• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Baldur's Gate campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm making a Baldur's Gate II Shadows of Amn map for Warcraft III, which I have only completed the character creation section of it. This map is just the first bit of it, where you can choose your gender, race and class. I only have a few avaliable for now, those are:
Overview
Race: Human, Elf and Dwarf (the classical ones.)
Class: Fighter, Paladin, Cleric, Mage and Thief (almost half...)
I just want feedback on the idea and such, and if someone feel inclined to help, as Werewulf has put it, feel free to post!
Thanks

Level 21
I'm not sure if this is thread is ok (according to the rules)...

Other than that, I loved playing BG 2. Anyway, I'm a bit sceptic as BG is a huge game (not to mention the enormous amount of subquests, spells, items, conversations (!) ). so I'm wondering, what is your map about? is it a campaign? is it just another RPG situated in the Forgotten Realms or is it supposed to be a 3D remake of BG? If it's the last thing... ehm... good luck and have fun because I ain't seeing it happening

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Change it to BG 1 plz i LOVE that game (never played shadow of arm, so maybe i should be happy to get some variation instead) but it sounds rly cool and what Eleandor says is true, if u are making a accurate rmk i rly think u need a team if ur ever gonna think about finishing it.

Level 21
by the way, the game is called "Shadows of Amn", which refers to the thieves (and vampires) in the city called Amn... got nothing to do with 'arms' :)

I played BG1 after BG2, and I can tell you that I didn't enjoy it alot because BG2 was obviously a large improvement and fixed alot of annoying things...
I actually don't think that even with an active team you could finish the thing... it's just too much content, and content kills game developers, even if it's basically "copy-paste"

I'm familiar whith many of these problems. And, Eleandor, it's not going to be a 3D remake, Warcraft ain't qualified for that... And what did you mean by not ok? because it's supposed to look like another game?
It's not going to be exactly like BG II, because it's way to huge, it's just going to follow some of the same story line and have some of the similar places...
An exact remake isn't possible.

I've made the first map, where you can choose your Hero; Female/Male, Human/Elf/Dwarf, Fighter/Paladin/Cleric/Mage/Thief. Think to give it updates where I add more races, classes, sub-classes and the multi-class option.

What I mostly need is a person which can make campaigns, since I've not been able to figure out how to change to next map on a campaign... Anyone else willing to help, you're welcome!

I've talked to some Wc3 players, and it seemed to me, that almost everyone of them has played BG II! Therefor, and because I'm playing it now as well, made me want to combine my two favourite games, Wc3 and BG II.

Jombo1, I'm not going to make this BG I, since I don't have the game, and it's really crappy compared to BG II SoA... You should really try it!

I surely hope there will be an interest for this map, since it's starting out well, I can give anyone that's intersted the first map, so that they can see how it's looking...

Things I haven't done is spells/abilities, complete BG II Icon set, balancing. These are the thigs I need help whith, for now, especially balancing. Like Beta-testers and that sorta things...

Thanks!:smile:

Great, Mingebarg! Do you got MSN? easier to speak with you, and I can send you the map! If so, just add my address, it's listed underneath my profile picture! :D I could really use testers and a terrainer, so you're very welcome!

EDIT: BTW, I'm going to be gone for a while, so I wont reply before sunday/monday/tuesday.. sry

Last edited:
Well, let me put it like this, redBlade... I have seen your entusiasme for Wc3, and if you have a great intrest in BGII, I will be priviledged to have you aboard!

Mingebarg; It would be best if you got yourself a MSN account, so that I can talk with you easily, but I still want help from you anyway if you do not! :D Give me a Private message when you come back!

This conscept has gone way better than I would ever imagine! Thanks everybody! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Well, RedBlade. I know you can skin, etc.. But what do you want to do in this campaign.

BTW; I have decided that it will be a campaign, not an RPG, BGII is way to big for that, with all the districts and such... I we can manage, it would be cool with the "Transitions among campaign maps."
But I didn't understand how it works, so if no one elso on this project does, we'll have to go for the original Campaign method; Map 1, Map 2, Map 3...
I'm thinking to add "Waukeen's Promenade" between each map to allow the player to sell and buy stuff... but only put the "Waukeen's Promenade" quests in the first map you're there...

Anyone have suggestions/feedback to that?

Level 21
wait a second...

this project is really off? Well, I feel this will fail, but I'm tempted to enter because I'm a large fan too...

There is however 1 thing I would like to know: is this campaign situated in baldur's gate, Amn or just the forgotten realms (the universe where neverwinter nights, amn, BG, Kuldahar, Icewind dale etc. is situated in)? I'd rather like to see a campaign with a total different main quest and subquests, situated in the forgotten realms rather than in amn...

I have made a campaign with transitions amongst maps, but that's been over 2 years now, so I'll need some testing...

wait a second...

this project is really off? Well, I feel this will fail, but I'm tempted to enter because I'm a large fan too...

There is however 1 thing I would like to know: is this campaign situated in baldur's gate, Amn or just the forgotten realms (the universe where neverwinter nights, amn, BG, Kuldahar, Icewind dale etc. is situated in)? I'd rather like to see a campaign with a total different main quest and subquests, situated in the forgotten realms rather than in amn...

I have made a campaign with transitions amongst maps, but that's been over 2 years now, so I'll need some testing...

Well, we could definetly use your knowledge...

I first meant for it to be a BGII in Amn Campaign, but it sounds like a good idea to make a "new" forgotten realm thingy... We could take a vote on that when we have talked it over, got some "reqruits"...
So, welcome aboard!

OK, RedBlade: Since you have ALL the forgotten Realms and D%D books, we could really need you for the storyline! We don't have much people on this, but it seems as if:
Me and Eleandor is doing spells.
You are doing Storyline.
Eleandor and Mingebarg is doing the terrain(or just one, not sure yet...)
Eleandor is doing the campaign map-map triggers and such.

