• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Army balance system +rep for feedback and/or votes

Which system do you think is better

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read all before voting

Choice one-spawn based: This system tries to keep things equal by keeping the armies small and spawning everything at a set time. There is also a spawn cap so that units do not game too many units. This system is similar to the LoTR ring wars spawning system for TFT.
Info:people can't rush each other at the beginning of the game.

Choice two-set units:This system tries to keep things equal by making armies large but there are no significant replacements for it therefore you have pool your units carefully because an all-in battle could be a losing battle. There will still be some very small reinforcements for each army, it's just that their times of arrival will completely random(any given time between as much as 6 minutes could be the arrival time), meaning you can't rely on these small, random reinforcements that only happen for 2 hours worth of accumulated total time(if you don't get what I'm saying all the time the spawns could be between accumulated).
Info:There might be a complicated tower system designed to keep too large an army from getting in.

please cast your vote now

Level 6
I think choice two with different world events giving reinforcements could work well.
I have never really liked the first choice.

Level 3
What kind of map is this for? The first one has been done before, and works great (in my opinion). The second one is a good idea, especially since it hasn't been used before (at least not in any great maps i can remember). But it is hard to control all those units, and WC3 isn't made for that type of combat. However, if you can make it work well, I think you should go for number 2.

Level 2
I like option 2 better then 1. You could also do different events to help add to these small reinforcements. For example, you could have and factions out side of the map that could declare war on one another, giving you some extra troops. (i.e. Faction 1 decides they don't like Faction 2 anymore and are declaring war, all players that are the race of faction 1 gets 2 extra units for the next 5 spawns).

You could also implement something like influence points that are accumulated over time (sort of like mana), the more places territory you own, the higher your influence points regenerate. These could used to train a rare unit (but not necessarily stronger) like a priest or something, or use it to speed up research or something. This wouldn't necessarily give you extra units but will help you sway the balance of the battle.

Problem is this isn't risk, there are three factions(two are allied and the other is against everyone) the two allied have completely different play styles. One is a group of heroes(five players) which are shady caravan guards influenced by demonic artifacts. The other is an army fighting for it's kingdom, the common enemy is an evil occult group led by a powerful occultist. My coworker and I disagree on the system that should be used. I think it would be more balanced for both armies to have limited troops, with random spawns in place to keep your unit supply up but never have you rely on too many units. His idea is a unit spawn that is set to gain units every X seconds. He thinks that if they start off small at the beginning they will not bum-rush each other at the beginning like in choice 2. However, I think that if they only have a set amount of units at the beginning, they will be too afraid to rush each other. He also want realism, so he thinks that and endless supply of units will keep it realistic as well as balance it. Please give me your opinions on this so we can settle this issue.

Level 2
How 'bout a mix?

You could do a mixture of both of the options. Say for the shady caverns they could get the choice 2 system, infrequent spawns, while for the kingdom you could do choice 1, the more territory you own, the larger your spawns are. You could also do choice 1 for the occult units, or something different like accumulated prayer/sacrifice points upon which the rate increases depending on the territory owned.

The shady caravan guards would begin off with a larger army then that of the other two, but if the others start taking territories, their army can quickly become a problem and catch up to the cavern guards. This would encourage the shady caravan guards to use their army while they have the advantage rather then let the occult build up.

Level 9
I think it could go either way. It seems option 1 would give a more balanced/equal game if you are going for something rather competitive (want to keep it equal / rant free). But you want to add in some randomness, and interesting events go with option 2. It really depends on what you're going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.