• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Blight ruins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I was little bore and wanted to try my skills in ruins. The story is that some elves lived there until the undeads came and corrupted their lands. In their path they destroyed the remaining buildings except the crypt so they can revive more of their horrible armies.

Attachments

• Ruins 3.jpg
    Ruins 3.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Level 4
Hmm.. what is the focal point in this terrain?
Pretty much just looks like felwood ground with some doodads on it to me.
Try to organize those columns, i'm sure the night elf buildings didn't consist of ramdomly spread columns on a plane field.

well here they are with columns and roofs the columns are opposite .. i did it like 5 to 5

I think you got the point. Also I don't know how to not do it like "felwood ground with some doodads on it"

First of all, trees doesn't grow that wide apart, thew grow in "packs" (lol, brainfreeze on better words). Also, i think the trees are to small and unvaried, try downloading the Ultimate Terraining Map, and pick some nice trees there.

Also, there is nothing really happening in this scene. That is what i meant by focal point. That crypt is simply not interresting enough, you should try to make buildings by doodads. Also keep in mind that vegetation grows in shaded areas, like beneath trees, and MOST OF ALL: why are there leaves on the ground, when there are no trees above them? Where on earth did all those leaves come from?

Here are some nice shots of similar terrains with nice focal points:
Picture 1
Some ruins in a cave, done by Keji. Notice how the glowing altar in the center immediately catches your attention.

Picture 2
Taken from Naze's terrain gallery. The hill makes a nice contrast in the view, and is a logical place to build a structure on. In your terrain, the ruins seem more like shoved into a corner, which is not too appealing.

Picture 3
Having objects at the sides like this makes a natural frame for your terrain. This does not have to be trees, you could make it cliffs, towers, or whatever, the effect is still the same.
Notice that all those terrains use fog. Go to the scenario options and make yourself one too.

Level 4
First of all, trees doesn't grow that wide apart, thew grow in "packs" (lol, brainfreeze on better words). Also, i think the trees are to small and unvaried, try downloading the Ultimate Terraining Map, and pick some nice trees there.

Also, there is nothing really happening in this scene. That is what i meant by focal point. That crypt is simply not interresting enough, you should try to make buildings by doodads. Also keep in mind that vegetation grows in shaded areas, like beneath trees, and MOST OF ALL: why are there leaves on the ground, when there are no trees above them? Where on earth did all those leaves come from?

Here are some nice shots of similar terrains with nice focal points:
Picture 1
Some ruins in a cave, done by Keji. Notice how the glowing altar in the center immediately catches your attention.

Picture 2
Taken from Naze's terrain gallery. The hill makes a nice contrast in the view, and is a logical place to build a structure on. In your terrain, the ruins seem more like shoved into a corner, which is not too appealing.

Picture 3
Having objects at the sides like this makes a natural frame for your terrain. This does not have to be trees, you could make it cliffs, towers, or whatever, the effect is still the same.
Notice that all those terrains use fog. Go to the scenario options and make yourself one too.

Thx .. also the leaves came from the trees .. (wind)
Also I know that trees grow wide apart .. but think how are the undead trees and I HAVE the UTM. See the "arch" over the crypt.
Updated (added fog)

*sigh*, i'm about to give up.
If the trees are that dead, why are the leaves green? Or ok, let's drop that leave part, that is the least of your problem on this.

Did you look at the pictures?
Your terrain is still completely uninterresting. There is no hint as to what have happened, and if you hadn't said that it was a ruined village, i wouldn't have thought that was the theme.

You need something, either at the centre or to the right (we naturally watch pictures from left to right since that is how we read; therefore, our eyes always stop at the right end), that can catch attention. It could be an old fountain (yours doesn't count, it is too small and the model is ugly), or a single ruined temple with something inside of it, or just something. Preferably on an elevated height.
Also, the focal point should have the most detail, while the rest should be less detailed.
The only thing you did was to add that silly arch and some fog.

Think for yourself; if i would see ruins in the forest irl, would it look like that? Does buildings ever consist of columns alone, or do they have walls and floor that could have crumbled and left traces? Wouldn't fungus grow on it?

Level 4
Also, the focal point should have the most detail, while the rest should be less detailed.

Well I'm working on that I have idea already but I still don't know how to realisit. It needs something like Light From Above (Angled) Green

Level 4
Well here's an update .. didn't post it over the original because I think it's not much better.

Attachments

• Ruins 4.jpg
    Ruins 4.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.