• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beginner's Terrain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello.
Well, this is my first terrain project. Little town near lake surrounded by forest.
I know, its horrible, so i need your advice how to improve it. Maybe i should use custom models?... But i never seen custom autumn tree models..

P.S. Dont look at units, they will be added little later :p When i finish with this damn terrain.. :grin:

~~~old screens deleted :p~~~

Last edited:
Level 4
Hey that's not horrible, don't tell yourself that. It's awsome for a beginner. The only think I would suggest you improve on is the actually terrain itself. You have really big bland patches of dirt. Mix those with rough dirt to make it look better. My only other complaint would be the sea, it's kind of basic. Maybe add some shallow parts, or other doodads in it, Seaweed etc.
:thumbs_up:

Level 6
Hey that's not horrible, don't tell yourself that. It's awsome for a beginner. The only think I would suggest you improve on is the actually terrain itself. You have really big bland patches of dirt. Mix those with rough dirt to make it look better. My only other complaint would be the sea, it's kind of basic. Maybe add some shallow parts, or other doodads in it, Seaweed etc.

Hm.
Ill try to fix problem with dirt :) Sea.. i was thinkin to work with that today, ill try to fix it too..
Thanks or advices ^.^

PROAGE!!! is this map meant to be playable? and in the fourth pic the dock looks kinda wierd.

if it isnt meant to be playable increase the size of the trees to make the scale more realistic.

Well this map is playable. I hope. Lol. Just trying to make solo RPG :)
Well i know, dock is horrible. But i really got no idea how to represent docks with warcraft3 standart doodads..

Thanks anyways.

Level 6
If u think this is horrible i say 'Fuck you' :p this is very nice!

o_O o_O

Well, i tried to remake *inner* town with custom trees and plants. Here is the result:

P.S. Dont look at backgroundz' standart trees :p
P.P.S. I think its good idea to recolour some plants into autumn colors..
P.P.P.S I also think i got idea how to make a *good-looking* dock

~~~old screens deleted :p~~~

Last edited:
Level 4
They're looking better. Keep up the good work.
1)ark_NiTe, maybe it's just the first terrain he's decided to submit. :D

Level 6
They're looking better. Keep up the good work.
1)ark_NiTe, maybe it's just the first terrain he's decided to submit. :D

Well thanks. But i think these trees are too bright... hell, my brains are goin to burn o_O *gone to look for more tree models*
Well, in fact, this is my first terrain. I didnt really like to make terrains, i was *spell-idea-scripting* specializied. Just read some terrain guides before makin that.

That's just beautiful!
It reminds of Tomb Raider... don't ask me why... o_O'

Tomb Raider? o_O lol.

Looks good, though you use the flower doodads a bit too much. Keep up the good work, your tile variation is nice.

Well there are so many flowers because of map' theme :p Flowerland xD

P.S. Sry for grammatic mistakes, got problems with english <('.'<) <( '.' )> (>'.')>
P.P.S Now i know - makin terrain is %$#%*!! much harder than spells lol >.<
P.P.P.S. Maybe i should remove old screens to dont eat your traffic? :p

Last edited:
Level 6
Well here is final version:

finaltownbg2.jpg

finalsquarekz9.jpg

finalgraveyardpk8.jpg

finalislandbf1.jpg

finalroadow0.jpg

Thanks everyone for advices ^.^

Level 15
Dude, that's awsome...Just a few things to comment:
1. That tree only used once in the first one...remove it. Very out of place
2. Second pic looks very messy with all of those fences
3. Perhaps you should remove the swamp trees in the third....

Level 6
Dude, that's awsome...Just a few things to comment:
1. That tree only used once in the first one...remove it. Very out of place
2. Second pic looks very messy with all of those fences
3. Perhaps you should remove the swamp trees in the third....

1) Ye, i know, but i like it xD
2) Well it looks nice in game :p
3) In fact, this is not spamp trees :p Willows lol >.<

Level 6
well i removed this *out-of-place* tree :p
Hm..
I think to fill my map with animated grass models...but i think it will cause some lags :p My comp begins to lag where there are 2000+ these grass models on screen... but fields made with this grass are so hot :p i like it hell >.<

Level 7

Go to the ocean. Nothing special about it but every hundred miles a strand of floating seaweed. Besides that it is just water.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.