• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Army Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey,

I have a new gameplay idea in mind and I want to collect some opinions and suggestions. I don’t know if this idea is new or if there are already some maps that use such kind of gameplay. The description below is a very early draft and I hope for some complementing ideas from the community to refine this game concept.

It is a free for all game. At game startup, each player is randomly assigned to a specific tribe. The tribes should be very characteristic and different in many aspects including theme, look, strengths and weaknesses. There should be at least 5 or 6 different tribes and maybe more if creativity/balance allows. Each tribe has a unique heroic leader. The player controls this leader and only the leader - a single unit, like known from arena or AoS games. In addition, there is an army that automatically follows the leader. The individual units of the army are depending on the tribe and they cannot be controlled directly. However, the army still can be issued some basic orders (like attack area, retreat etc.). Units in the army with special abilities should automatically use their abilities. For instance, if you got a shaman in your army, he automatically buffs your troops with bloodlust. The army system seems to be a bit similar to the squad system in Warhammer: Dawn of War. Being followed by their army, it is a primary task of the leaders to travel the map and fight enemies, conquer neutral camps etc. When specific enemies are defeated, these enemies hook up with the army which increases its size and power. As a result, players find themselves running and fighting to acquire the most bad-ass army. There is a lot of strategic potential in the decision which targets to attack. A leader might want to acquire new troops that fit best in his existing army and which might compensate weaknesses of his particular tribe. Moreover, I think there should be some kind of unit cap for armies to increase tactical depth. Finally, the layout of the map should allow for some interesting tactical battle situations.

So that’s the basic idea. At this point, I’m not quite sure how to deal with dying leaders or armies. A possible option would be to revive dead leaders at bases. In this case, the army size should decrease after dying so that players need to rebuild their army. Another option would be a last man standing gameplay without any bases so that leaders and armies do not get revived. In this case, games will be faster and maybe more exciting. However, I also like the idea of enabling some defensive tactics using bases. I guess the balancing will be tough due to the significantly different tribes. It might be also an interesting idea to allow alliances between the tribes. However, I guess such alliances should be restricted to 2 or 3 player teams at max.

Well, as you can see, while the basic concept is clear, particular aspects are quite undefined at this point. I'm note even sure if the name is a good fit. So I’m looking forward any ideas that help to complement and refine this concept.

Thanks and cheers

Level 5
The tribes could have contrasting gameplay styles. For example, one tribe of crazy voodoo trolls uses pure rush techniques, attacking fast with cheap units, tower-rushing and even, sometimes, disobeying the leader's orders and attacking whenever they feel like it.

A clan of Paladins could be the complete opposite, using late but heavy attacks and towering in their base. They could have slow and power heavy units.

A tribe of teleporters maybe, using terrain to their advantage kind like blink-stalkers in SC.
Maybe that's too complex, but there's an idea, I guess.

From my POV you should have an idea of the lore of each tribe: all their characteristics unrelated to gameplay, and, from there, the gameplay ideas will come flowing like a waterfall.

It worked for me, I had the idea of a nomadic tribe of orcs (for a totally different project) and decided how they'd be played after writting down how they lived, how many resources they had to defend themselves, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.