• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

anybody know of a good emulator for gamecube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
preferably one that can run the actual cds if that exists at all. i used dolphin until the developers destroyed it and prevented all versions from installing. the latest version requires a dll that does not exist. dolphin is therefore dead so i need something else. my gamecube works fine but my controllers are bad so by emulating the games on my pc i can use other controllers. i can also cheat.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Dolphin works perfectly. That said its system requirements are very steep and they might have finally axed support for older operating systems more so than they already did (so your Vista or whatever you keep claiming you run will be too old).

You do not even need to install it. Just download the package and unpack it in the same place as before, overwriting files when appropriate.

If it throws a missing DLL error you can seek technical support on their highly active forums or you can post what DLL is missing here.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the missing dll is named msvcp140.dll.
Person with same problem as you...

Solution... Install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. This adds the dll to your system so it is no longer missing.

The reason this install is needed is because Dolphin seems to be built using Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 so needs the accompanying Redistributable to function. Your system is probably lacking the Redistributable because it was released earlier this year around June.

Amazing what 10 seconds with Google can do...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
that got it working but that version is not the optimal version for metroid prime 2. what version is optimal for that particular game.
Please report regression to the developers. It is possible they are unaware of the regression.

You can use their build archives to find when it broke. This helps them blame the change which broke the emulation for that game so that an expert can work on a fix.

If the game has never worked well then chances are the latest will provide the most optimum experience. Many games still crash or are unplayable unfortunately so if Metroid Prime 2 is one of them you are out of luck.

Level 21
i can not.(the forums are dead and their email address is hidden.) the game worked well in earlier versions so, if i find the right version it will work well again. the developers are building the next version from scratch. i have an older version but, it gives me a 0xc000007b error.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the forums are dead and their email address is hidden.
They seem alive to me... 200 active users in the last 15 minutes, that is probably more than THW. They also get on average 15+ commits a day (varies on time of year, it should peek now) so the project is far from dead as well.

the developers are building the next version from scratch
No they are not building it from scratch. It took them nearly 10 years to get Dolphin to the state it is currently, they are not going to throw that out the window.

Sure individual components might be rebuilt from scratch (specifically GPU emulation plugins) but they often never make it to release and old plugins are still supported and maintained for a long time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i was on their forums earlier today and it showed a few guests. (less than 10 users all guests.)
Look at the post dates... Tons within 24 hours.

What does that have to do with "the developers are building the next version from scratch"? As I already said, they had to change their release method because their intended one was not working. This means that a "stable" release has been delayed and that towards releases they will implement a "feature freeze" so major changes cannot be made until after the release. Nightly builds are still being rolled out daily from the latest trunk, however these may or may not be stable and may or may not have some regression.

you did not comment on the error code i provided.
Meaningless to me, or anyone else here. Only the developers can help you with that.

whenever i join a forum the moderators attack my first post and deletes that.
Not our problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i am running windows 7 64 bit but, while 32 bit version of dolphin worked well with metroid prime 2, the 64 bit versions does not.
Read the FAQ...
Dolphin no longer supports 32-bit operating systems.
As such there are no 32bit builds anymore. All existing 32bit builds are very old (>2 years) made when they still supported 32bit operating systems. This also means that they assure a high standard of compatibility with their 64bit builds.

i have an older version but, it gives me a 0xc000007b error.
Again in the FAQ...
"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)"
This type of error usually only happens when trying to run a 64 bit Dolphin build, with 32 bit builds working perfectly fine. When people see one of the error messages about vcomp100.dll or xinput1_3.dll missing they often download 32 bit builds of these files from the internet and expect them to work fine with 64 bit applications.

If you're suffering from this issue, make sure to delete any manually downloaded DLL files which are stored in your system paths and in the path where the Dolphin binary is stored and reinstall them with the proper runtime installers instead. Refer to the two questions above for further information.

Here and here is compatibility information about the game. As you can see it should be compatible at the moment with current nightly builds with the issues mentioned. If not you need to report the regression to the developers as it is always possible one of their commits has unintentionally caused regression (happens quite often).