Tell me if I'm wrong about something!

Level 21
The best thing would be 1 main character, and while playing you can decide to invite other NPC's too...

I'm not very experienced on making custom spells though... Right now I just made the Fireball (from Icewind dale) which creates a fireball at the position of the caster, damaging both friends and enemies...
RedBlade, you said you're good at everything, so I think it would be good for you to make some custom spells too.

One last note: We're going to use the d&d 2nd edition rules right? (those used in BG 1 and 2 and Icewind Dale 1) I think they're easier to implement and more fun to play with than the 3rd edition rules (used in Icewind Dale 2 and Neverwinter Nights).

Level 8
OK. Ill make all custom spells like :Mirror image (as BG II not as Wc3),Web and Entagle, Death Finger, Symbol of death and DELAYED FIREBALL !!! HAHA !

.... ahem ... anyway, ok. Ill be in the custom spells part too :)

Well, lets make it 2nd edition, its just that i dont know the 2nd edition of D&D, i know only the 3.5... and all the books are in 3.5, so i suppose I must turn them all in 2 !...

Level 21
2nd edition basically means that you can only have up to 3 multiclasses (although We should not implement multiclasses - at least not until we made enough progress in the rest of the campaign). In the 3rd edition, everytime you gain a level, you can decide to "take a level" for a certain class. For example: when a level 2 fighter levels, he can decide to take 1 level on bard, so he becomes a lvl 2 fighter/lvl 1 bard. Later on he can decide to pick a lvl on mage, then on cleric, etc.
Other large changes: the druid became the overpowered class in the 3rd edition. you can also pick other races such as Drow, ... Also there are lots and lots of feats, such as alchemy, concentration, arcane magics, etc.

The "fireball" (it's named otherwise, but I forgot the name) in icewind dale 1 is a fireball cast around the caster. In BG2 you target a point, and from that position the fireball is cast... In fact it's not difficult to change my spell to the BG2 fireball...

Good to know you're good at that, RedBlade :)

Just a question: to what extent are we going to use the BG2 rules? RedBlade, are you planning on remaking the spells as accurate as possible? if you are, that means EVERY character in the game must have saving throws versus death, magic, etc. ... Sounds too much work IMO. In other words, we should write down some basic rules somewhere.

Elandor, from that notepad you had the best saving throw solution I've heard so far... Saving throw depends on level. you just change the integer range, depending on what spell he's supposed to save against.

The Icewind Dale Fireball is called "Sunfire" in BGII. the Fireball is shot out, but the sunfire comes out from the caster... it's one of the best spells when soloing! I know from experience!

Level 8
YAY ! 300 Posts :D

NOOO ! Saving throws is WAY too much for WC3 except if we use Evasion eg as a basic Misc skill, but its too hard.

And anyway saving throws are 3 as you know : Fortitude,Reflex and Will. Making all 3 will take long. No no, we are gonna need a trigger to calculate spell misses and stuff ...

Isnt fireball the spell that the caster sends it, and at the targeted point it explodes ? I used it in Icewind dale 1 once at THE BEST ACTION PART OF IT !!!

Anyway, we should sometime meet in the MSN to get all the stuff up and think in real time what we should work on it.

Level 21
add me ([email protected]) to msn...

On the saving throws: I know it's too complex because you'll need saves vs death, saves vs cold, fire, etc. so the plan now is to make the chance to success depend on the level of the target.

You just add the following condition to your custom spell:
if random number between 1 and 50 > Level of targetted unit (or the unit that is affected) then the spell should work, otherwise, the targetted unit saved.
A dragon and high level creatures will probably be near level 50 so they'll be nearly immune to any spell...

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
You start Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn in a dungeon cell, with some creepy memories of a mage who's been experimenting on you. Your sister Imoen and old friends Minsc and Jaheira are also captive there. Your first conversations are with them (if you didn't play BGI you can act amnesiac and they'll tell you about your history with them; you can also be rude to them and make them leave, if you're suicidal, or you can just talk to them and learn bits and pieces of what has happened to you) and your first, extremely simple quests are to get all four of you out of your cages. Once that's done, you're ready to escape. - A little help with story ;)

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
mephisto, can you send me the map? i would rly like to try it, i never got to play BG2: SoA and since i think that BG1 is still a good game (mostly cause of the conversations, roleplay etc.) so this will surely not disappoint me, even though its in warcraft 3
[EDIT] sorry for double posting >_>

Level 21
We (or at least I) know how the story is like, but I believe the main plan right now is to make a new campaign that takes place in the world of the Forgotten Realms (you know, the world where BG 1, 2 IWD 1, 2, NWN 1, 2, etc. takes place). Why? Because remaking BG2 is far too much work, and if we want to play BG2, I'd rather play the real game anyway instead of the 3D remake with cartoonish graphics...

What we have right now is nothing more than a character creation map that's similar to the one from BG2 and BG1. We hardly have any game mechanics yet (spells, attributes, ...) and no other maps.

sry to dissapoint you, Jombo, but I've played the start of BGII like 100 times, I can sit with my eyes closed and press the numbers in the converstions.. :p

I wont send you the map untill you've shown what you can contribute with, so please say what you're good at and what you want to do on this project.

@RedBlade: Add my MSN as well; mephisto990(at)hotmail(dot)com

NEVER DOUBLE POST!!!!!!

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
well im not rly good at anything, btw im making a new campaign right now with a storyline item attachments, etc. i know how to do it all, the prob. is that im probably too lazy to finish it... but thx anyway, it was you and the games BG1 and Oblivion that made me start this (sry for offtopic^^)

Status
Not open for further replies.