would attack units under it and get aggroed by them.
  2. You cannot use a normal bride, it would require to be completely cinematic. Else flying units would snap above it and flying high things would get complicated
  3. Pathfinding. Depending on your implementation, units would try to walk under or over it even though they approach it from the wrong angle. Or try to walk a corner.
  4. Collision: Units colliding with their respectable walls will require keeping track of the affected units and from where they came. Units will collide with units from the other stage.
  5. Missiles going through the bridges. Not the worst thing, looking at the fact that units can attack through buildibg, cliffs etc.

When you would ask me what you would need, i am thinking about scripting how units move through the map yourself. But i wouldn't really recommend that.

Edit: what could be done, though: just open and close the respectable edges of the bridge when a unit comes neear it. Would screw up pathfinding, since it would ignore the bridge completely, but it could work.

~El

Level 17
Warcraft 2 is fundamentally a 2D engine. Units exist on a 2D plane, not in full 3D space.

You could make the illusion of an underpass by using moving elevators, but that would mean that units will only either be able to pass on the bridge or under it at the same time, but not both simultaneously.

The easiest solution would be something like a hidden waygate connecting two parts of the underpass, that way the pathing would remain consistent. Everything else would be quite tricky to pull off, especially in GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.