Level 21
i have read the faq at least twice already. they do not assure a high standard of compatibility, in fact compatibility took a turn for the worse when they switched to 64 bit versions. none of their 64 bit builds work correctly with metroid prime 2. (i tried several). guess it just requires a 32 bit emulator to run for some reason.(eternal darkness however works perfectly.) i can not report anything to the developers.(they have removed email from their website and a forum post would just get deleted.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
none of their 64 bit builds work correctly with metroid prime 2. (i tried several).
That probably has nothing to do with the migration to 64bit builds. If games stop working it is because they optimized/changed part of the emulator which the game used. This is usually the case with the graphics plugin which is probably the largest cause of game incompatibility due to how complex it is.

i can not report anything to the developers.(they have removed email from their website and a forum post would just get deleted.)
Well then enjoy not playing it. We certainly cannot help you any further than we already have.

In any case these 64bit builds were confirmed working with it.
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/master/4.0-5384/
https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/master/4.0-5124/

Here is where issues are tracked. If you register you may or may not be able to add new ones.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
it is an amd build though and i am running intel and nvidia hardware.
They have no "AMD build". They have generic x86-64 with instruction extensions which are both supported by AMD and Intel CPUs perfectly. They also write the GPU plugins with both AMD and NVidia cards in mind, adding switches when appropriate to assure correct and portable operation. I have no issues running Xenoblade Chronicles with it on my Intel and NVidia system.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
the builds are listed as amd.
Obviously, after all they created the x86-64 instruction set which Intel then adopted.

i checked that link and i led me to a website with amd builds for linux windows and mac os x. amd64 deb. i tried version 4.0.2 which is further down and only the 32 bit version can run metroid prime 2 well.
Yes which is what you want. As your Intel processor can execute it.
x86-64 (also known as x64, x86_64 and AMD64) is the 64-bit version of the x86 instruction set.
The original specification, created by AMD and released in 2000, has been implemented by AMD, Intel and VIA.
Various names are used for the instruction set; prior to the launch, x86-64 and x86_64 were used, while upon the release AMD named it AMD64.[3] Intel initially used the names IA-32e and EM64T before finally settling on "Intel 64" for its implementation. Some in the industry, including Apple,[4][5][6] use x86-64 and x86_64, while others, notably Sun Microsystems[7] (now Oracle Corporation) and Microsoft,[8] use x64 while the BSD family of OSs and several Linux distributions[9][10] use AMD64.

There are no 32bit builds so stop bringing that up. 32bit builds have been discontinued and Metroid Prime 2 has been confirmed running since the discontinuation.

Level 21
for the last time: only 32 bit builds can handle metroid prime 2 well. no 64 bit builds can handle it. i tried the last version that have 32 bit and 74 bit builds and only the 32 bit build is capable of running the game well. in 64 bit builds the sound is messed up and the game runs at half of maximum speed at most(some times it drops as far as 10%).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i tried the last version that have 32 bit and 74 bit builds and only the 32 bit build is capable of running the game well.
Those versions are over 2 years old. A lot has changed since then, and this includes the compatibility of the game improving from orange to green as documented on the wiki page I linked to.

in 64 bit builds the sound is messed up and the game runs at half of maximum speed at most(some times it drops as far as 10%).
The game is noted to perform quite poorly due to the constant shader compilation required. The sound will mess up if below 100% speed for obvious reasons (not enough samples per second generated by the emulation).

Modern 64bit builds should run faster, but could also run slower. The emulation team aims at compatibility first and optimization second.

The reason for poor performance could also be the lack of JIT recompile support for x86-64 at the time you tested and is likely one of the reasons x86 was dropped. Since the removal of x86 builds you can be certain that they now do have a x86-64 recompile feature.

Level 21
i have slowly got more enemies that i do not even know of but, they know of me. when i join forums controlled by those enemies they either delete my topics or ban me initially. i have enough trouble and i dp not need any more. another issue is that the dolphin forum was inactive for years. all i want is an emulator that can run the metroid prime games. please just tell me what emulator is best.

Level 15
i did try that and that did not help anything. only 32 bit versions is working well. there is likely something 16 bit in metroid prime 2 and 64 bit is unable to properly handle 16 bit.
The N64 had a 64 bit registry, all programs on the N64 operate in a 64 bit space. There is no 16 bit program for the N64. There can be 16 bit variables and operations, but that is entirely separate from a 16 bit addressing mode.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
there is likely something 16 bit in metroid prime 2 and 64 bit is unable to properly handle 16 bit.
Ever since the Nintendo 64, Nintendo has used 64bit for its game consoles. There is no reason to use anything else since they all supported it in some way and it makes little difference to development anyway.

metroid prime 2 was not made by nintendo but by retro studios.
Except that is as good as being made by Nintendo seeing how close Nintendo works with their first parties.

the fact remains however that only 32 bit versions of dolphin handles metroid prime 2 well.
The fact remains that the 64bit version is functionally identical or better (thanks to more development) than the 32bit version.

You have not actually mentioned any problems at all. You said purely it was running slow which points towards the game being hard to emulate (as it stated in the wiki) and your computer being slow.

As already mentioned, they aim for compatibility first and speed second. A game is marked as working if you can play from start to end without any bugs. The game might only play at 10 fps, or lower depending on system but it still works if it can be finished to the same extent as on the real hardware (no missing features).

If you want to experience the game at full frame rate with matching sound quality you will need to buy a Wii U, Wii or GameCube and its disc. If you want to play the game from start to end then the emulator will suffice.

i have slowly got more enemies that i do not even know of but, they know of me. when i join forums controlled by those enemies they either delete my topics or ban me initially. i have enough trouble and i dp not need any more. another issue is that the dolphin forum was inactive for years. all i want is an emulator that can run the metroid prime games. please just tell me what emulator is best.
Not our problem, just like the emulator. Please post on their forums about any problems. If you keep failing to do so we will assume you are trolling which violates the site rules. I expect a link to your post on their forum in your next response.

Level 21
the game runs faster and better on the 32 bit version of dolphin as it is. i am not trolling. what i am telling you is the truth. i have tested version after version of the 64 bit builds and they all fail to run the game without sound problems(also runs slowly) while the 32 bit version runs the game faster and more accurately. i believe that it is against site rules to threaten people which you just did. i will test the next stable release to see if that have any problems but in the mean time please suggest something good. if i posted on the forum of the developers i would just get attacked. it would be helpful however if you could find an email address to the developers.(email is much more effective than posts anyway.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Proof of the game running at full speed on a 64bit system. Further more this is on an intel system with AMD graphic card, something you said would perform badly earlier.

You can get 4.0 revision 4488 from here. The direct download like is here. This revision was only released for x86-64 (AMD64) as it was released after x86 support was dropped.

if i posted on the forum of the developers i would just get attacked. it would be helpful however if you could find an email address to the developers.(email is much more effective than posts anyway.)
This is not our problem. Please stop repeating yourself and either do the right thing and post on their forums about your problems or stop posting in this thread and accept playing it however you currently can. This is a Warcraft III support site, not a Dolphin support site. I doubt any of the developers even frequent here.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Then it is as I said, it just does not emulate well. They must have traded emulation speed for accuracy in some feature the game used heavily resulting in lower performance with recent versions (nothing to do with 32 to 64bit migration). As such the low real time frame rate is the best you can achieve in that game and you will just have to accept that.

You could always get a real GameCube/Wii/Wii U and run it on that. Nothing beats native play in the end.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i get higher speed in the 32 bit version of dolphin than in the 64 bit version though and that is a fact.
It is not a fact because there are no 32 bit versions made recently so you cannot make such a comparison (the 64 bit build at the time of the 32 bit build might have been poorly optimized). If you use an old version then you might get higher performance as a result of bad emulation. For a third time I repeat that the emulation team focus on accuracy first and foremost with optimization and speed being only a second consideration. This is the case of most emulators that are not aimed at a hand full of games for pirating reasons (some of the early emulators were).

Level 21
every version made after the last 32 bit build is listed as development builds with no "stable builds" since that. i am telling you time and time again that many versions have been tested and none of them runs metroid prime 2 as well as the last 32 bit build. please try to listen this time. if you do not i will just assume that you are a troll and ignore further posts from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.